FTA-TV ESPN's 30 for 30 doco's

Remove this Banner Ad

If you want to download the doco from You Tube then type "ss" before youtube ie www.ssyoutube...... then pick the format you want to download it in.
Cool. I've been using keepvid all these years which essentially does the same thing.

I watched No Mas last night, was quite good. I'd never heard of that famous fight or even Roberto Duran before seeing that doco.

Cool. I've been using keepvid all these years which essentially does the same thing.

I watched No Mas last night, was quite good. I'd never heard of that famous fight or even Roberto Duran before seeing that doco.

You missed out on some great boxing history. There were some great fighters in the 1980's in the middleweight type divisions.

Surgar Ray Leonard
Roberto Duran
Tommy The Hitman Hearns
Marvellous Marvin Hagler

and guys who started in late 1980's and the best of their career was to mid 1990's
Hector Camacho
Felix Trinidad
Roy Jones Jnr
Virgil Hill

The 1980's was a magnificent decade for boxing as was the early 1990's. Only had 2 organisations WBA and WBC and only had 11 divisions. Not like today 4 organisations and 17 or 18 divisions and all these mickey mouse champions. All these super and junior divisions are crap. There are only 2 kgs above or below one of the traditional 11 divisions. The greed that came in with pay per view once cable/pay TV became ubiquitous around the western world in the 1990's, the ridiculous prize money, and the blatantly crooked promoters have ****ed up international professional boxing.

Did you watch No Mas on ESPN Asia or did you watch a pirated/torent copy?? We don't get it on ESPN in Oz until next Tuesday,

Watched Free Spirits tonight. It was an entertaining doco. Marvin Bad New Barnes was a great character and from the old school of professional sports stars of having fun first and discipline next. Free Spirits was a great name as that is what that group that ended up at the Spirits of St Louis were.

Love Bob Costas' comment at the end that there will never be anything like it, how simultaneously crazy, stupid, infuriating, but so much fun, so exhilarating it was just a great great time. For whatever its flaws may have been we will always primarily remember it with a smile.

But some of the guys hit rock bottom. A few ended up as drug addicts. Fly Williams, who was effectively a pimp when he played, said he was shot, went to jail and was a long time drug addict. One guy tried to suicide.

But it was great shame the Silna brothers were advised by their lawyers not to appear in the doco because they had just started legal proceedings against the NBA for more royalties when the doco was started being produced. They saw the future on sports and TV when TV monies were so small to get an in perpetuity deal.

Love the caps they made for the 30th anniversary re-union in the mid 2000's. Spirits of St Louis logo on the front and on the back In Spirit In Perpetuity ie they will live on forever.

One ex player said the legacy should be failed greatness.

Watched heaps lately. Watched 'into the wind' last night, was pretty inspiring but depressing at the same time.

My favourite is "You Don't Know Bo" I think. What an amazing athlete, such a shame he's not a household name like MJ, Tiger Woods and co.

I lived in Canada in 1988/89 so I knew about Fox and didn't watch his doco until August. It touched me more than I thought, even though being told all about what he did when I lived there.

Between 1988-1991 Bo Jackson was as big as Michael Jordan or Tiger Woods in the USA. His Nike, Bo Knows, ads were the forerunner for Nike's ads with Jordan. Living in Canada having pay TV and Bo playing both sports, Bo was just a human highlights reel whilst I lived there. it seemed once a week he would do something amazing shown over and over again.

Unfortunately his injuries meant a generation don't know about him as he didn't dominate one sport completely like the above 2. He "just" was very special at 2. Loved his line when finally drafted, that NFL was a hobby, just like fishing, and he wouldn't do a preseason and rock up at the end of September to play or in October if the Royals made the play offs.

At the end of last year and start of this year, ESPN Sports Science did a series to find the athlete of the 20th century and early 21st. Their metrics calculated it was Bo.

Afew of videos from the program.

Heaps of ESPN sports science videos at their website plus stories from the Greatest Athlete of All Time series.

http://search.espn.go.com/sport-science/videos/6

The Bo v Jordan comparison show

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched it, brilliant.
I was shocked like everyone at the end to realise that Connors and Krickstein have not spoken since that match all those years ago, given how close they were before it.
I also didn't realise he was so disliked by so many people.

The production of these shows are done so well. I really wish we had something with like this for Australian sport.

The production of these shows are done so well. I really wish we had something with like this for Australian sport.

In Oz we will have to wait a couple of weeks to see Jimmy.

The yanks are good at this stuff. They have 100+ year history of great sports writing that only the great pommie cricket writers can match over the last century. Also with hollywood they have a great pool of both technical and creative people to call on as well as inspire the next generation of film and doco makers. You might have 200-300 docos made every year in the USA which make the silver screen. In Oz a good year might be 20.

Last night on ESPN at 8-30 I watched a soccer doco called How Much is Enough: A Global Insight. Les Murray was the narrator. They didn't show any credits at the end as they went straight to the next program, but I don't think it was Australian made as they only interviewed past players, industry insiders, TV people, sports commentators etc from UK, Europe, Africa, Latin America and USA.

It looked at history of how the game changed from purely amateur, the maximum wage, how Colombia pinched all the great Latin footballers in the 1950's because their economy was booming and there was no such thing as transfer fees then, to the famous Bosman case that went to the European court and changed how players could move within Europe and the scrapping of league rules restricting foreign players. The court said those rules breached the European Treaty clause on anti competitive practices. It also spent a lot of time talking about how TV has changed the game and the financial rewards.

Next week is about the top clubs reaping the big benefits and the high paid players vs the cost to local leagues. Its called How Much is Enough: UK Origins.

if you guys haven't checked it out

Americas Game is a brilliant series

basically every year the team who wins the super bowl series gets a doco made about the year that they had

don't really have to be into the NFL to like them either

My only gripe about the show is the inconsistent length. i.e The Connors one went for 50 mins whereas the Big Shot one the previous week went for neairrly an hour and a half.

That's because ESPN when they first decided to do the 30 for 30 series, they wanted to celebrate 30 years on air and 30 stories over those 30 years, so they went to well known doco makers and said you can chose your own sports subject and you can make it as long as you want. Obviously there were budget constraints. I'm pretty sure the 2 Escobars is the longest one at almost 2 hours. Some need longer than others. The Connors one is about one tournament in a 20 year career. If it was about Jimmy's 20 years on the circuit it would have been 2 hours.

http://espn.go.com/30for30/index
What is 30 for 30?
ESPN Films is proud to present its Emmy-nominated documentary series 30 for 30, and its 30-part digital short film series. 30 for 30 Shorts is a collaboration with Bill Simmons' Grantland.com and is similar to the feature-length films in that each piece represents a specific point of view of the filmmaker and is a reflection of how they blend the narrative with their own visual style.

http://espn.go.com/30for30/index

if you guys haven't checked it out

Americas Game is a brilliant series

basically every year the team who wins the super bowl series gets a doco made about the year that they had

don't really have to be into the NFL to like them either

NFL Films makes those docos don't they?

yeah they do, just meant the quality and watchability is similar to the 30 for 30s

I reckon I have seen a couple of them.

NFL Films do some brilliant stuff. Here is one about the Steeler fans who are called Steelers Nation. When the steel mills of Pittsburgh started closing down in the 1970's and 1980's people started leaving Pittsburgh and taking their love for their team with them. Steeler fans are everywhere and this doco explains how and why they are different to all other teams supporters. Greater Pittsburgh population is about 2.5mil people the same figure as 1970. The US general population has increased by almost 50 % over that 40 years. You don't have to know much about NFL to appreciate this doco.

This song is a shortened version of the doco explaining why Steeler fans are everywhere.

Watched heaps lately. Watched 'into the wind' last night, was pretty inspiring but depressing at the same time.

My favourite is "You Don't Know Bo" I think. What an amazing athlete, such a shame he's not a household name like MJ, Tiger Woods and co.
There are stars, there are superstars, and then theres Bo Jackson.

Says it all about Bo.

I reckon I have seen a couple of them.

NFL Films do some brilliant stuff. Here is one about the Steeler fans who are called Steelers Nation. When the steel mills of Pittsburgh started closing down in the 1970's and 1980's people started leaving Pittsburgh and taking their love for their team with them. Steeler fans are everywhere and this doco explains how and why they are different to all other teams supporters. Greater Pittsburgh population is about 2.5mil people the same figure as 1970. The US general population has increased by almost 50 % over that 40 years. You don't have to know much about NFL to appreciate this doco.

This song is a shortened version of the doco explaining why Steeler fans are everywhere.

that steelers nation was a great watch,thanks for that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back