Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

That real outburst of emotion/anger Fages was trying to hide last night in the box is a real concern. The first time we've seen the strain of everything that is going on around him....

Swanny needs to talk to him to make sure he is ok, because too many outbursts like that and he'll have a heart attack or burst a blood vessel in his head.

Last edited:
That real outburst of emotion/anger Fages was trying to hide last in the box is a real concern. The first time we've seen the strain of everything that is going on around him....

Swanny needs to talk to him to make sure he is ok, because too many outbursts like that and he'll have a heart attack or burst a blood vessel in his head.

To be honest I had exactly the same reaction as Fages there. It was such a bull free, Payne chopped the arms but only on the downswing after perfectly spoiling the ball, ie the chop had zero effect on the contest because the contest was already non-existent.

Well yes, we all do that at times in our games. My blood pressure must shoot sky high too but what Fages showed was over and above the norm. It was

like everything boiled over from him all at once. The pressure he's been under for eight months must be enormous, his reputation scrutinised almost daily in

all types of media and at the same time trying to coach a footy team at the top level.

It bothered me seeing him like that..

To be honest I had exactly the same reaction as Fages there. It was such a bull free, Payne chopped the arms but only on the downswing after perfectly spoiling the ball, ie the chop had zero effect on the contest because the contest was already non-existent.
I didn't have a problem with the free or the 50. They were both penalties and Payne was silly for doing that. Wasn't great seeing Fages like that, however l reckon a lot of coaches do that when a player does something really stupid, the cameras just don't always capture it.

I didn't have a problem with the free or the 50. They were both penalties and Payne was silly for doing that. Wasn't great seeing Fages like that, however l reckon a lot of coaches do that when a player does something really stupid, the cameras just don't always capture it.
Fages seems to take things very personally. Well it's actually a trait of many coaches. But I think that intensifies his reactions to questions and issues around his favoured players.

Just an observation.

Not sure what you are referring to.

The free and 50m penalty against Payne, was because he was bloody stupid.

Hi opponent had marked the ball, had turned around and had just started walking back to kick a set shot. He walked past Payne and looked like he was going to give a body brush, and Payne slapped the ball out of his hands.

The rule is generally interpreted that if you spoil the ball, any subsequent contact is irrelevant

Hi opponent had marked the ball, had turned around and had just started walking back to kick a set shot. He walked past Payne and looked like he was going to give a body brush, and Payne slapped the ball out of his hands.
Payne was having a rough game, just had the shits

The 50 was soft as hell (given amartey literally ran into him) but by the letter of the law was there.

The free was not. Payne had already spoiled the ball, the arm chop did not affect the marking contest in any fashion because it was no longer a marking contest. It would be like paying holding the ball against a player that already legally disposed of the ball.

Nah that was the 50, there was another goal he gave up where he spoiled the ball perfectly and then on the downswing caught the Sydney players arm, and the umpire brought it back as an arm chop.

I could have sworn Fages outburst was after that one, not after the 50

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah that was the 50, there was another goal he gave up where he spoiled the ball perfectly and then on the downswing caught the Sydney players arm, and the umpire brought it back as an arm chop.

I could have sworn Fages outburst was after that one, not after the 50
I’m pretty sure it was after the 50, as I remember them showing the replay on the big screen, Payne throwing his mouth guard, then they showed Fage’s on the big screen burying his head and swearing.

The group I was sitting with all discussed it at the time.

the other one where Payne got hit for arm chop was a bit more soft imo. It was a lovely spoil with some additional arm to arm touch-ment ;)

oh well, Payne is not yet the full package, but the signs for his future are so bright

the other one where Payne got hit for arm chop was a bit more soft imo. It was a lovely spoil with some additional arm to arm touch-ment ;)

oh well, Payne is not yet the full package, but the signs for his future are so bright

This was the one I was talking about, absolutely not a free

As above. That’s why I keep quoting tackle stats. Daniel Rich - only two tackles for the season to date.
My comment you've quoted had nothing to do with tackling. More to the point, it seems that when we are playing at our best, we aren't actually tackling that much at all. And in the current climate of dangerous tackles and blokes being suspended, this phenomenon is something I strongly encourage.

My comment you've quoted had nothing to do with tackling. More to the point, it seems that when we are playing at our best, we aren't actually tackling that much at all. And in the current climate of dangerous tackles and blokes being suspended, this phenomenon is something I strongly encourage.
We are ranked last in the AFL for tackles. Maybe the AFL should replace the tackle with tiggy - “tag you’re it!”

good to see the kids given another go its up to them whether or not they waste their opportunities now hopefully they do :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back