List Mgmt. 2015 general list discussion and speculation - PLEASE START NEW THREAD ON BREAKING NEWS

How did you rate Geelong's trade and free agency period?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And cut Sheringham from the rookie list for gods sake. Drives me nuts that guy haha
It is his last year on the rookie list so he has to go one way (delisted) or the other (promoted).

I suspect the former.

Cowan is the first one. That's a no brainer. As you say, plus Then a probable retiree in Enright. Then Stringer.

Just asking: we are sure that Cowan is better than the likes of Schroder and Stringer, aren't we? People can talk about how ruthless it would be to cut Cowan, given his horrific run with injuries, but if you keep him on the list, chances are someone like Schroder or Stringer (if not both) is gone. And I'd have both ahead of Cowan.

That's 3, and that's not including guys who may seek greener pastures - which could be any of Hunt, Schroder, Brown, even Smedts.

The only way I see Brown or Schroder staying is if they have no offers from other clubs. Even then, they'd be long odds to get another contract. But I'd probably also have to ask, along the same lines of the above question: are we sure that Hamling will ever be as good as Brown is right now? I like Hunt, but he looks certain to finish this season having played significant parts of five seasons, 60+ games, but just two finals of a possible 11+ (depending on how far we go this year).

Walker - according to this board - is out of contract at the end of 2014. With Vardy back and Kersten now in the senior team, how many games is he going to get next year? Or chop Walker and keep Brown.

Don't upgraded rookies and draft picks sign two-year contracts? If that's correct, Walker and Burbury will be at Geelong in 2015.

With regards to Enright, I say it's his call and obviously his call could be drastically shaped by what we do in September. If we somehow win the flag from here, it's hard to imagine he won't retire. If we assume there's no trades or free agency pick-ups and we want three active picks in the draft, along with Blicavs being promoted, we either need Enright to retire and three delistings, or four delistings.

I think Brown, Schroder and Hunt will walk if they get an offer elsewhere, which makes it all pretty straightforward, as far as I'm concerned. But if Enright retires and Cowan (presumably) goes to the rookie list, wouldn't that be one more space than we need, even without factoring in a player like Stringer, whom I actually like? If that's right, then at least one of Stringer, Schroder, Hunt, Brown, or Sheringham could get a reprieve (if they want to stay, which, as mentioned, Hunt, Brown and Schroder at least probably won't, unless they have no other options).

Hey guys, someone on our board has mentioned Schroder as someone St Kilda would like as an inside mid. Just looked him up and saw he won the Liston Trophy in 2013, how is he not getting a game for you guys? Also, is he someone you guys think your club is wanting to keep and replace someone or possibly depth that you would consider trading?

Cheers

He seems to have been here for a long time but is still only 21/22. If he was KPP , he would still have plenty of time yet if the club rated him , but it seems they prefer others because we have had a couple of debutant mids this year. Ideally he will be kept but If a deal comes that's right and fair they may feel he is not irreplaceable. A touch of Moloney and Prismall about him in that way.

So whats the offer I guess. For R3 , which I figure is all we will get , we may as well keep him unless he wants out.

Just asking: we are sure that Cowan is better than the likes of Schroder and Stringer, aren't we? People can talk about how ruthless it would be to cut Cowan, given his horrific run with injuries, but if you keep him on the list, chances are someone like Schroder or Stringer (if not both) is gone. And I'd have both ahead of Cowan.

;;;;

The only way I see Brown or Schroder staying is if they have no offers from other clubs. Even then, they'd be long odds to get another contract. But I'd probably also have to ask, along the same lines of the above question: are we sure that Hamling will ever be as good as Brown is right now? I like Hunt, but he looks certain to finish this season having played significant parts of five seasons, 60+ games, but just two finals of a possible 11+ (depending on how far we go this year).

;;;;;

Don't upgraded rookies and draft picks sign two-year contracts? If that's correct, Walker and Burbury will be at Geelong in 2015.

With regards to Enright, I say it's his call and obviously his call could be drastically shaped by what we do in September. If we somehow win the flag from here, it's hard to imagine he won't retire. If we assume there's no trades or free agency pick-ups and we want three active picks in the draft, along with Blicavs being promoted, we either need Enright to retire and three delistings, or four delistings.

I think Brown, Schroder and Hunt will walk if they get an offer elsewhere, which makes it all pretty straightforward, as far as I'm concerned. But if Enright retires and Cowan (presumably) goes to the rookie list, wouldn't that be one more space than we need, even without factoring in a player like Stringer, whom I actually like? If that's right, then at least one of Stringer, Schroder, Hunt, Brown, or Sheringham could get a reprieve (if they want to stay, which, as mentioned, Hunt, Brown and Schroder at least probably won't, unless they have no other options).

Are we sure Cowan is better? How could "we" be , but internally he seems liked /rated etc and they have made the noises that means he is staying.

And as much as it anoys me /us on here...im not sure they really care about what pick they get. Once they decide to move on a player they basically just try to do the deal to the preferred home. I wonder why other clubs see us as fair ?

The jungle drums indicate Enright may call it a day,so for me him and possibly 5 others either delisted or traded for up graded draft picks.

There's going to be a very fine balance between a clean out to facilitate a continuing rebuild, and making sure we don't leave ourselves too short of at least semi-experienced depth players to cover injuries.
We have some of those in Brown/Walker and Hunt/Stringer/Sheringham/Shroder (ie all the touted delisteees/traders), but that's not really many when you're talking only about 25/26 ahead of them. And you might not want to get rid of all of them if it means injured players always have to be replaced by sub-5-gamers.

I see your point Fred, but the risk comes now or in 4 years when these blokes show they really can't deliver and we are left holding our weenis in our hands.
Given that the blokes you've listed wouldn't help us to a flag even just as covering/depth players, move em on now I say; on balance it's less costly to do it now.

I see your point Fred, but the risk comes now or in 4 years when these blokes show they really can't deliver and we are left holding our weenis in our hands. Move em on now I say; on balance it's less costly to do it now.

It's a fine balance.
They may do it with all the touted possibilities, but my feeling is that some of them will be kept for depth at least until they have a good luck at all our 2013 draftees.
After all, despite the looney tunes comments of some posters, it's not as if any of them have shown themselves completely out of place in the 1sts, and there have been signs in most cases that an extended run might produce a player

Are we sure Cowan is better? How could "we" be , but internally he seems liked /rated etc and they have made the noises that means he is staying.

My point is, I know they've said that Cowan will be staying, but I'd have a fair bit of sympathy for guys like Schroder and Stringer, if Cowan is kept on (even on the rookie list) and they're not, especially if that means the end of their AFL careers.

And as much as it anoys me /us on here...im not sure they really care about what pick they get. Once they decide to move on a player they basically just try to do the deal to the preferred home. I wonder why other clubs see us as fair ?

I would suggest it's because they realise that our football department considers the spot that they would open up on the senior list to be more valuable than having them linger around like a stale fart for another year. And if that's the value that Geelong is putting on those players, why should the other club give Geelong something that it values in return? Buyers' market.

I see your point Fred, but the risk comes now or in 4 years when these blokes show they really can't deliver and we are left holding our weenis in our hands.
Given that the blokes you've listed wouldn't help us to a flag even just as covering/depth players, move em on now I say; on balance it's less costly to do it now.

Like this...

Weenis.jpg

It's a fine balance.
They may do it with all the touted possibilities, but my feeling is that some of them will be kept for depth at least until they have a good luck at all our 2013 draftees.
After all, despite the looney tunes comments of some posters, it's not as if any of them have shown themselves completely out of place in the 1sts, and there have been signs in most cases that an extended run might produce a player
I'm keeping Walker:D

It's a fine balance.
The Looney Tunes supporters are why I keep coming back.

They keep it interesting (some of them I even agree with at times).

End of the day it'll often come down to personal opinion. I like Schroder and think he deserves to keep his spot ahead of someone like Cowan (who never seems fit...however that logic then flies in the face of me accepting the club's stand on offering Menzel another contract even though, deep down, I doubt he'll be the same player when/if he gets back).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Draft picks get 2 or more.
Upgraded rookies only have to be given one. Stringer was given 2, but we don't know about Walker and Burbury.

I'm not sure at all. Based on exposed form I'd have to say Stringer has looked the best at senior level. I'd be keeping him and Schroder ahead of Cowan without blinking.

Doesn't look like it right now. You won't find many admitting that however.

You could well be right. I went off the contract listing page which said 2014 for Walker. If that's wrong obviously he'll still be around.

It's strange, to me now looking at the VFL team, it's more about which players are almost certainly going to leave, as opposed to who will certainly stay. I can't find too many players in there that I think "yep, they definitely want them around". I almost get the impression they're washing their hands of a good chunk of the 2008-2011 drafts (aside from those that have already made it - Duncan, Christensen, Guthrie, Horlin-Smith etc.)

I think they will want to turn over at least 5 senior listed players. 3 ND, blitz elevation and 1 FA.

My guess would be Enright retires, Cowen and Sheringham delisted (which may free up a rookie spot for Cowen to be re-rookied) and 3 of Hunt, Brown, Shredder, Stringer or Smedts seek potential trades for further opportunity similar to the Charlie Gardner, Ryan Gamble, Brett Prismal's of the past.

Could we swap our 2nd rounder with Melbourne for a Hunt? Or with the bulldogs for Brown?

Only earth breaking suggestion would be to move 1 more of the 30 plus crew on. Not sure who though as Lonergan is contracted for next year and the rest are superstars, maybe Kelly (surely not).

As for free agents Frawley seems a good fit as we have an ageing backline, and Geary seem to fill the void of our small defender issues (Bews is coming along but you need more than 1), and help with the giant void Enright will leave. People are suggesting Thurlow for this role, but I think he will end up being more midfield / half forward, with the ability to go back.

The interesting thing this time around is that "the old guys on the chopping block" are playing far better and more frequently than Pods, Chapman and Hunt of last year... hmmm not so easy to move on.

I meant don't cut seniors!
That is the artery.
We've cut enough recently.
I don't care if they are declining in speed etc. Hang a bit. Give the 22 year olds a chance to step up.

Fair enough, as I said above none have really spudded it up this year like the ones we ended up cutting last year.

I think we need to go really hard for frawley, even it means overpaying him.

We are f*cked in 2 years without him IMO.

Lonergan and rivers will be gone (and maybe mackie), Taylor will be 30.

We will have kolo in to replace rivers, but who replaces lonergan? Who takes and beats the opposition's no.1 forward each week?

It won't be hamling IMO (if he is even on the list).

We need, more than any position, a youngish, quality no.1 big full back. It's crucial.

His age profile is perfect for us (same as selwood and Hawkins) to guide our next generation. We would get him for free and will be free to go after other needs via draft.

If we could get frawley it would ensure we remain in the top 3rd of the ladder whilst we fully transition.

Moving on from frawley, I think enright will retire, delist schroder, Cowan, sheringham (rookie), maybe stringer. Look to trade hunt and brown for pick upgrades.

I think we need to put more effort into better picks. We don't have a lot of holes on our list IMO, it's more about quality for mine.

If we did get frawley, I'd focus on a biggish clearance mid and classy dangerous medium forward in the draft. Blakley/aharn would be my preferences in the first round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back