Roast Enter the Sunday twilight zone!

Remove this Banner Ad

I know it's probably not really thread worthy, but I wanted to discuss it anyway. (and I gave it a Roast prefix just for good measure! :p )

Can someone explain to me why we are playing four (Last week) Sunday "twilight" games in row? Yes, I know, Perth's one isn't technically a twilight, but for us easterners, it will be on during the twilight time slot.
Take a look:

Round 18- 4:40PM MCG
Round 19- 4:40PM MCG
Round 20- 2:40PM(4:40PM AEST) PS

and we are not done yet with this shitty time-slot...

Round 22
- 4:40PM SPO

Yeah, anyway, I guess it's probably got something to do with pay TV rights etc.

Thoughts?

Yeah... Foxtel wants big names to play on their channel. Fair enough I say, they pay all this money so they should get some big games.

It might get us bigger crowds in the next few weeks, if people can't see the game on TV they're more likely to go to the match instead. I actually like Foxtel games more than Channel 7 games because it means I don't have to watch the game in potato vision (Terrible looking standard definition). In saying that I am probably going to the Adelaide and Port Adelaide games.

It might get us bigger crowds in the next few weeks, if people can't see the game on TV they're more likely to go to the match instead. I actually like Foxtel games more than Channel 7 games because it means I don't have to watch the game in potato vision (Terrible looking standard definition). In saying that I am probably going to the Adelaide and Port Adelaide games.

Standerd Definition is Fine for me

TradeDraft said:
Standerd Definition is Fine for me

SD is definitely not fine for me. Watching the game on a 62" Tv is absolutely horrible. Hence why I have Foxtel. 100% better than SD, believe me.

SD is definitely not fine for me. Watching the game on a 62" Tv is absolutely horrible. Hence why I have Foxtel. 100% better than SD, believe me.
It bugs me so much that Channel 7 doesn't show games in HD, we've had the capability to show games in HD for almost 10 years now yet we're still being given this crappy coverage. Cricket, NRL, NFL, Golf, NBA, A League and for god's sake even games of Darts are shown in HD yet the biggest sport in Australia is still in SD on Channel 7! It is an absolute joke!

It bugs me so much that Channel 7 doesn't show games in HD, we've had the capability to show games in HD for almost 10 years now yet we're still being given this crappy coverage. Cricket, NRL, NFL, Golf, NBA, A League and for god's sake even games of Darts are shown in HD yet the biggest sport in Australia is still in SD on Channel 7! It is an absolute joke!

Agreed. Channel ten showed the footy in HD up until 2011 and so did channel 7 for a small bit.

What stopped them?

Every broadcast rights deal their is always are key talking point. Last rights it was live games, this rights it will be HD broadcast...

I just watch on my 2.5" phone with the AFL app......but I bring it so close to my face its like watching it on an 80" screen

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. Channel ten showed the footy in HD up until 2011 and so did channel 7 for a small bit.

What stopped them?

Every broadcast rights deal their is always are key talking point. Last rights it was live games, this rights it will be HD broadcast...
Its pretty rediculas given this day and age where everyone has big LCD/plasma screens full HD enabled. Strewth even netball and wnbl are shown on ABC in hd

Sunday 31 May 2009: Collingwood 17.12 (114) def Port Adelaide 11.10 (76)
Sunday 1 May 2011: Collingwood 15.15 (105) def Western Bulldogs 8.9 (57)
Sunday 3 June 2012: Collingwood 23.11 (149) def Gold Coast 7.10 (52)
Saturday 23 June 2012: Collingwood 12.13 (85) def West Coast 12.10 (82)
Saturday 27 July 2013: Collingwood 15.16 (106) def GWS 10.6 (66)
Sunday 4 August 2013: Collingwood 20.13 (133) def Essendon 7.12 (54)
Saturday 24 May 2014: Collingwood 17.7 (109) def West Coast 15.11 (101)

7 wins, 0 losses :thumbsu:

Yeah... Foxtel wants big names to play on their channel. Fair enough I say, they pay all this money so they should get some big games.

True we have been very fortunate in the last with our FTA coverage, we are not in a position to complain.

So, really only two, given last week wasn't a twilight fixture.

Our timeslots this year have been crap. We've barely played Friday or Saturday night, just these lame sunday twilight time slots.
So far this season we've had eight games in a Thurs/Fri/Sat night slot and eight during the day. Hard to complain about really.

Just on the talk of HD. When it is a 7 broadcasted game but you are watching it on fox sports/foxfooty HD is it still HD? I have noticed that it certainly isn't as good quality as the normal single foxtel games but still seems better than what is on channel 7......
Anyone else noticed this? What is it?

To answer the OP - It is total and utter bullshit! OUR CLUB NEEDS TO TELL THE AFL THAT THIS s**t IS NOT ON NEXT SEASON. Tell the AFL to stick Sunday twilight games up their arse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back