Final Delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't see the AFC going through all that trouble just to give them a "second chance"

Although, I have heard Battersby has some attitude problems.
Walsh won't be drafting anyone with attitude problems. That is a non negotiable for him. This is even more the case for fringe rookies I would have thought. He will want them to be ultra hungry to make it. We need a highly competitive environment where all players are staking their claim otherwise what is the point. Hate to say it but that is exactly what port have done.

I doubt that Atkins, Knight and Siggins will make the grade. Happy to be proved wrong.
I would have thought with no backline back up due to Rutten retiring, Ottos second knee and Siggins no where near AFL level, we could have kept him for depth until Ottos knee is right. Luke Brown will want to have a good year as he didnt have flash one this year.
Brown had a very good year. A few shockers but otherwise beat his man most weeks.

Knight showed a lot and his running is exactly what the senior team needs. Not far off and I expect him to get afl games in 2015.
I've heard he eats up the training too. Walshy will hopefully acknowledge that a hell of a lot better than Sando

Serious he said that? We neeeeeed speeeeed

Elite kicking cuts through defences/zones a damn sight quicker than a fast runner. We need to find a few guys who can hit targets under pressure when kicking forward. Speed is good, but we need more good users by foot.

Oleg Markov with a late pick, bit of a speculative pick but very quick and athletically gifted, big X factor possibility...and he is a SA lad...father a famous Olympic pole vaulter from memory.
Dimitri is his old man I think. World Champion and one of very few people to jump over 6m. Ripper bloke too, had him speak at a work conference.

I doubt that Atkins, Knight and Siggins will make the grade. Happy to be proved wrong.
I would have thought with no backline back up due to Rutten retiring, Ottos second knee and Siggins no where near AFL level, we could have kept him for depth until Ottos knee is right. Luke Brown will want to have a good year as he didnt have flash one this year.
which games were you watching or just cant see

Battersby wouldve had to be very unlucky, he is the youngest player on our list and came 5th in the sanfl best and fairest.

Thomson should be picked up by somebody, atleast we had a few days with some defensive depth :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the 4 picks at 14,35,43,59 and no further delistings then it seems that we will not be picking up any of the "delisted free agents"

Battersby wouldve had to be very unlucky, he is the youngest player on our list and came 5th in the sanfl best and fairest.

Thomson should be picked up by somebody, atleast we had a few days with some defensive depth :)
Maybe but I can't think of too many we've delisted and regretted it. Ed Curnow maybe but even he's pretty average.

I can think of plenty we haven't delisted early enough though.

Elite kicking cuts through defences/zones a damn sight quicker than a fast runner. We need to find a few guys who can hit targets under pressure when kicking forward. Speed is good, but we need more good users by foot.

and sticky fingers on the end of those kicks!

I'd say a moderately ruthless cull after a relatively lackluster Trade-Period.

A truly ruthless cull might have seen the likes of Reilly, Podsiadly, Martin and Shaw hit the kerb.

Luke Thompson showed late in the year, that despite 4-5 years on our list, he still couldn't match it with anyone half reasonable. No point keeping him, but at least he got a few games straight to show his wares, something that perhaps should have happened sooner.

Battersby sounds a bit tough, but realistically doesn't fill any kind of need and lacks any real x-factor to separate him from the pack. He likely would have clogged our list for a couple of years whilst we kept saying to ourselves "yeah he's a decent player", without ever getting close to a game. Tough on the young lad, I suspect he'll develop into a gun SANFL player and get redrafted in a couple of years time.

You can only pay out a certain number of contracts per year!

If your Rookie List isn't working harder than your Senior List, it needs to be cleaned out. If you want a strong culture at your club each Rookie List selection needs to be told they have 12 months to prove they are worthy of a senior list position. I want to see 18 year old kids scaring the s#!t out of players on the Senior List. Every Rookie Listed player should be told they have 12 months to earn a Senior contract*, then given every opportunity to do so. Attitude problems with a Rookie? Makes me cringe.

Don't be misled by Atkins draft position. Was widely tipped as an early second rounder, but had attitude/fitness issues leading up to the draft and dropped like a stone.

Our sanctions made it an acceptable punt at about pick 80. His poor fitness base always meant he was a longer term project - this will be his third pre season so it should start to show.

All reports are that his attitude is now spot on - got the kick in the arse he needed and is committed to repaying the AFC for a chance no one else would give.

He is a very talented player, left foot, quick and with some tricks. He's exactly the profile we need.

Look out for him this year.

Edit - we were reliably informed here earlier that, within the club , there was a strong feeling he should have played this year. Sando would not take the punt
When you say stuff like that I am truly excited for the future of the Adelaide crows hope your right. Another rookie sucess story will be awesome.

Don't be misled by Atkins draft position. Was widely tipped as an early second rounder, but had attitude/fitness issues leading up to the draft and dropped like a stone.

Our sanctions made it an acceptable punt at about pick 80. His poor fitness base always meant he was a longer term project - this will be his third pre season so it should start to show.

All reports are that his attitude is now spot on - got the kick in the arse he needed and is committed to repaying the AFC for a chance no one else would give.

He is a very talented player, left foot, quick and with some tricks. He's exactly the profile we need.

Look out for him this year.

Edit - we were reliably informed here earlier that, within the club , there was a strong feeling he should have played this year. Sando would not take the punt
Wasn't he emergency one game? Travelling emergency ffs if you make a young kid miss a SANFL game then play him in the seniors. Sando did it to himself

Wasn't he emergency one game? Travelling emergency ffs if you make a young kid miss a SANFL game then play him in the seniors. Sando did it to himself
Crows always get a new draftee to be a traveling emergency when they get close to selection. Lets them get used to the routine and see how the team prepares before away games. Obviously we don't want them missing too much footy but smart idea I think. Less overwhelmed when the first game comes if they know what to expect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back