List Mgmt. Father/Son re-visited

Remove this Banner Ad

Here is the rule..

Father-Son Rule:
This rule was introduced to ensure that family traditions were upheld when it comes to footy, as sons of fathers that played for any given club could be selected by that club regardless of zoning rules. In order to be eligible for the Father-Son Rule, the father had to have played at least 100 games for the club. All other teams are allowed to bid on the son. The team that wishes to draft the son then has to match the highest bid with their next available draft selection.

And here's an example..

The FS nominating is all decided before the draft.

Clubs nominate the pick they want to use and Collingwood has to use their next pick higher than the lowest pick bid by the other clubs, or decide to pass and the club with the lowest pick bid has to take him.
Eg. if Carlton say they will use pick #6 on Moore it will force Collingwood to use pick #8.
If the best bid for Moore is Adelaide's pick #27 we would have to use our next pick which would be our 3rd rounder, pick #44, I think.

So unless one of the teams below us, (Saints, Demons, Giants, Lions, Dogs, Bluesers & Suns) nominate him we can use our second round pick, 'cos if anyone above us on the ladder nominates him, we use our next draft pick, (2nd).

If no-one else nominates him, (highly unlikely) we can use our last pick.

Last edited:
It really is a simple rule, yet there will still be posters that do not understand how the system works.
They won't understand because it's needlessly complicated.

The AFL should nominate what a father/son is worth, not other clubs with ulterior motives (Hi Mick).

Let's use the Darcy Moore case as an example;

The AFL would come out and say Darcy is worth a top 10 pick, if we refuse to match that "rating" he goes into the draft pool, simple really.

The AFL should nominate what a father/son is worth, not other clubs with ulterior motives (Hi Mick).

The AFL would come out and say Darcy is worth a top 10 pick, if we refuse to match that "rating" he goes into the draft pool, simple really.

The same rule should be used on the Sydney Academy Players also.
Either the F/S rule or you version.

Then who at the AFL decides that?
That only would cause greater heartache and calls of corruption.

The clubs making the judgements is the fairest and transparent way.

The only change I would make is that rival clubs bids should be done privately and the club with the nominated FS should be advised and given the option.
if they choose to pass, then the club who made the bid would then be disclosed as having their bid accepted.

Here is the rule..

Father-Son Rule:
This rule was introduced to ensure that family traditions were upheld when it comes to footy, as sons of fathers that played for any given club could be selected by that club regardless of zoning rules. In order to be eligible for the Father-Son Rule, the father had to have played at least 100 games for the club. All other teams are allowed to bid on the son. The team that wishes to draft the son then has to match the highest bid with their next available draft selection.

And here's an example..

So unless one of the teams below us, (Saints, Demons, Giants, Lions, Dogs, Bluesers & Suns) nominate him we can use our second round pick, 'cos if anyone above us on the ladder nominates him, we use our next draft pick, (2nd).

If no-one else nominates him, (highly unlikely) we can use our last pick.
ok so then. lets say that Carlton is the only team to bid at pick #6, we then as it stands need to commit to pick 8, but lets then say that during the draft period and hypothetical of course. we trade pick #8, Harry L to GWS for their Pick #3. that would then mean that unless St.kilda or Melbourne pick moore we can then use pick #3 on someone else and use our 2nd round pick on moore ?

Hypothetical question: we have pick 11and two highly-rated FS prospects in the draft. Each of them is bid on before our pick 11.

What happens? Can we only pick one of them?

We would be able to take one with pick 11 and the other with our second round pick.

Its happened before although not in the "bidding era"

Back in the day where father son was automatically a second orunder (from memory) , we took Brayden Shaw with the second round and then took Heater in the third round

Hypothetical question: we have pick 11and two highly-rated FS prospects in the draft. Each of them is bid on before our pick 11.

Think we have to use our our first 2 picks on them as a result......

ok so then. lets say that Carlton is the only team to bid at pick #6, we then as it stands need to commit to pick 8, but lets then say that during the draft period and hypothetical of course. we trade pick #8, Harry L to GWS for their Pick #3. that would then mean that unless St.kilda or Melbourne pick moore we can then use pick #3 on someone else and use our 2nd round pick on moore ?

Father-son is before the draft. Once we commit to using it we cant trade it.

I dont know why so many people are making a simple rule complicated. If ANY team bids their first round pick on Moore, we have to match it or lose him to the team who has bid for him. Simple as that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You forgot about this bit..
The FS trading is all decided before the draft.
I've changed the OP to read nominating instead of trading.

Last edited:
I'd put money on Carlton nominating him.

No team would be stupid enough to give up a top ten pick for a player they dont want. If Carlton nominate him it will because they rate him, not to piss Collingwood off.

If anybody nominates him ahead of us, I'd prefer it to be a team below us in the ladder, ie with a pick ahead of us. That will effectively move us up the draft by one, ie we wil be "live" pick 7.

Last edited:
We would be able to take one with pick 11 and the other with our second round pick.

Its happened before although not in the "bidding era"

Back in the day where father son was automatically a second orunder (from memory) , we took Brayden Shaw with the second round and then took Heater in the third round

It's happened before, but not for us. In 2010, Port bid pick 16 for Wallis, Sydney pick 21 for Liberatore, the bulldogs first pick was at 22. Wallis went f/s at 22, Liberatore f/s at their next pick being 41.

Call me stupid but there are some things I still don't understand.

My main area of confusion is as follows

How is F/S done before the draft. For example Carlton has pick 7. They think they will use it on Moore but on draft day X player who they didn't expect to still be available at pick 7 is still available so they decide to go with player X. My point is how can a club know before draft day who is going to be available and therefore state that they will take a certain player with a certain pick.

Continuing with the above example. Prior to the Draft does Carlton say we will take him with our first pick and they are then locked into that regardless of how things pan out during the draft. (Assuming we decline to take Moore with our first pick)

If this is the case then I think we have a good chance of getting him as a second rounder as there is a bit of risk involved with the above scenario

Ulterior motives don't come into it.

A club won't bid on Moore unless they are prepared to take him with that pick. Otherwise they shoot themselves in the foot.

We would have to use our next live pick for the 2nd player so basically our first and 2nd rounders to get both.

If you have 3 then it follows the same lines.

How is F/S done before the draft. For example Carlton has pick 7. They think they will use it on Moore but on draft day X player who they didn't expect to still be available at pick 7 is still available so they decide to go with player X. My point is how can a club know before draft day who is going to be available and therefore state that they will take a certain player with a certain pick.

Continuing with the above example. Prior to the Draft does Carlton say we will take him with our first pick and they are then locked into that regardless of how things pan out during the draft. (Assuming we decline to take Moore with our first pick)

If this is the case then I think we have a good chance of getting him as a second rounder as there is a bit of risk involved with the above scenario

This is the risk you take and it's why we didn't select James Stewart cos we wanted the extra picks which got us Grundy, Broomy and Kenno.

Big risk for other teams I reckon, you'd want to be absolutely sure he's in the top 7 to bid before us.

Yes, the F/S nominating & bidding process will limit the clubs flexibility on draft day as it's all locked in/final answer stuff prior to trading & draft.
Clubs nominates.....other clubs bid.......nominating club then decides to match (with next pick) or pass.
So by Monday October 6 (about lunchtime), we will know 100% who is getting Moore & which pick it will be.
If Carlton bid their pick 6 then we (on the spot/same meeting) either match by using pick 8 or we decide to pass & then Carlton are 100% locked in with Moore with their pick 6.
If Moore was a definite top 3 or top 5 draft choice, then we would have to use our 1st round, however if Moore is pick 5-10 choice, then he may slip to our 2nd round.
It entirely depends upon where the clubs below us rank him.
If Bulldogs think he is in the top 3, then they may bid their pick 5, however if they think he is in the top 5-10 then they probably would not bid (keep their powder dry for draft day & hope one of their top 3 or 4 slides to them).

This is the risk you take and it's why we didn't select James Stewart cos we wanted the extra picks which got us Grundy, Broomy and Kenno.

Big risk for other teams I reckon, you'd want to be absolutely sure he's in the top 7 to bid before us.

You could of nominated him seen where the cards fell and if they deemed it to be too high simply passed.

Chances are we would have got him for cheaper than what he went main draft. As it's riskier for other clubs to lock their picks in as they MUST follow through if we decline to match it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back