Traded EGM, Football Josh Mahoney - Footy Operations boss at the AFL - 28/8

Remove this Banner Ad

i wonder how much he stamped his papers backing Rutten in the review.
i'm not necessarily taking this as Dodoro wins (could be next domino if Scott, Vozzo and Barham are clearing house), but Mahoney feels like a loss.

So, what's Balme doing these days?
Probably did not help but the fact is Scott and Vosso are running the show now so anything he had planned is redundant.
Probably unfortunate to have landed the job in the cross over to Truck and was big on sticking the course .
Now the course has changed again.

Probably did not help but the fact is Scott and Vosso are running the show now so anything he had planned is redundant.
Probably unfortunate to have landed the job in the cross over to Truck and was big on sticking the course .
Now the course has changed again.
always struck me as a guy who set a plan in place and had the patience/stubbornness to see it through. Perhaps a case of the latter here.
Or as mentioned above, the job has been hollowed out. EGM is an expensive shirt if you're not filling it.

Perhaps this is the outcome of having a decent football operator both in the coaches seat and as CEO.

Dodo wins. The old boys win. The sycophants and lickspittles win. Essendon footy club loses. The players lose. The members lose. The finals drought continues. What a ******* s**t show.
At this point I'm convinced the once great Essendon Football Club is just a nice little retirement package for the old boys who can sit around twiddling their thumbs, reminiscing on their past success whilst happily watching the modern club go down the gurgler, knowing that the happy clappers will 'stick fat' and chuck money at the club for the rest of their lives.

always struck me as a guy who set a plan in place and had the patience/stubbornness to see it through. Perhaps a case of the latter here.
Or as mentioned above, the job has been hollowed out. EGM is an expensive shirt if you're not filling it.

Perhaps this is the outcome of having a decent football operator both in the coaches seat and as CEO.
I would say the job he signed on for has changed due to the new sheriff in town. He would be disappointed what he started ended up going a different way within 3 years.

I would say the job he signed on for has changed due to the new sheriff in town. He would be disappointed what he started ended up going a different way within 3 years.
What did Mahoney try implementing? Seems like a guy who came in and threw s**t at colleagues to make himself seem better, but I'm unsure what footprint he has actually left at the club where you say "glad we did that"
?

What did Mahoney try implementing? Seems like a guy who came in and threw s**t at colleagues to make himself seem better, but I'm unsure what footprint he has actually left at the club where you say "glad we did that"
?
Well he watered down Adrian's role and set up recruiting meetings that involved more of the coach plus development coach and GM of footy and the boards footy representative which was not happening. A lot of the stuff was in its infancy as he only started in December 2020 and then they dumped the coach second year in. Hard to make a footprint in two seasons. Even more so when they bring in a new Coach and CEO and give them most of the power. '
At the end of the day he was part of Trucks rebuild which had the right idea but not the power . Now the power is with two blokes who have come in and demanded everyone to stay out of the way. We will see how it goes.

Well he watered down Adrian's role and set up recruiting meetings that involved more of the coach plus development coach and GM of footy and the boards footy representative which was not happening. A lot of the stuff was in its infancy as he only started in December 2020 and then they dumped the coach second year in. Hard to make a footprint in two seasons. Even more so when they bring in a new Coach and CEO and give them most of the power. '
At the end of the day he was part of Trucks rebuild which had the right idea but not the power . Now the power is with two blokes who have come in and demanded everyone to stay out of the way. We will see how it goes.
Do you think Scott and Mahoney had differing visions of what recruiting and the list should look like?

i couldn't give a s**t.

As far as I'm conferenced every single person at the club from the CEO to the bomber shop staff are at risk.

win games of football. I dont want to hear anything else from the club if it isn't that.
Do you think Scott and Mahoney had differing visions of what recruiting and the list should look like?

No Mahoney called out dodo for his s**t drafting. Now he’s gone. Same as that other bloke Richardson.

Would not say they would be miles apart but part of getting Scott in was giving him more control than the normal coach would but the bigger factor was Vosso as CEO taking a much more hands on role which eroded part of Mahoney's role. Josh came here to build a new era but was cut short pretty much before he got going so he is looking for something else. He was confident he could build something like he did at Melbourne but circumstances changed.

Sheedy can get in the bin too. The fact he and Hird are at this moment touring around congratulating themselves with the 2000 cup sums them and their mindset up perfectly.

Bit harsh on Hirdy. No matter the past and what’s happened he’s still apart of this club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit harsh on Hirdy. No matter the past and what’s happened he’s still apart of this club.
He was boss when the earth was near scorched at Essington and then hoping enough water had passed under the bridge he was happy to be a part of Sheedy’s grand plan to undermine the coaching selection process (That saw Scott land the job) in order to shoe horn himself straight back into the top job in a classic Essendon old boys manoeuvre.
Both were more than comfortable for the club to look like an absolute basket case across the entire footy landscape so long as they could achieve their self serving outcomes. So much so that Kevin blatantly, publicly white anted the coaching selection process.
One can only assume it was some freakish dumb luck that the club was saved from Sheedy using it as his personal plaything yet again.

Last edited:
Not sure he has won . He may have won his little battle with Mahoney but Josh is leaving because Scott , McPherson and Vosso have taken over the rebuild .
They should move Dodoro on at the end of the year but this doesn’t mean Dodoro is going to get back any control.
Trust me . Righty or wrongly Scott has the power now .
Pardon the intrusion but from my perspective unless Scott has learned from the past, then it's probably a bad thing. We had Geoff Walsh for a few years in the middle of Scott's decade with us, in the last year of Walsh's tenure he supposedly checked out because he lost the power struggle with Scott . After Walsh left we promoted Cameron Joyce to GM of footy. Previous to the role his resume was... opposition scout for West Coast and then several years as our list manager... and chief Brad Scott brown noser. Joyce was an absolute disaster for us and was just a yes man for Scott, and we all know how that turned out for the club.

Who ever Essendon gives the role to needs to be empowered to be able to challenge Scott, or else I would near guarantee things won't get better.

Pardon the intrusion but from my perspective unless Scott has learned from the past, then it's probably a bad thing. We had Geoff Walsh for a few years in the middle of Scott's decade with us, in the last year of Walsh's tenure he supposedly checked out because he lost the power struggle with Scott . After Walsh left we promoted Cameron Joyce to GM of footy. Previous to the role his resume was... opposition scout for West Coast and then several years as our list manager... and chief Brad Scott brown noser. Joyce was an absolute disaster for us and was just a yes man for Scott, and we all know how that turned out for the club.

Who ever Essendon gives the role to needs to be empowered to be able to challenge Scott, or else I would near guarantee things won't get better.
Being a political animal isn't a bad thing, Essendon needs that in a senior coach or you end up with a revolving door.

On the other hand, the last bloke the club revolved around was James Hird in 2011-2015. (Thankfully Scott isn't in his first job, so shouldn't end in the same kind of disaster.)

As to Cameron Joyce etc etc, I think there's enough cash at Essendon to at least get someone half-qualified. At the moment we have a highly paid senior coach and a highly paid panel of assistants, but I suspect when these assistants eventually go, their replacements will be cheaper, and there'll be cash for a half-qualified footy manager.

The last few appointments as head of footy are below;

General Manager/Head of Football (when combined) or General Manager/Head of Football Operations (when separate):
  • Josh Mahoney: 20 years of AFL experience as a player, assistant coach and senior administrator, most recently as Melbourne’s general manager of football for the past seven seasons
  • Dan Richardson: nearly five years at Richmond including this year’s drought-breaking premiership season
  • Rob Kerr: former Brisbane Lions List and Recruiting Manager; before that talent ID, capability building and leadership development at two global management firms; CEO of the AFLPA; Executive Director, Player Development at the AFLPA; Assistant Coach at Essendon.
General Manager/Head of Performance (when separate):
  • Dan McPherson: former Melbourne football operations boss
  • Neil Craig: former Head of Coaching Development and Strategy at Essednon, before that Caretaker Coach at Melbourne, Director of Sports Performance at Melbourne, Senior Coach at Adelaide, 15 years at the Australian Institute of Sport in sports science and fitness.

What was the right idea?
Josh came here to build a new era but was cut short pretty much before he got going so he is looking for something else. He was confident he could build something like he did at Melbourne but circumstances changed.
As facilities and administration manager?

I questioned Scott because I had heard from things North supporters during his time there. Who knows how it turns out but our CEO , Craig Vosso , has equally as much say .

The headline here is ‘respected footy lifer has to put up with Essendon’s s**t for a couple of years and it’s so coco bananas he has to quit’

There is perhaps a little smoke, here, but it's also a leap.

Scott has acknowledged having a big say in recruiting Tsatas. He said words to the effect that the breakaway clearance / outside run game was where the game was heading.

I think it's a perfectly valid argument. Whether it was the right call for Essendon is complicated by the pretty pathetic excuse for hard ball midfield we have had since 2014 and the way the competitiveness and grit within the culture has disintegrated in that time.

There is a pretty clear contrast between using 5 on a mid who is not a renowned hard ball player, and the sorts of players you'd associate with Melbourne under Mahoney.

There is perhaps a little smoke, here, but it's also a leap.

Scott has acknowledged having a big say in recruiting Tsatas. He said words to the effect that the breakaway clearance / outside run game was where the game was heading.

I think it's a perfectly valid argument. Whether it was the right call for Essendon is complicated by the pretty pathetic excuse for hard ball midfield we have had since 2014 and the way the competitiveness and grit within the culture has disintegrated in that time.

There is a pretty clear contrast between using 5 on a mid who is not a renowned hard ball player, and the sorts of players you'd associate with Melbourne under Mahoney.
Phillipou would have been the Mahoney pick .

Phillipou would have been the Mahoney pick .
I don’t know much about who wanted who (or anything else for that matter) but I was down at a club function and Dan McPherson spoke just after the draft aabout why we went with Tsatas and it was pretty clear that he was not a fan of how Phillopou presented. Reading between the lines a bit it - it was kind of implied that they thought he was a bit of a dick. Can’t remember what he said exactly but it was something along the lines that Philipou had reached out to the club after we did not pick him up to let us know that he was going to make us pay when he played us! Not sure whether he was joking or not.

Cara might be the next one to go I suspect.

I don’t know much about who wanted who (or anything else for that matter) but I was down at a club function and Dan McPherson spoke just after the draft aabout why we went with Tsatas and it was pretty clear that he was not a fan of how Phillopou presented. Reading between the lines a bit it - it was kind of implied that they thought he was a bit of a dick. Can’t remember what he said exactly but it was something along the lines that Philipou had reached out to the club after we did not pick him up to let us know that he was going to make us pay when he played us! Not sure whether he was joking or not.

Cara might be the next one to go I suspect.
Phillipou was a bit of a loose cannon before the draft as far as confidence and ego went .

Think it was draft night when Phillipou made the remark to Dodoro. Some called it a bit of banter . Others called it him being a dick .

Being selected by the Dodo has been a curse cast upon budding league footballers for two decades. Can certainly pick a donkey out of a field of thoroughbreds, our man Dodo. Phillipou should have shown some damned appreciation that he’d been spared the pick of death.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back