Erm, why is Matthew Wade in the ODI team?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure Paine is the keeper he used to be. His keeping tbh in the bbl didn't inpress me. It was better than Handscomb and Bancroft with the gloves but not many others. He was dropped from the Tasmanian shield side for Tom Triffit, not Ben Dunk. If he was dropped for Dunk you may say it was more about batting but it was Triffit. Almost certainly was dropped because his keeping wasn't as good as Triffit. The selectors would be aware of this and if it was why he was dropped then it's a decent enough reason not to pick him IMO.

I'm not saying it was the right decision to pick Bancroft. It wasn't. As Haddin said the keeper won't have much of an impact with the bat anyway, especially when we will most likely pick Marsh/Faulkner etc, so we should pick the best gloveman. That means you're picking from Nevill, Hartley and Ludeman.
I am not saying Paine should definitely be in the side, but his performances in the BBL and Matador Cup are reason enough for him to be seriously considered (and not dismissed out of hand, like a lot of people here are doing).

His batting in the short formats has been better than any of the other real keepers this summer. Sure, if you're going to pick a pure gloveman he wouldn't be in the running - but when's the last time Australia picked a pure gloveman in any format? Brian Taber?

Haddin's comment about picking the best keeper first is laughable... he would never have played a game.

What you need is an internationally competent keeper... and then you pick the best batsman.

That doesn't mean you pick the best keeper. For instance - Hartley may be the best gloveman in the comp - doesn't mean you pick him if he has to bat 9.

The Bancroft selection hopefully highlights to the selectors why a decent keeper is important.

For mine - the obvious selection is Nevill. Wonderful keeper and competent bat. Wade is coming in at 7/8.

Runs/Wickets saved by a decent keeper is going to outweigh the additional runs scored by a lower end batsman.

Bancroft didn't face a delivery. Even if he'd faced 5 - I'd prefet Nevill behind the stumps.

I liked what Watson said in response about not blaming or exposing guys on debut. Never a truer word.

Haddin has some nerve. His first series as test keeper he threw his glove at a ball to stop it.

I am not saying Paine should definitely be in the side, but his performances in the BBL and Matador Cup are reason enough for him to be seriously considered (and not dismissed out of hand, like a lot of people here are doing).

His batting in the short formats has been better than any of the other real keepers this summer. Sure, if you're going to pick a pure gloveman he wouldn't be in the running - but when's the last time Australia picked a pure gloveman in any format? Brian Taber?
Nevill is probably the best keeper in Australia right now. His batting just happens to be pretty good as well.

and if Nevill was in the team where would he bat ?
The same position

Agreed - that's my point

Wade isn't crucial at the top of the order... He's down the order where he may not even bat

So why risk him keeping to 120 balls for the odd game where he might actually get a meaningful bat

I'm finding this [Bruce voice] delicious [/Bruce voice] reading.

Make him PM. Australian of the year. Knighthood. UN peace prize. He deserves them all.... The offended he generates :D

The amount of Jimmies he has rustled. Keep picking him CA. It gives me endless amusement :)

I'm finding this [Bruce voice] delicious [/Bruce voice] reading.

Make him PM. Australian of the year. Knighthood. UN peace prize. He deserves them all.... The offended he generates :D

The amount of Jimmies he has rustled. Keep picking him CA. It gives me endless amusement :)

A great Victorian, a great Australian!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Nevill a lot, but I certainly wouldn't go that far.

If we picked keepers as glovemen, Hartley would have a mortgage on national duties in all formats.

This is correct. Though from what I can tell Nevill is very good with the gloves and very good with the bat. He's the sort of batsman who will be great coming in to try and set a declaration target, he seems to rotate the strike well and scores quickly.

Wade was M.O.M at MCG in his debut match [ as opener ] I seen him in india during aus.A vs Ind.A series.he is good keeper than Bancroft [ too young ]

but Australian selector should sort out younger one from domestic keeper [ wade ofter failed as batsman when its need most unless slogs,i seen his 134 slog innings in india out of 196 for 7

I'm not sure Paine is the keeper he used to be. His keeping tbh in the bbl didn't inpress me. It was better than Handscomb and Bancroft with the gloves but not many others. He was dropped from the Tasmanian shield side for Tom Triffit, not Ben Dunk. If he was dropped for Dunk you may say it was more about batting but it was Triffit. Almost certainly was dropped because his keeping wasn't as good as Triffit. The selectors would be aware of this and if it was why he was dropped then it's a decent enough reason not to pick him IMO.

I'm not saying it was the right decision to pick Bancroft. It wasn't. As Haddin said the keeper won't have much of an impact with the bat anyway, especially when we will most likely pick Marsh/Faulkner etc, so we should pick the best gloveman. That means you're picking from Nevill, Hartley and Ludeman.
Wrong. Paine would have been replaced with Dunk but Dan Marsh didn't want to burden Dunk with the gloves when he was making runs with the bat, so that made Triffit the keeper. Paine was dropped for his poor batting in the Sheffield Shield, not his keeping like you are trying to make out.

It was a disgrace that Wade got that opportunity at Test level ahead of Hartley.
Keep the tears coming. They're delicious.

I love and I mean love the vitriol Wade and the other Vics get. Haters gonna hate I guess...

Bancroft showed how good he is with the gloves with the wonderful stumping of Raina when Raina was about half a dozen steps out of his crease

4794181-7000012382-tumbl.gif
He was filling in for Wade. Missing chances like that was practically in the job description.

Keep the tears coming. They're delicious.

I love and I mean love the vitriol Wade and the other Vics get. Haters gonna hate I guess...
I love the delusion Vics have on this topic.

A spud is a spud, regardless of which state he comes from. Krezja, Haddin, Watson, Doherty all got just as much hate.

I love the delusion Vics have on this topic.

A spud is a spud, regardless of which state he comes from. Krezja, Haddin, Watson, Doherty all got just as much hate.
I hope he keeps getting picked. Provides almost endless entertainment for me in game day threads :thumbsu:

That won't change, regardless of whether Wade gets dropped. There will always be some poorly-performing player in the team who is the whipping boy of everyone's frustrations. Look at the Test team - first it was Haddin, then Siddle, then Watson. Now it's Mitch Marsh. If he gets dropped everyone else will find someone else to be the focus of their vitriol.

It's mostly just depressing that Vics have to hang their hats on bog-ordinary players like Siddle, Boland and Wade because they can't develop proper cricketers. Every time someone mentions Jon Holland as a potential Australian player, I just well up with pity for Victorian cricket fans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back