Opinion Few and far between: the rare howlers made by the club

Remove this Banner Ad

Why in the name of Bobby Davis does the club allow it's players to be available for that ludicrous International Rules crap?

Take a look at the names selected for this years (thankfully single) game, if any of these blokes emulate the misfortunes of Trav Varcoe or Steven Motlop and become unavailable for the Cats due to an injury picked up in such an irrelevant contest then we will be stuffed.

Spoiler alert : Selwood/Taylor/Johnson
:mad:
Nah, you could just as easy get run over by your own boat staying at home.Que sera sera.

well YPO, the two previous series saw two of our key players sustain injuries which severely hampered their preparations (Varcoe post-2011, Motlop prior to 2014).
and for what??
You can't wrap them in cotton wool and if the players don't want to go I'm sure they can opt out,they will have a great time and enjoy the trip while you sit there worrying about the unlikely negatives.again what will be will be.

well YPO, the two previous series saw two of our key players sustain injuries which severely hampered their preparations (Varcoe post-2011, Motlop prior to 2014).
and for what??

I can see your point - bit like State of Origin games

I can remember when Phil Carman was at Collingwood - and an absolute Super star - played in a state game - and broke his ankle - that would have been hard to take if you were connected with Collingwood

Same thing with Templeton - right at his peak with Footscray ( when Goggin was coaching them) went down to Tasmania - for a Victorian State game - did his knee - out for the season - Billy would have been rapt with that

You can't wrap them in cotton wool and if the players don't want to go I'm sure they can opt out,they will have a great time and enjoy the trip while you sit there worrying about the unlikely negatives.again what will be will be.

Actually you can. Football teams in Europe have mindboggling conditions the player must agree to - basically everything remotely physical activity they have to get approval for. Quite rightly too.

Actually you can. Football teams in Europe have mindboggling conditions the player must agree to - basically everything remotely physical activity they have to get approval for. Quite rightly too.
No doubt there are restrictions in the contracts i.e. Bundy not being allowed to ride his Horses,The difference being this would be an AFL sanctioned event opposed to something like that.

Ablett Snr got away with everything, even not bothering to train! Even for those days he was pushing the boundaries. Hafey and Blight managed him exceptionally and got the best out of his talent on match day. No player kicked up a stink and left because of it. Not much else they could have done there.
Costa basically grovelled and begged Nathan Ablett to pursue a career in footy even though he didn't want to. Even after playing in a premiership he wanted to leave.
Last but not least Costa tried to offer Ablett Jnr a 3rd party cotton on deal to keep him at the club but it was knocked back. I mean ffs the Abletts left town because they were sick of being treated in a godlike way. There was NO WAY they could have been treated better.
Don't want to start a long debate on this as it was low down on my list compared to the others so I will respond once and then move on. There's no question that the club did a lot to support them in non financial terms and they got away with a lot that other players didn't. But ultimately they were underpaid compared to the performances they put on the park let alone the extra revenue they brought through the gates. There's something very unsavoury when the clubs biggest player, a player that is a large reason why this club still exists (have no doubt that the club would of folded in 99 if it wasn't for the extra members and support Ablett brought to the club) is seriously struggling financially and from all reports has gone a bit crazy (admittedly he was a bit crazy to begin with). Other sporting clubs wouldn't let the same happen to their legends of the club.

From all reports one of the reasons Jnr was disgruntled by the club was due to the way his dad had been treated (particularly after the 10,000 thing). Geelong should of had foresight to raise his pay after the 2008 season when he was clearly the best player in the land getting about half what the best player in the land should of been getting. An increase in a couple of hundred grand probably would of been enough to keep him.

No doubt there are restrictions in the contracts i.e. Bundy not being allowed to ride his Horses,The difference being this would be an AFL sanctioned event opposed to something like that.

Didnt Bairstow get kicked in his knee by one of his racehorses he was training for Hovey before a big final - might have been a Grand Final - i mean how stupid was that - but those things sort of used to happen at Geelong - no wonder the flag drought

One interesting point - is supporters rip into Ayres - but one thing that has intrigued me - is when Hovey was president - and the clubs debt ballooned to dangerous levels - where the liquidators nearly changed the locks - surely he must have seen the annual financial statements - year after year - why didnt he do anything - why does he escape criticism - where as Ayres( who didnt have a bad win /loss record) is blamed for bringing the clubs to its knees - Ayres had no control over the financials - yet the president and the board at the time - cop no criticism at at - Laughable

Should've been treated better :eek:
FFS if Sr was playing these days and did half what he did he would've been sacked very early in his career.
And how was whiny boy Jr treated badly ?
Oh wait,big bad Bomber played him up forward at times and sooky didn't like that
After all those negative suggestions I still don't get a DQ??? Come on surely I deserve it.

Didnt Bairstow get kicked in his knee by one of his racehorses he was training for Hovey before a big final - might have been a Grand Final - i mean how stupid was that - but those things sort of used to happen at Geelong - no wonder the flag drought

One interesting point - is supporters rip into Ayres - but one thing that has intrigued me - is when Hovey was president - and the clubs debt ballooned to dangerous levels - where the liquidators nearly changed the locks - surely he must have seen the annual financial statements - year after year - why didnt he do anything - why does he escape criticism - where as Ayres( who didnt have a bad win /loss record) is blamed for bringing the clubs to its knees - Ayres had no control over the financials - yet the president and the board at the time - cop no criticism at at - Laughable
Very good point. He really shouldn't get any respect from the club these days. Is basically our John Elliot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Allowing the cricket club to sand the ground in the week before the 1994 Grand Final and then choosing to train on it. That has to be one of the dumbest stuff ups of all time.

Playing Bairstow on Matera full stop let alone an injured Bairstow in the 92 GF.

I can top that from the 2nd Semi Final - playing Sean Simpson (our slowest player) on Matera (their fastest). He actually wasn't in top form, until then.

Well done Malcolm.

Don't want to start a long debate on this as it was low down on my list compared to the others so I will respond once and then move on. There's no question that the club did a lot to support them in non financial terms and they got away with a lot that other players didn't. But ultimately they were underpaid compared to the performances they put on the park let alone the extra revenue they brought through the gates. There's something very unsavoury when the clubs biggest player, a player that is a large reason why this club still exists (have no doubt that the club would of folded in 99 if it wasn't for the extra members and support Ablett brought to the club) is seriously struggling financially and from all reports has gone a bit crazy (admittedly he was a bit crazy to begin with). Other sporting clubs wouldn't let the same happen to their legends of the club.

From all reports one of the reasons Jnr was disgruntled by the club was due to the way his dad had been treated (particularly after the 10,000 thing). Geelong should of had foresight to raise his pay after the 2008 season when he was clearly the best player in the land getting about half what the best player in the land should of been getting. An increase in a couple of hundred grand probably would of been enough to keep him.
Don't make me laugh mate the AFL/Gold Coast offered him 10 million on then unlimited salary cap. Nothing would have made a difference.
Don't think I've ever heard of a club take care of a champion player or any player after retirement. Ablett Snr could and still could walk into any coaching or media job. One of Chelsea's greatest ever players, Alan Hudson was found homeless near Stamford Bridge where he once played football which is of course now one of Europe's richest clubs owned by a billionaire. So I think clubs should help players more after footy in some way.

yeah but who cares if the AFL is sanctioning it YPO? other clubs would fabricate/concoct an injury, and I for one would be more than happy for that to happen in this case ... fair enough you disagree, but it pisses me off when the Cats lose good players for no reason.

I'll nominate Max Rooke playing against Carlton in early 2010.

Was nowhere near fit, didn't look fit, could only manage 8 disposals and never played again.
He should have retired after his amazing last gasp GF performance in 09. That last game was poor indeed.

yeah but who cares if the AFL is sanctioning it YPO? other clubs would fabricate/concoct an injury, and I for one would be more than happy for that to happen in this case ... fair enough you disagree, but it pisses me off when the Cats lose good players for no reason.
You mean like the Million Dollar Man from Sydney, who's "unavailable"? It's probably written into his contract, that he can't play anything outside of his performances for the SFC.

Last edited:
While it is the players' decision/responsibility, they are human, will want to play at all costs! No matter what!

Who was the player who stepped aside from a GF, because of injury?

Stokes in 2009. As good as that was, I'm sure the fact that he did the opposite the year before might have had something to do with it.

Putting the cue in the rack late in the game against Sydney in the last round in 1997, allowing the Swans to kick a few goals in junk time which ultimately cost us top spot by percentage, meaning we had to play a finals hardened North in the first week of the finals instead of a Brisbane side who limped into the finals on the back of 4 losses and a draw in the last 5 weeks of the season.

Refusing to fork up a bit of extra cash to keep Greg Williams. He was willing to stay for a lot less than Sydney were offering, had already won the league MVP, was clearly our best player (even with the likes of Stoneham and GAS in the team). Would have won probably three more premierships if not that stupid decision.

Barry Stoneham. Didn't he break a leg and got rushed back for "finals"? Great player (top 5) before good player only afterward. The memories of that made the rush to get Egan back even more bewildering.

http://theramble.com.au/2011/05/lingering-pain-part-three/

In Round 21, 1994, Geelong’s Barry Stoneham broke his fibula. A plate was inserted to hasten his recovery. A month after the break, Stoneham was training in a failed comeback to play in the finals

‘Because they tried to get me back really quickly, they put a plate in it to try to make a speedy recovery,’ Stoneham said.
The decision was wrong. Training was painful. He couldn’t walk afterwards. As his team-mates won the preliminary final, Stoneham’s body was rejecting the metal plate screwed to the bone. The infection was aggressive, so the plate had to come out. When it was removed, the infection had gnawed at the bone, further delaying his recovery.

Stoneham underwent four operations, maybe five, he can’t remember. Eventually, 21 screws held his leg together. He didn’t play for eighteen months, finally coming back in 1996, always looking proppy, unable to regain the form that saw him named as an All-Australian in 1993.

Prior to his injury Stoneham was one of the few players I saw , who knowing he would have to move a pack to mark, would go for it and pull it off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back