List Mgmt. Draft Watch 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Francis is a star no doubt - but what role does he play for us or at AFL level? He is 192 cm tall defender.

I imagine him being an outstanding half back flanker type that takes the Gunstons and will be an excellent player at AFL level.

Given we are in need of a 196cm+ defender, have Shaw and Lever to play the 3rd tall defender role and Cheney/Kelly for the mid sized I just can't see why we would need him if he was available.
Partington's fellow vice-captain Aaron Francis again starred throughout the match, this time playing primarily inside the Croweaters' attacking 50m arc. Francis, who took 12 defensive marks against Victoria Metro in his last outing, finished with 22 disposals, eight marks, four goals and seven tackles to underline his unbridled talent.

Looks like he's not just a mid sized defender

Other than Francis who will most likely be gone by our first pick, bar a 2nd half of the season debacle, who of the SA players especially mids, are likely to be available.

And secondly are they outside players with footskills

Other than Francis who will most likely be gone by our first pick, bar a 2nd half of the season debacle, who of the SA players especially mids, are likely to be available.

And secondly are they outside players with footskills
Luke Partington looks to be easily the best to suit our needs [pace and skills] but doubtful he'll still be there at our pick if he continues in a similar vain for the rest of the season, one can hope but...

Luke Partington looks to be easily the best to suit our needs [pace and skills] but doubtful he'll still be there at our pick if he continues in a similar vain for the rest of the season, one can hope but...
Would it be a case of finding a way to upgrade our pick ?? Given we are probably going to be around 9-10 its a hard ask.

So can he get to pick 10 ?

One of my favourite seasons of football was when I was a little kid and Sturt (who were always s**t) stormed into the finals (1988). I reckon we were 3-8 at the halfway point of the season but then out of nowhere went 9-2 in the run home and finished 4th. Laurence Schache (this kid's dad) and Ian Willmott played CHF and FF and both kicked a swag of goals. Was awesome.

Lost the elimination final, sacked our coach and won about 10 wooden spoons in a row after that... I still don't know who was responsible for sacking Merv Keane but it surely is about the dumbest move in the history of sport given where we'd come from and what followed. To top it off, whichever dumbarse was calling the shots at the club at the time decided to move on veteran Darryl Smith who was a divisive character but had played about 250 games for us. At the time Smith was sharing a house with two good young Sturt footballers, Schache and also Rob Popplestone. They rallied behind their room mate when he got dumped and all three moved to West Torrens the next season :rolleyes:

A couple of years later we hired Trigg as coach and our self destruction as a club was complete.

Anyhow... Schache went up to Brisbane and kicked 6 goals against the Crows in a game I recall. Looked like he'd be a decent AFL player but copped a bad knee injury and was eventually delisted. Came back to West Torrens but did his knee even worse and never played again.

About 10 years ago I read that he'd picked up some weird illness and died :( So this poor young kid would have only been 5-6 years old at the time.

gees, I was waiting for the happy ending. 'Twas not to be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Partington's fellow vice-captain Aaron Francis again starred throughout the match, this time playing primarily inside the Croweaters' attacking 50m arc. Francis, who took 12 defensive marks against Victoria Metro in his last outing, finished with 22 disposals, eight marks, four goals and seven tackles to underline his unbridled talent.

Looks like he's not just a mid sized defender

Spot on. He really showed something in that game. They played him forward and then put him in the middle in the last quarter. Sticks is showcasing Francis to the recruiters. I also think he could actually play midfield at AFL level.

I would expect him to play defence against Vic Country though.

Ill keep saying it Riley Bonner is the one we need.
190 cm wingman/flanker. Run and Carry player.
Left Footer who can kick it as well as Brodie Smith
His Right Foot is then as good as half of our natural right footers.

Would be very, very happy with that outcome. I watched the tape again and like his game. He would be a very nice fit for us.
Francis and Partington are the best two (Francis could very well go pick 1), but Bonner is also quality.

I watched Brind with interest, gee he is an odd player. Weird body shape, looks like he is carrying weight, but reads the ball really well and marks well for his height. Then again his kicking action is ordinary. Rookie pick maybe but that's about all.

Skippos
Have you seen Sam Weideman Play he has good Genes I have seen Murray & Mark play at Westies
Would make a ideal forward I don't think he is under the Father Son Rule
Mark only played 28 games for C/Wood
Would he be in the top 20

http://vermontjfc.com.au/social-news/284-weideman-talented-20.html

I don't particularly rate Weideman. My personal point of view is that there's no such thing as a second round key forward - either you've got first round talent or you're not worth it. Forwards taken in the first round have high success rates whereas those taken in the second have single digit success rates.

And I see Weideman as a typically second round key forward - which means I wouldn't even bother. Some rate him top 5-10, some don't at all. I'm closer to the latter; I don't think this is the draft to go KPF.

Well can almost guarantee that will be the case
if we lose dangerfield which we probably will, we only get a pick one after our first rounder so how is that going to get a top talent of the draft. wouldnt really want to trade say picks 13 and 14 for pick 5 would we?

if we lose dangerfield which we probably will, we only get a pick one after our first rounder so how is that going to get a top talent of the draft. wouldnt really want to trade say picks 13 and 14 for pick 5 would we?
You make the assumption that he will walk as a Free Agent. This is unlikely to be the case. I agree it's likely that he will leave (probably 50-50 at best), but the club should get more for him than the FA compensation as he is a Restricted Free Agent.

Being a RFA means that the club has the right to match the FA offer made by his chosen club. Once that happens, he can no longer leave as a FA and the FA compensation is off the table. I don't think the club will force him to stay, instead I think they will probably trade him to his preferred club. I'm not saying we'll get full value, but we should get more than the FA compensation would have been.

Terry Wallace talking down the talent in this draft. Saying list managers and recruiters out scouring the NEAFL etc for mature age talent.
Doesn't appear like a superstar draft but a very even one. Wallace is a flog mind you

Remove this Banner Ad

Back