Favourite childhood games

Remove this Banner Ad

Anything after the C-64 doesn't count for me.

Atari 2600

Pitfall
River Raid
Asteroids
Pacman
Pele's Soccer
Pole Position

C-64
Beach Head 1 & 2
Boulder Dash 1, 2 and 3
Summer Games 1 & 2
Impossible Mission
Uridium
Ghosts & Goblins
Gauntlet
Hacker
O'Riley's Mine
Who Dares Wins 1 & 2

Best memories come from Goldeneye and Street Fighter 2. The later I missed over 100 classes in year 11 because of and still passed.

Going back even further the best memories I have is from my Colecovision.

Cosmic Avenger anyone.
cosmic_avenger.gif

OMG. YES. YES!

I have been trying to remember that game for aaaaaaaaaaaages. Super Nintendo was one of the best, and IMO, gave rise to the prime of gaming - this being the PS1/N64 days.

I had both the PS1 AND N64 when I was a kid (the best time to be a kid!), but my mates had most of the games. So we'd spend all night playing all sorts of awesome games. God I miss being a kid, and most importantly the mid-90's to early 2000's...

Also...

Conkersbfdbox.jpg

I think I spent more hours playing the multiplayer of this game as a kid than I did sleeping! It was that awesome.

I also remember ratings being a big deal back then, so like Duke Nukem, I played Conker's at mate's places since some of them had awesome parents that didn't care about us being "under 17" :D:cool:

there is a website dedicated to nerds finishing some old school games as quickly as possible

http://speeddemosarchive.com/gamelist/FullList.html

loads of quality classic games there and the half life 2 video is awesome

Love that site. I remember when I was trying to beat Paper Mario 64 as quickly as possible. Got just under 5 hours and saw the time on this site and was absolutely crushed.

:(:D

This is going to be a fair list. The Nintendo 64 (and later the PS1) were basically my life when I was a kid...

- Super Mario 64...but Bowser scared the sh*t out of me when I was a kid so I never got the 120 stars until recently.
- Banjo-Kazooie...see Super Mario with Gruntilda.
- Mario Kart 64. People say Goldeneye but this was the best multiplayer game of all time but this trumped it by miles. Especially when everyone was on roughly the same level.
- Mario Party
- Pokemon Blue, Red and Yellow (and later but not so much Gold and Silver)
- The Sims (plus the expansion packs)
- WWF No Mercy
- Crash Bandicoot
- Pokemon Snap. This sh*t was amazing. :D
- 1080 Snowboarding. More a competition of who would survive than who would get to the finish line first. :D
- Super Smash Bros.
- Rampage World Tour. Yes. play this in multiplayer and this was the best fun.

That game was the reason why I got a N64 :D

pokemon-snap-wii-vc-1.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't believe I forgot this classic in my earlier posts:

1195-1.jpg

Can't believe I forgot this classic in my earlier posts:

1195-1.jpg
You most definitely would want to watch the most recent ep of Community.:thumbsu::D

[YOUTUBE]hBRr-PCqdWk[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]wY2GUCD7yKQ[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]vYMvbFb-R2M[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]7Uq92eCdNQM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]CqOlpQ7sepE[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]SyvsbvM_w-U[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]GEbnqc82lew[/YOUTUBE]

Sonic was before my time but i used to jump onto my brothers sega and play it without him knowing.

Under a Killing Moon
Wacky Wheels
Duck Tales

I downloaded Under a Killing Moon + another Tex Murphy game from good old games (paid for and all) a few months ago, great memories :thumbsu:.

Had Wacky Wheels during my high school years, had the expansion pack that added new races and the death match maps good times :D.

I never finished Duck Tales :(, could not pass the Transylvania stage.

A few other game mentions since my last post - i saw people referring to Mega Man - Mega Man 3.... just thought i'd chime in that my favorite was Mega Man 2. Had my favorite roster of end stage bosses. I find the later Mega Man games (eg: Mega Man 9 and 10 on the XBLA) impossible to finish.

C&C: Red Alert was a favorite, but not the pc version. I used to play this via system link up on playstation against a mate during school holidays. Was pretty cool, could never really embrace the pc version the same way (years after initially playing it on psx), an expert at using the controller. Funny thing is on the pc i prefer Red Alert 2 (despite the alternate super powers.... just give me the NUKE and only NUKE dang it)..... i played C&C Generals for the first time a few years ago. That was like a dream come true - seeing an awesome nuke animation (evil snicker).

First games i brought for systems

NES - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Master System 2 - Built in Alex Kidd
Mega Drive - Sonic
SNES - Mario All Stars
PS1 - Fifa 96
PS2 - Cricket 2003
X Box 360 - NBA Live 2006

C64: I don't quite remember the order but i purchased the game based on the MOTU movie, Ghostbusters 2 (waste of $25), Knight Rider, Batman: The Movie and Metro Cross (this was when i first discovered that the MOTU toyline was no more.... so i opted to buy a C64 game instead).

NES: SMB/Duck Hunt came with the console, first game purchased was California Games (from memory). Nintendo Baseball also rings a bell.

Mega Drive: Funny story, my first MD console was a pre owned unit (back in the days of Video Games Heaven). Whomever packed the console, paired it with a Master System power pack. It was a low key christmas that year :(, and in those days i had to wait until the day after boxing day to get it working. The console came with Mortal Kombat, first game purchased was either Mortal Kombat II or NBA JAM.

PS1: Console came with Need for Speed, i purchased Tekken and Die Hard Arcade at the same time during the week after i initially got it (christmas time).

PS2: Even though i had the console early on, i didn't actually have any games with it for quite some time. I basically played psx games on it (got Tekken 3, GT 2 and Smackdown 2: KYR as presents at the same time) and used it as a dvd player. My first official ps2 game purchase was WWF Smackdown: Just Bring It. Didn't really play it that much, as long sessions gave me motion sickness (odd considering the previous Smackdown games nor the future sequels, never had that effect on me).

PS3: Console came with MGS 4 (reason why i purchased the unit), however i knew i was going to get it eventually. I purchased a few games that were cheaper than when they first came out (eg: F1 CE, Resistance FOM, GT 5: Prolog) months prior to buying the console. I initially wanted the GTA IV bundle, but could never find it in stock.

360: Top Spin 2, one of my favorite gaming bargains, even though i have found even better gaming bargains in the years since.... Top Spin 2 is a personal favorite - the christmas/new year sales of 2006.... were the best for overall savings in my opinion. Future christmas/new year sales with video games havn't had the same impact. Of course i've purchased other gaming bargains in the years since (games that were $89 - $119, for $30 or under), but Top Spin 2 was my first game purchase and one of my best savings.

For the most part, C64/Amiga aside, i tended to adapt to a new system just as it's lifespan was coming to an end. For example, i didn't have my own NES until the early 90's, Mega Drive II was in christmas '94 etc.

Sony Playstation - christmas '97 etc.

I adapted to the playstation 2 pretty quickly (was an adult at the time so it's not really childhood related), was a christmas present from my parents a month after it came out. However i waited a year and a bit after the ps3 initially came out, before i finally purchased one.

Likewise the 360, 9 months after it came out was when i first had one (not my own purchase though, technically a gift). A year later i purchased my own console (had to as the first one was taken away via an insurance claim), figured it would take them 6+ months to get me a new one.... which is what happened. I actually purchased the new console a day after it was removed - got the insurance replacement console 6 and a bit months later.

I spent a long haul of my teenage years playing a free online PC shooter called 'America's Army', was an awesome game! completely free, and made by the actual US Armed Forces as a recruitment tool.
AmericasArmy.jpg

ahhhhh, memories

I totally forgot about Age of Empires. Sick game. Especially when you and a mate knew the car cheat and had a massive car war. :D

Was it that or Azure Bonds that had that awesome primitive anti-piracy wheel?

Yeah, it did... IIRC the 1st one had a Game Guide "Lookup" reference method. At certain points you had to look up a N word on X page and type it in etc. I think it was this game but it oculd have been another.

I did play through that "Curse of the Azure Bonds" sequel too (probably my fav of the 3). Had the 3rd in the series but never went far into it.

Never had a console in my life but had stacks of games on the ol' Commodore 64, Amiga 500 and IBM Compatible growing up.

Favourites:

Another vote for Impossible Mission & Impossible Mission 2
impossible_mission_ii_02.png

"Stay awhile....stay....forevermuuuhahahahahahaha"
Loved it.

Loved all the Epyx Sports Games. Probably Summer Games II was my fave. Loved the triple jump, javelin and cycling. Winter Games was incredible. World Games was fun.

Faery Tale Adventure was awesome. Never got anywhere near finishing it as the map was ridiculously gigantic.
faery_tale_adventure_05.png

IK+
ik_plus_03.png

Just about the most fun game of all time.

ANother World was great.
Ferrari F1 was great, though hard to drive with the mouse.
F1GP remains a classic.
Grand Prix Circuit and its 500cc equivalent were awesome.
Kick off 2 is still probably my favourite soccer game.
Karateka

Ugh
ugh_06.png

Probably the second most fun game of all time.

Desert Strike
desert_strike_01.png

Speedball 2
speedball_2_05.png

Great game, though my disc broke and I never got to play it as much as I liked.

Lotus Turbo Challenge
lotus_turbo_challenge_2_03.png

On the PC, 7th Guest and 11th Hour were my two favourite games. Played them over and over and over again. Under a Killing Moon was good fun as well. Civilisation the original was pretty cool. Grand Prix 2 I played for years.

Could name 100 others...especially on the Amiga.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back