Traded Will Setterfield [traded to Essendon with pick 68 for Essendon's F4]

Remove this Banner Ad

All of my Carlton mates disagree. Dow has been given ample opportunity and is just a dumb footballer with average skills is what they say. He has some speed but doesn’t know what to do with the footy and struggles to find it or have any major impact. They all preferred Setterfield over Dow and said played in the right role he will be handy, just no spot for him at Carlton in the midfield which is fair enough.
Setterfield is a proven ok/solid AFL footballer.

Dow is still in the unproven might come good but could very well be a total bust category.

I’ve always been bullish on Setterfield.

I think he’s a very very good onballer with deceptively good pace, elite extractor and strong tackler.

PERSONALLY I would have him before Matt Kennedy.

The Bombers will get him for donuts and I guarantee will be a similar case to Will Brodie.

Very salty seeing him leave but understanding.

Setterfield is a loafer.

He can play, he has the tools. Well, some at least. But he wanders through seasons like he's in a daze, or a haze. Just doesn't look and play like he cares. When his career was on the line in our last 2 games he played quite well, but the whole year and last year, he just coasted along playing nothing footy.

Physically, he is the type of player EFC need. Attitudinally and performance wise, he is NOT the kind of player EFC need. Not a player i would offer a multi year deal for at all.

Setterfield is a loafer.

When his career was on the line in our last 2 games he played quite well, but the whole year and last year, he just coasted along playing nothing footy.
To be fair, those were the 2 games in the last 2 years when he was given a centre square role.
Much more suited to play there rather than the wing, where we been playing him.

Similar to Will Brodie....he did alright this year.....don't mind this and only 24 and former top 5 pick....take it cheap...

Not really similar to Brodie at all. Brodie's defensive running was his issue, whilst his inside-contested work was always AFL standard.

Now he's at Freo, his defensive running is still an issue, but the rest of the team works hard enough to offset it and they can use his inside-contested work well.

To be fair, those were the 2 games in the last 2 years when he was given a centre square role.
Much more suited to play there rather than the wing, where we been playing him.

So, a conditional footballer.
Setterfield had every chance to stake his claim in the team.
He’ll go for peanuts … but you get what you pay for …

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve always been bullish on Setterfield.

I think he’s a very very good onballer with deceptively good pace, elite extractor and strong tackler.

PERSONALLY I would have him before Matt Kennedy.

The Bombers will get him for donuts and I guarantee will be a similar case to Will Brodie.

Very salty seeing him leave but understanding.
Same - I rated him very highly, especially early on at Carlton when showed some glimpses. His last 2 seasons at Carlton have been pretty bad but I can't shake the feeling he will turn it on at some point.

Was reported that tigers are keen for Munkara

Cant take any risks just use 22 on him wants to play for Essendon it's his dream
Tigers system is probably a good place for him too.

I'd be fairly torn if there was still a prospect like George, Konstanty, Gruzewski, etc on the board, but the other part of me is to heavily invest in the talent that can hit the goals now

4-Sheezel
22-Munkara
Davey x 2
Added to Tex and Menzie.

Setterfield probably helps as a bigger body mid now.
If we add Narkle and/or Stocker as free hits - that's depth plus the draft addresses the fact Tippa has been the only decent small forward on the list since Alwyn and Jayden's dad!

Tigers system is probably a good place for him too.

I'd be fairly torn if there was still a prospect like George, Konstanty, Gruzewski, etc on the board, but the other part of me is to heavily invest in the talent that can hit the goals now

4-Sheezel
22-Munkara
Davey x 2
Added to Tex and Menzie.

Setterfield probably helps as a bigger body mid now.
If we add Narkle and/or Stocker as free hits - that's depth plus the draft addresses the fact Tippa has been the only decent small forward on the list since Alwyn and Jayden's dad!
Hope Shezel slides to us

The club clearly don't rate him, didn't even an offer him and contract and have now offloaded him for almost nothing.

He's played some decent games for the club, but he's been pretty mediocre overall across his 4 seasons.

It has to be noted that not every player goes on and produces in the way Will Brodie has after crossing to the Dockers. I think he'll be good value for the Bombers, but more likely to be a short term option than a guy who'll develop beyond a solid B-grade inside midfielder.

I’m comfortable with this trade. Offers a point of difference to our midfield and cost us pretty much nothing. If he can come in and play a role I’ll be happy

Hope Shezel slides to us
with this mega deal falling over I suspect North take Wardlaw after an Ashcroft bid, now that JHF is leaving.
WCE I feel go Tsatas...with mids more a need now.
GWS still get Cadman
So I have a feeling Sheezel will slide.

So it's a chance. And we get a year with Setterfield before the next draft to assess whether we need another inside big body or we focus on other areas.

Draper Setterfield Shiel
Merrett Parish Martin

tidy midfield group w/ Hobbs & Caldwell in support + whoever we draft + Davey being able to go through as well.

Still a chance for a freebie of Stocker and/or Narkle, or a Bytel deal.
Its a shame Harmes didn't come off.

Pretty much his worth or else he was high on the delist order anyway.

F4 next year in what is supposed to be a super draft is very handy and Will was not playing much footy for us anyway next season honestly.

Wish him well at the Bombers but beware Bomber supporters when he has ball in hand as he is very heart in mouth! Not to mention he does little when the opposition has the ball.

Is steak knives for the bombers to get pick 64 this year at the cost of approx pick 68 next year
Assume no change in Essendon position next year, we swapped Setterfield for a 6 pick downgrade in the 4th across the two years.
And we have a father son and academy kid who are potentials around there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back