Premier Lg EPL Matchday 14 - On Optus Sport

Premier League Football

Remove this Banner Ad

Has anyone been banned for criticising a decision on social media before?

Would have thought a fine is more standard.

Don't know what the exact guidelines are but considering it was done immediately after telling said referee to * off he's very lucky to not cop a ban.

Or he thought the first whistle Spurs defenders stopped and therefore may have been disadvantaged
He didn't blow the whistle on the first occasion. Was discussed on MOTD.

If he had blown I don't think he could play advantage.

Last edited:
Don't know what the exact guidelines are but considering it was done immediately after telling said referee to * off he's very lucky to not cop a ban.
As mentioned some have said it was Lo Celso he was telling to * off. But I haven't seen the footage.

It's appropriate to leave the PGMOL explanations to the key stuff. Red cards, penalties, offside, goals. And that's the end of it.

Them having to appease the Man City fan base over what is just a decision to pull back an advantage is quite ridiculous for me. As I said, if PGMOL were to do that, then another club will demand explanations as to why a corner wasn't given to their team etc etc. It's open season. Then another club will want clarification over other minor decisions.

There won't be any PGMOL explanation for this nor should any club expect there to be.
It's not really a Man City thing, or just a thing to appease any fans.

I think it would be a good thing for the game for PGMOL to be more open. And a good thing for the refs themselves.

No-one is arguing that they explain corner decisions (more invented arguments that no-one is making), just key or controversial incidents

Advantage hasn’t been two arms for years now.

I wonder if he called advantage, couldn’t see Grealish and assumed Haaland hoofed it forward to no one.
Fair enough. Don't think it is consistently applied then.
Certainly seen it this season, across multiple leagues.

It's not really a Man City thing, or just a thing to appease any fans.

I think it would be a good thing for the game for PGMOL to be more open. And a good thing for the refs themselves.

No-one is arguing that they explain corner decisions (more invented arguments that no-one is making), just key or controversial incidents

Could have fooled me. Have you ever demanded a PGMOL explanation about an advantage not being paid in the past? Seems like it's only the case here because City are involved.

Could have fooled me. Have you ever demanded a PGMOL explanation about an advantage not being paid in the past? Seems like it's only the case here because City are involved.
I supported Liverpool asking for an explanation on the Dias offside (the game you want replayed). And have consistently said that the Howard Webb VAR discussions are a good thing for the sport.

Don't make this into something it's not.

I supported Liverpool asking for an explanation on the Dias offside (the game you want replayed). And have consistently said that the Howard Webb VAR discussions are a good thing for the sport.

Don't make this into something it's not.

Instead of deflecting to something unrelated maybe perhaps answer the question?

Have you ever demanded a PGMOL explanation over an advantage not being allowed by a referee?

It's a pretty simple question.

Instead of deflecting to something unrelated maybe perhaps answer the question?

Have you ever demanded a PGMOL explanation over an advantage not being allowed by a referee?

It's a pretty simple question.
It's a stupid question. And an utterly pointless one.

I've never seen a similar decision like Sundays, so of course I haven't argued for or against any course of action resulting from it.

Had Hooper blown the whistle straight away, I would have been annoyed, but it would have been obvious to me what happened. In this case its very unclear.

Last edited:
It's a stupid question. And an utterly pointless one.

I've never seen a similar decision like Sundays, so of course I haven't argued for or against any course of action resulting from it.

Had Hooper blown the whistle straight away, I would have been annoyed, but it would have been obvious to me what happened. In this case its very unclear.

There's countless examples of referees calling back play when a promising attack has developed. Sometimes referees make the right call on advantage, sometimes they don't. When it involves Grealish receiving the ball 40m from goal and being closed down by 2 Spurs defenders it really isn't worthy of a further look. I bet if Haaland lost his footing and cocked up the pass for a turnover to Spurs who then scored from the same phase of play you'd be advocating the exact opposite of what you are saying on this.

It's good practice for referees to make a call on advantage early. Never a good look if one side thinks you're about to blow up and hesitate momentarily. I'm sure the training will be either blow for a free kick immediately or very clearly signal advantage is being played both with arm gestures & vocally so there can be no doubt.

As for it being a point of PGMOL discussion, nope never going to happen for immaterial scenarios like this.

There's countless examples of referees calling back play when a promising attack has developed. Sometimes referees make the right call on advantage, sometimes they don't. When it involves Grealish receiving the ball 40m from goal and being closed down by 2 Spurs defenders it really isn't worthy of a further look. I bet if Haaland lost his footing and cocked up the pass for a turnover to Spurs who then scored from the same phase of play you'd be advocating the exact opposite of what you are saying on this.

It's good practice for referees to make a call on advantage early. Never a good look if one side thinks you're about to blow up and hesitate momentarily. I'm sure the training will be either blow for a free kick immediately or very clearly signal advantage is being played both with arm gestures & vocally so there can be no doubt.

As for it being a point of PGMOL discussion, nope never going to happen for immaterial scenarios like this.

Yes, there is countless examples. Mostly when a ref blows for a free before seeing how plays develops. As I said, if that happened on this occasion I would have been annoyed but wouldn't feel that I needed any further explanation as to what happened.

This is a totally different situation, one that I havent seen in over 30 years of being a supporter.

It doesn't look like there will be any further comment from PGMOL which is a real shame IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, there is countless examples. Mostly when a ref blows for a free before seeing how plays develops. As I said, if that happened on this occasion I would have been annoyed but wouldn't feel that I needed any further explanation as to what happened.

This is a totally different situation, one that I havent seen in over 30 years of being a supporter.

It doesn't look like there will be any further comment from PGMOL which is a real shame IMO.

Lol, a bit of a reach by yourself here.

We had it happen to use once against Arsenal. Ref brought it back because he wanted to book one of their players instead of let us play a quick free kick.

It happens and is definitely not unique to Man City as you are implying here.

Season 3 Lock GIF by The Simpsons

chef

This whole ref and VAR stuff week after week is getting out of control.

I think Ange is right, the game was better when it was simpler and we just respected the ref's decision. Black and white goal-line technology works, and go back to clear and obvious errors only. If the VAR and ref can't overturn or make a decision in a matter of seconds it can't be clear and obvious and we should just move on with the ref's original decision

This whole ref and VAR stuff week after week is getting out of control.

I think Ange is right, the game was better when it was simpler and we just respected the ref's decision. Black and white goal-line technology works, and go back to clear and obvious errors only. If the VAR and ref can't overturn or make a decision in a matter of seconds it can't be clear and obvious and we should just move on with the ref's original decision

What's that got to do with the advantage call which had nothing to do with VAR?

What's that got to do with the advantage call which had nothing to do with VAR?
I said ref or VAR stuff. Seems like every week it's the main talking point to come from it.

I dunno if VAR has made things worse. But I don't think the ref bashing was this heightened 15-20 years ago. And surely it's not the standard of refereeing was that much better back then

I said ref or VAR stuff. Seems like every week it's the main talking point to come from it.

I dunno if VAR has made things worse. But I don't think the ref bashing was this heightened 15-20 years ago. And surely it's not the standard of refereeing was that much better back then

But that still doesn't answer what about the incident in the City-Spurs game wouldn't be being talked about if VAR was simplified.

The ref made a mistake, so be it. Haaland made mistakes in the game but he's forgivable. Apparently a human referee is supposed to be infallible.

No one suggested that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back