Club Focus Essendon 2022 - Setterfield, Weideman, Tsatas, Hayes, A. Davey Jr, J. Davey, Munkara, Montgomerie

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Could see Geelong offering a second rounder for him to replace Selwood, with us paying the difference between Shiel and Selwood's salary.

We might be interested but not as a Selwood replacement. Is not that type of player at all.

Could use him on a wing/outside where we are currently trying to use small forwards.

Im not sure he gets a leave pass for not doing something he should be because another player isn't.

5 rebounds from 50 in 8 games is really poor.

He doesn't, but there's a difference between having never demonstrated doing it, and simply choosing not to do it when others aren't bothering.

He was busting his gut doing it in 2020 until he got injured, was asked to change roles to accommodate Parish and was busting his gut doing it R1 while no one bothered to join him, and now Parish runs around racking up possessions and not defending.

Plenty of clubs would look at his athletic profile and body of work and see a player they believe they could get more out of than he's currently delivering.

If he came on the cheap, with Essendon subsidising his salary in exchange for a better pick (and/or trading something along with Shiel to do so), a number of finals bound clubs would be interested IMO.

He's very professional in his preparation so is the kind of guy likely to still be fit and playing well in to his 30s.

He's 29 mate, and apart from last year hasn't really had many significant injury issues, so it isn't as if he's definitely going to retire straight after this contract. I wouldn't be surprised to see him play well into his 30's.

We'd pay a decent chunk of his salary, probably up to 40% of the next two years. St. Kilda, Geelong and Port are all viable as destinations.

We dont need an outside winger. We need a ruck and a kpd desperately and some inside mids.

We dont need an outside winger. We need a ruck and a kpd desperately and some inside mids.
Then Shiel is your man. He isn't a winger.

Shiel hasn’t really shown he can play outside tbh. Pure inside.

Our inside mix seems to work better without him now however, so it honestly wouldn’t surprise me if we did try and play him outside more. It’s for the best we move him on I fear.

Club keeps saying they'll be looking at free agency and possibly trades to add players to the list this year, with the president and the GM-Footy both mentioning it recently in interviews. They're not expecting to trade pick 3 (or whatever it ends up being) according to Mahoney.

I guess the main motivation is because we have a couple of father-sons that will have bids coming in (Davey twins with one being slated for end of first round and the other 40+), so we won't be too keen to keep the picks in that part of the draft that will get used up in bid-matching anyway. And we have plenty of cap space for free agency.

There's a HS article about it here, though I can't actually read it:

In terms of likely needs, the first thing is defensive mindset and being able to play a team-first game in a system. Leadership traits are also desirable.

In terms of position, the ones that keep being suggested are the mythological big inside mid that isn't too one-dimensional, and possibly a key forward.

Probably some classy flankers or smalls although the Daveys are already that and we got Menzie and D'Ambrosio in the mid-season draft, but maybe one more mature wing/flanker type so Langford and Snelling injuries don't completely kill us around the ground next time.

I'm guessing it'll be more Jake Kelly and less Tom Lynch too.

I can read it...here's the key points

1. Dons football boss Josh Mahoney has made clear Essendon will retain its first overall draft pick (currently No.3)
  2. The club is targeting midfielders and half-backs but will wait until it assesses the development of its key talls before it decides to prioritise a key forward.
  3. The more urgent priority is to secure multiple free agency acquisitions across the midfield and running defence.
  4. the club was aware it needed to strengthen its list in the 24-26 year age bracket
  5. Only North Melbourne would have more salary cap space

I can read it...here's the key points

1. Dons football boss Josh Mahoney has made clear Essendon will retain its first overall draft pick (currently No.3)
  2. The club is targeting midfielders and half-backs but will wait until it assesses the development of its key talls before it decides to prioritise a key forward.
  3. The more urgent priority is to secure multiple free agency acquisitions across the midfield and running defence.
  4. the club was aware it needed to strengthen its list in the 24-26 year age bracket
  5. Only North Melbourne would have more salary cap space
Well that leaves a list of:

Mitch Hinge (HB), Daniel Howe (IM), Angus Brayshaw (both, really), Jayden Hunt (HB), Bailey Dale (HB), Caleb Daniel (HB), Mitch Wallis

Howe is one that interests me a lot. Basically a Kmart version of George Hewett and could need a change of scenery to be successful.

Mitch Hinge (HB), Daniel Howe (IM), Angus Brayshaw (both, really), Jayden Hunt (HB), Bailey Dale (HB), Caleb Daniel (HB), Mitch Wallis

Howe is one that interests me a lot. Basically a Kmart version of George Hewett and could need a change of scenery to be successful.
Proper tagger and a bit of an under the radar cheap sniper too (I count this as a plus).

Trade our 2nd (20-23) and our future second (likely the same sort of range, maybe 22-25) to Sydney for their 1st (12-15)

That gives us 2 picks in the top 15 plus the two Davey boys who will come after that.

Brayshaw as a free agent on a heavily front loaded contract.

Upgrade Martin and Durham to the main list.

Trade our 2nd (20-23) and our future second (likely the same sort of range, maybe 22-25) to Sydney for their 1st (12-15)

That gives us 2 picks in the top 15 plus the two Davey boys who will come after that.

Brayshaw as a free agent on a heavily front loaded contract.

Upgrade Martin and Durham to the main list.

Wonder whether Sydney would be keen to assist Adrian.
Some have long memories …

Add De Goey to that list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

brayshaw and dale would be a great start, both very classy and once you retire smith heppell and a few others you have to spend the money somewhere.
Have the cash now.
Issue will be convincing players

Brayshaw would be good.
Given we have redman, mcgrath, hind, d'ambrosia and ideally laverde would be there and not playing kpd...not sure a hbf FA is a need. So I'd not chase the doggies players.

Also keen to see how we finish the year with the fwd line mostly back over the next couple of weeks.

Ideal scenario for me would be a double swoop on robertson and payne from Brisbane, brayshaw as FA and trade our f1 and current 2nd into a couple of picks ahead of a davey bid

If not our f1, i wouldnt be opposed to letting parish go whilst we can sell high.

Sheezel, munkara and george before a davey bid woukd replace a lot of the scoreboard pressure we've lost in the last two years.

Have the cash now.
Issue will be convincing players

Brayshaw would be good.
Given we have redman, mcgrath, hind, d'ambrosia and ideally laverde would be there and not playing kpd...not sure a hbf FA is a need. So I'd not chase the doggies players.

Also keen to see how we finish the year with the fwd line mostly back over the next couple of weeks.

Ideal scenario for me would be a double swoop on robertson and payne from Brisbane, brayshaw as FA and trade our f1 and current 2nd into a couple of picks ahead of a davey bid

If not our f1, i wouldnt be opposed to letting parish go whilst we can sell high.

Sheezel, munkara and george before a davey bid woukd replace a lot of the scoreboard pressure we've lost in the last two years.
Wouldn't trade our F1 under any circumstances.

Also no to Sheezel. We have Davey x2 coming via FS, Wanganeen has shown signs, just drafted Menzie. Give me Tsatas.

Wouldn't trade our F1 under any circumstances.

Also no to Sheezel. We have Davey x2 coming via FS, Wanganeen has shown signs, just drafted Menzie. Give me Tsatas.
Very addicted to the sheezel selection :p

Im not so bothered by moving the f1 on.
I think this is a blip. Combination of trial and error, injuries and draw equalling a bottom 3 finish. And would be 70-80% comfortable next year isnt anywhere near as bad.
I also like the concept of hitting 2-3 drafts hard to get the list developing together.
Whether thats F1 and our 2nd this year (likely a bid impacted pick) or we cut a player like parish, id like to get ahead of a davey bid and keep our current 1st (sheezel, tsatas, whatever we fancy really)

Could see Geelong offering a second rounder for him to replace Selwood, with us paying the difference between Shiel and Selwood's salary.
Geelong if anything have too many old blokes as coverage while they get games/gym time into young mids. It's the young mids they need.

Money and a choice of where he plays vs loyalty and a better chance of short/mid term success.
Only way we're a chance is to offer that kind of money

Remove this Banner Ad

Back