Club Focus Essendon 2022 - Setterfield, Weideman, Tsatas, Hayes, A. Davey Jr, J. Davey, Munkara, Montgomerie

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

I'd make space for for three draft picks.

1) Our first pick
2) Trading for a second first rounder
3) A spot for Munkara should he make it to 40

If two and/or three don't happen, that leaves us with some SSP options over the pre-season.

In terms of list change, I'd say...

McDonald-Tipungwuti (Retired)
Ham
Francis
Cutler
Waterman/McBride/Hird (some combo of these three)
Hurley (Retired)
Hird and McBride don’t count as they’re Cat B rookies.

I doubt we’re very unlikely to trade into the first round.

I'd make space for for three draft picks.

1) Our first pick
2) Trading for a second first rounder
3) A spot for Munkara should he make it to 40

If two and/or three don't happen, that leaves us with some SSP options over the pre-season.

In terms of list change, I'd say...

McDonald-Tipungwuti (Retired)
Ham
Francis
Cutler
Waterman/McBride/Hird (some combo of these three)
Hurley (Retired)
A Davey bid won't allow us to trade into the first round

Isn't he a free agent next year? A club would be mad to give up a top 10 pick on a player they can get for free next year.
A pre-agent can get a good deal. St. Kilda for example need someone like him immediately. Their first and Bytel for Parish is a win win

Last year I said they should trade Francis. Obviously would of got more for him last year than this year. This year I'd say Shiel. He's not what you need at the club. I would say Stringer too but I doubt he'd go anywhere. Need to get rid of players that don't apply themselves off field or on field. Anyone that shirks contests or doesn't go for every contest and hopes to get a cheapie. They bring other players down with them.

Last year I said they should trade Francis. Obviously would of got more for him last year than this year. This year I'd say Shiel. He's not what you need at the club. I would say Stringer too but I doubt he'd go anywhere. Need to get rid of players that don't apply themselves off field or on field. Anyone that shirks contests or doesn't go for every contest and hopes to get a cheapie. They bring other players down with them.
Intriguing… I’d be interested to see a full hypothetical ins/outs list of what you reckon we should be doing and who you reckon is going for every contest and never shirks it hoping for a cheapie 🤔

Intriguing… I’d be interested to see a full hypothetical ins/outs list of what you reckon we should be doing and who you reckon is going for every contest and never shirks it hoping for a cheapie 🤔
Stringer was looking for cheapies. Did it in the tigers game I think. There are games he has done better though.
Shiel has done so a few times.
Never seen Guelfi going hard in. May chase a player every now and then but that's it.
There is a few others like Ham & Cuttler but they probably just playing their role and probably be delisted anyways.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a strange way of spelling Darcy Parish.
Stringer was looking for cheapies. Did it in the tigers game I think. There are games he has done better though.
Never seen Guelfi going hard in. May chase a player every now and then but that's it.
There is a few others like Ham & Cuttler but they probably just playing their role and probably be delisted anyways.
Shiel going for cheapies? Guelfi not going hard? Yeah, not an opinion worth respecting.

Oh we know, I was asking who you think is actually doing all of those things properly and consistently. As opposed to the ones you'd delist. Finding players you want to delist is pretty easy after a game like Sunday's.

That's a strange way of spelling Darcy Parish.

Shiel going for cheapies? Guelfi not going hard? Yeah, not an opinion worth respecting.
From what I've seen it's Usually Shiel, Stringer, Guelfi that tend to cost games at times. Stringer last round was ill disciplined to the max and just not doing much. Shiel is known to shirk contests and rather be that ball receiver than scrap. Never seen Guelfi do anything other than guard space at times. There was a moment in the hlghlights of the port game of the 4th quarter where he could of put pressure on Finlayson as he was only a couple of meters away from him just walking. Besides a give off in the 3rd he was the worst player in the team.

Oh there was also the scrap with port where Guelfi left his role to join in and their opponent ran off with the ball and went coast to coast.

From what I've seen it's Usually Shiel, Stringer, Guelfi that tend to cost games at times. Stringer last round was ill disciplined to the max and just not doing much. Shiel is known to shirk contests and rather be that ball receiver than scrap. Never seen Guelfi do anything other than guard space at times. There was a moment in the hlghlights of the port game of the 4th quarter where he could of put pressure on Finlayson as he was only a couple of meters away from him just walking. Besides a give off in the 3rd he was the worst player in the team.
Then you don't watch enough Essendon.

Stringer is inconsistent unfortunately, and usually takes time to get back to form after an injury but clearly the biggest match winner on the list so you take the good with the bad.

Shiel doesn't shirk contests. Actually watch games instead of just looking at what Parker mimed. He has his flaws (kicking, defensive running) but anybody who says he shield contests either doesn't watch him or has a set against him.

Guelfi had a bad game on the weekend but seriously, one of the hardest working players on the list.

Then you don't watch enough Essendon.

Stringer is inconsistent unfortunately, and usually takes time to get back to form after an injury but clearly the biggest match winner on the list so you take the good with the bad.

Shiel doesn't shirk contests. Actually watch games instead of just looking at what Parker mimed. He has his flaws (kicking, defensive running) but anybody who says he shield contests either doesn't watch him or has a set against him.

Guelfi had a bad game on the weekend but seriously, one of the hardest working players on the list.
Stringer is more known off field to only put minimal effort into his training and was a big reason let go at the dogs. Last year he looked fit and ready so he probably put in but this season he seemed backed to not doing enough and it's usually what gets him injured.

I have not watched Essendon much after the bye but I take back Shiel's contest work. He has improved a lot there but defensive running is a big part of the game now. I would still look at trading him for the future. Didn't notice he was your best on for the port game with 10 tackles.

Guelfi I still stand by. He might be hard working but the games I've seen him in... he mostly goes missing.

Stringer is more known off field to only put minimal effort into his training and was a big reason let go at the dogs. Last year he looked fit and ready so he probably put in but this season he seemed backed to not doing enough and it's usually what gets him injured.

I have not watched Essendon much after the bye but I take back Shiel's contest work. He has improved a lot there but defensive running is a big part of the game now. I would still look at trading him for the future. Didn't notice he was your best on for the port game with 10 tackles.

Guelfi I still stand by. He might be hard working but the games I've seen him in... he mostly goes missing.
He was let go at the Dogs because he was cheating on his wife with a teenager and because he got a number of senior players noses out of joint.

He's been consistently a top 10 clearance player in the AFL. His defensive work is a weakness but he's a leader and we're already losing a lot of experience this year (especially if Heppell goes to GC). Would rather trade Parish as he'll net us more and is worse defensively

Guelfi is a strange call honestly. In a perfect world he's in that 20-30 range on the list but he's had a good year.

Guelfi is a limited player, but to say he doesn't go in hard is one of the dumbest things I have ever read on this forum.
Criticising his effort, ever, is bonkers. I’ve been a harsh critic of Guelfi, but never due to that. And his last ~10 rounds have been fantastic as he’s added pretty consistent goal kicking to his game and better use up forward.

Fill in the gaps game

Ridley - ??? - Kelly
McGrath - Zerk-Thatcher - Redman
Langford - Shiel - ???
Martin - ??? - Hobbs
??? - Wright - Jones
Draper - Merrett - Caldwell
Parish* - Laverde - Perkins - Stringer

Kids who could do with the year at VFL level - D'Ambrosio, Baldwin, Cox, Reid, Bryan, Menzie, Wanganeen & both Davey's once recruited.

*Not opposed to trading Parish high but conscious he's a good player and we'll have a new coach/plan next year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back