List Mgmt. Draft Watch 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Was at the game today.

Francis was seriously good. I mean seriously.

Not much in the way of forwards and outside line breaking mids though. Milera the closest to impressing but more as a crafty forward than an outside mid.

Bonner is the man for us.

really want francis back playing with us as soon as possible. seems to be able to play tall or run through the midfield. built well and tough on the ball. against north he was just running through packs once his confidence got up. always a fan of anyone who goes back with the flight of it, and we seem to breed a few of them. will be shocked if he doesn't become quite the player in the afl.

snelling isn't the biggest but he's at the bottom of every pack and haysman looks like he's on stand by for one direction, but again another kid who will put his head over it time after time. stoked to see we've given these guys a chance in the seniors like they deserved. just a bit of a bummer knowing we have to replace them for next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aaron Francis intercept marks against Vic Metro

Played a game in 18s against him last year and he tore it apart in defense. Reads the play so well, great vertical too which obviously helps duking the ball constantly as he seems to. Although we've already got a few 'like' him but maybe not to this quality or potential.

Played a game in 18s against him last year and he tore it apart in defense. Reads the play so well, great vertical too which obviously helps duking the ball constantly as he seems to. Although we've already got a few 'like' him but maybe not to this quality or potential.
A guy that good could surely push into the midfield as well , wing etc

Aaron Francis intercept marks against Vic Metro

Francis is a star no doubt - but what role does he play for us or at AFL level? He is 192 cm tall defender.

I imagine him being an outstanding half back flanker type that takes the Gunstons and will be an excellent player at AFL level.

Given we are in need of a 196cm+ defender, have Shaw and Lever to play the 3rd tall defender role and Cheney/Kelly for the mid sized I just can't see why we would need him if he was available.

Schache please.
One of my favourite seasons of football was when I was a little kid and Sturt (who were always s**t) stormed into the finals (1988). I reckon we were 3-8 at the halfway point of the season but then out of nowhere went 9-2 in the run home and finished 4th. Laurence Schache (this kid's dad) and Ian Willmott played CHF and FF and both kicked a swag of goals. Was awesome.

Lost the elimination final, sacked our coach and won about 10 wooden spoons in a row after that... I still don't know who was responsible for sacking Merv Keane but it surely is about the dumbest move in the history of sport given where we'd come from and what followed. To top it off, whichever dumbarse was calling the shots at the club at the time decided to move on veteran Darryl Smith who was a divisive character but had played about 250 games for us. At the time Smith was sharing a house with two good young Sturt footballers, Schache and also Rob Popplestone. They rallied behind their room mate when he got dumped and all three moved to West Torrens the next season :rolleyes:

A couple of years later we hired Trigg as coach and our self destruction as a club was complete.

Anyhow... Schache went up to Brisbane and kicked 6 goals against the Crows in a game I recall. Looked like he'd be a decent AFL player but copped a bad knee injury and was eventually delisted. Came back to West Torrens but did his knee even worse and never played again.

About 10 years ago I read that he'd picked up some weird illness and died :( So this poor young kid would have only been 5-6 years old at the time.

Francis is a star no doubt - but what role does he play for us or at AFL level? He is 192 cm tall defender.

I imagine him being an outstanding half back flanker type that takes the Gunstons and will be an excellent player at AFL level.

Given we are in need of a 196cm+ defender, have Shaw and Lever to play the 3rd tall defender role and Cheney/Kelly for the mid sized I just can't see why we would need him if he was available.
Hopefully he hasn't finished growing yet. Another 4cm would be handy.

If Shaw is at the Club in 2016 i'll eat my hat.
Talia and Lever are both 194cm+ pair them with Francis. Happy Days.

If Shaw is at the Club in 2016 i'll eat my hat.
Talia and Lever are both 194cm+ pair them with Francis. Happy Days.

If his body holds up (massive if I know), I'd think he would be. I doubt the club would have bothered with that unusual surgical procedure he had if they didn't plan on persisting with him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back