Club Focus Essendon 2022 - Setterfield, Weideman, Tsatas, Hayes, A. Davey Jr, J. Davey, Munkara, Montgomerie

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Parish i reckon would be on your radar.
Free agent next year too.
Slightly different story there in that we'd be recruiting a 24yo A grade mid rather than a 2-3 year stop gap. I could see us making enquiries but he would have to be interested and I'm not sure he would be.

Slightly different story there in that we'd be recruiting a 24yo A grade mid rather than a 2-3 year stop gap. I could see us making enquiries but he would have to be interested and I'm not sure he would be.
Depends, do you expect your midfielders to run defensively? If so, unlikely.

Apart from McGrath, there aren't really any priority signings with the rest of the OOC list (although expect Massimo to get a couple of years as well). Phillips will get another extension if he doesn't retire, expect the young talls to all get extended (Brand, Eyre, McBride, Baldwin) another year, maybe 2 for Baldwin, same with Guelfi, Voss, Wanganeen, Hird.

James Stewart is an interesting one for me. Has shown he can play to a good standard at either end and I'd be happy to give him another year extension but he's reasonably injury prone over the last few years. Can see teams like Collingwood (not that he'd go there after the way they treated him in his draft year), Fremantle, Richmond (if Riewoldt retires), St. Kilda or the Dogs having some use for him as a fringe 22 player or depth.

Apart from McGrath, there aren't really any priority signings with the rest of the OOC list (although expect Massimo to get a couple of years as well). Phillips will get another extension if he doesn't retire, expect the young talls to all get extended (Brand, Eyre, McBride, Baldwin) another year, maybe 2 for Baldwin, same with Guelfi, Voss, Wanganeen, Hird.

James Stewart is an interesting one for me. Has shown he can play to a good standard at either end and I'd be happy to give him another year extension but he's reasonably injury prone over the last few years. Can see teams like Collingwood (not that he'd go there after the way they treated him in his draft year), Fremantle, Richmond (if Riewoldt retires), St. Kilda or the Dogs having some use for him as a fringe 22 player or depth.
Mass got an 18m contract didn't he? Def. see an extension soon but may not be priority for us or him this season....unless im wrong and he's on one for this year only. At which point sign him now!

Hird's an interesting one. if list sizes don't increase, the spots are at a premium. Given he's not close to a debut it would seem, do we persist?

Mass got an 18m contract didn't he? Def. see an extension soon but may not be priority for us or him this season....unless im wrong and he's on one for this year only. At which point sign him now!

Hird's an interesting one. if list sizes don't increase, the spots are at a premium. Given he's not close to a debut it would seem, do we persist?
Nah he was a 6 month one.

Hird can have another year as a Cat B rookie is my understanding.

That is only really an issue if too many of your mids do it. We don't have any in our first choice team who don't (Danger is debatable but he is nearly done).

Regardless I don't think we could satisfy Essendon trade wise.
Two firsts would get it done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So who gets delisted?

Ham, Cutler and Francis are gone for sure and Tippa and Hurley likely retire. We have top draft picks and the Davey boys to fill into the main list along with Durham and Martin.

So who gets delisted?

Ham, Cutler and Francis are gone for sure and Tippa and Hurley likely retire. We have top draft picks and the Davey boys to fill into the main list along with Durham and Martin.
Not sure if Phillips stays on or not, I'd be hoping he'd become 3rd in line next year if he re-signs. Still not sure about McDonagh's contract (1 year or 2, the AFL rules say it'd be 1 but Footywire has 2), not sure if McBride and Hird get their 4th year on the Cat B list (COVID rules say they should) and Waterman is a 50/50 prospect for me right now. Also not sure about Heppell but recent noise indicates that he probably gets 1 more year.

Nah he was a 6 month one.

Hird can have another year as a Cat B rookie is my understanding.
On the first part, it was reported in an article he nominated for an eighteen month contract.

On the second, does that mean the AFL has confirmed the COVID exemption for rookies still applies? Great news if so as we wouldn’t have to make a call on McBride, and only on Hird if there is a better Cat B option out there.

On the first part, it was reported in an article he nominated for an eighteen month contract.

On the second, does that mean the AFL has confirmed the COVID exemption for rookies still applies? Great news if so as we wouldn’t have to make a call on McBride, and only on Hird if there is a better Cat B option out there.
My understanding is that he was one of the ones with a 6 month contract

And no, but they haven't said that it doesn't apply either

So who gets delisted?

We may not need too many slots. One high pick, 2xDaveys, Mass and Menzies. In what is being rated a shallow draft we may not want late picks. I could see us only taking 7 players, and that assumes a FA/cheapie trade.

If it was 7 I’d expect: your 5 + Waterman and McDonagh (even if contracted). That Waterman hasn’t got AFL time despite needing forward power for a large chunk of the year is damning. Despite his quite strong goal average.

But I could easily see us only taking 5.

There was an article that listed everyone picked who was on an eighteen month contract. Mass was on one. Menzies wasn’t.

More than 200 players have nominated for next Wednesday's NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft, with clubs informed that a small group of players have lodged terms that will see them automatically signed until the end of 2023 if they are selected.

They are Jai Culley, Kallan Dawson, Hugo Hall-Kahan, Max Ramsden, Jacob Bauer, James Blanck and former Gold Coast midfielder Jacob Dawson.

We may not need too many slots. One high pick, 2xDaveys, Mass and Menzies. In what is being rated a shallow draft we may not want late picks. I could see us only taking 7 players, and that assumes a FA/cheapie trade.

If it was 7 I’d expect: your 5 + Waterman and McDonagh (even if contracted). That Waterman hasn’t got AFL time despite needing forward power for a large chunk of the year is damning. Despite his quite strong goal average.

But I could easily see us only taking 5.

I'd make space for for three draft picks.

1) Our first pick
2) Trading for a second first rounder
3) A spot for Munkara should he make it to 40

If two and/or three don't happen, that leaves us with some SSP options over the pre-season.

In terms of list change, I'd say...

McDonald-Tipungwuti (Retired)
Ham
Francis
Cutler
Waterman/McBride/Hird (some combo of these three)
Hurley (Retired)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back