Traded EGM, Football Josh Mahoney - Footy Operations boss at the AFL - 28/8

Remove this Banner Ad

I still can’t fathom how all of that is within his remit and he’s not an executive. He should almost be the highest paid person in the entire club on or off the field if that is all on him.
I think he would be on the executive team

It's pretty murky who actually works for the club and who reports to who these days (eep) but in 2018 when they last published it it was;

Essendon Football Club Executive Team:
Chief Executive Officer – Xavier Campbell
Chief Operating Officer – Kevin Dixon
Chief Marketing Officer – Justin Rodski
General Manager Community, Academies and Women’s Football Development – Darren Harris
General Manager Commercial Operations – Brenton Humphreys
General Manager People and Culture – Lisa Lawry
General Manager Corporate Services – Chris Pehlivanis
General Manager of Football – Dan Richardson
General Manager The Long Walk and Indigenous Affairs – Leanne Brooke
General Manager List and Recruiting – Adrian Dodoro

You'd think the heirs and successors of each of those roles would also be on the executive team? Although on reflection I don't think any of them are even still there except ole dodo 🤣

Josh Mahoney to step away from Essendon at end of this season​

Essendon Executive General Manager of Football Josh Mahoney has decided to step down from his role at the end of the season.

Mahoney, who joined Essendon at the end of 2020, said the timing was right for this decision.

“This has been a difficult decision to come to but one that I am confident is the right for all involved.

“We are in year one of a new build, under a new coach and in the position as EGM- Football, you need to be 100% committed to the role to see the journey through.

“The past month, I’ve been reflecting, and have come to the realisation that I need a new challenge and now is the right time to make that move.

“We’ve made a lot of changes to the football department throughout my time at the Club, including the establishment of our first-ever AFLW team and program. I am confident that with Brad and Natalie as senior coaches, and the experienced team’s we have assembled around them, the Club’s future looks very promising. I am proud of the role that I have played in helping create a world class football environment at Essendon and there are good times ahead.

“In total, I’ve been involved at AFL club level for more than 25 years as a player, coach, and GM of Football for a decade at both Essendon and Melbourne. It has been a privilege and I look forward to what is next.”

Mahoney will finish up at Essendon at the conclusion of the AFL season.

Essendon CEO Craig Vozzo thanked Mahoney for his contribution to Essendon.

“Josh has done an outstanding job, particularly in helping to navigate the Club through the significant changes to our Football Program that were undertaken at the end of last season. He has also been instrumental in the establishment of our AFLW team and program, something we are all proud of and excited about moving forward.

“I’d like to thank Josh for all his efforts and for the Club-first approach he has clearly shown in arriving at this position. He is well placed for the next challenge ahead and we wish him and his family all the very best moving forward.”

The Club will now undertake a process to identify a replacement for this role.

dodoro GIF by AFL

The Club will now undertake a process to identify a replacement for this role.

Why bother? Just give it to Adrian as whoever else gets it won't get a chance to do their job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only plus out of this is he is pretty much leaving because control of the AFL mens side has pretty much been handed to Scott / McPherson / Vosso to rebuild.
As he said. Year one of a rebuild so his work previous work has been made a bit redundant.

Not sure I would be saying Dodoro wins . It is more about the other three taking control but Dodoro certainly threw a spanner in the works .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back