Finals Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

You can say that again, I just loved the way he kept going and going and going even though he was starting to look stuffed in the second half. We'll see Calder v Eastern next week where there are going to be a handful of 16 year olds going around that will be the foundation of Metro sides and this competition for the next two seasons. Exciting stuff.
Eastern have a very impressive group of 16 year olds coming through. Looked like Knights had a few playing today as well. I thought Melksham was the only 16 year old for Calder today.

OK, a lot has been said of Cotchin and Veszpremi's game, but seriously, Totino was also fantastic today, especially in the first quarter.

Just posted in another thread but I agree with you. Totino can normally be pretty iffy by foot but was super-clean today. I thought he edged Prez and Cotchin.

Merdith was good. But he always plays like that. Always 5th best on ground.

Stanton came good in quarter 2 (?) might have been the 3rd (running towards the social club anyway). He is normally pretty easy to shut down which was frustrating from a Power perspective. You can't let him run and bounce the ball and kick into the forward-50 with no pressure.

Anyone else see a likeness between Matthew Quinton and Rod 'Tilt' Carter?

Northern were pretty even. Sanfillipo, Stanton, Hood, Thomas all had good quarters in support of Totino, Merdith and Cotchin. Zakharis was a little quiet.

Any Northern watchers fill us in on the status of Aaron Coen, Nyaburu Kelly and Steve Kelly? I would have thought all 3 would be in the team. 2 didn't even make the squad but Jack Grimes did?

Not many stood out for Gippsland and I can't think of anyone that put in a four quarter performance. Blair started well but faded out dramatically. Hall and Heyne were OK at stages. A couple of less knowns in Michaelides and Oldmeadow were good in patches too. But even their players that won a bit of ball weren't really damaging. Kay was basically unsighted.

Michaelides at least doesn't need 30 touches, he uses the ball well enough to almost get away with being a 15 touch guy. Can't believe Gippy named Endreas their best.

Connolly deserves some credit for taking on Kreuzer and Power, I think edged Krezuer today.

Jackson Hall was wasted in a back-pocket all day. Got some touches as a sweeper but cleaned up defensively by Prez. Frustates me that the Power keep using Kay, Hall and Heyne as KP players.

Gippy's midfield grunts Granger, Vernon, Blair and Blaser didn't get the job done.

In the other game all I have to say is Thomas Rockliff. Well, I actually have a bit more to say than just that but I was remarkably impressed with him today. I've seen him play some pretty good footy before, but he was something else today.

Saw him play a better game against Dandenong. I was hoping he was under the radar. Why buy Cotchin when you can get someone almost as good for a fraction of the price? ;)

I was also very impressed with big Dawson Simpson. The kid has balls and with his extreme height and good athleticism I'm starting to believe more and more.

I was a bit alarmed when Shaun McKernan outbodied him a couple of times in the ruck, but we know Simpson needs more time. I think he needs to get a little lower at times. Some of the smaller ruckmen can get leverage on him and move him. If he only pushes from the shoulders a lot of his 'push' is over the top of his opponent (if ya follow me). He needs to get lower and use his hips more.

For Calder they've got something special with 16 year old Jake Melksham. I was impressed with his composure. I haven't seen the best players in that game but I reckon he would be close to their best. Laidler was solid and launched them into attack a fair few times.

Laidler was good, CHF probably isn't his spot but he certainly gave a lot.

McKernan was impressive too. Huge leap and loves a pack mark.

For mine Calder lack genuine depth. They have a handful of stars, and some promising 16s. But guys like Short, Saville, Jolley, McLeod, May, Buckley probably aren't quite as good as some of the other 2nd tier players at the other finalists. Tsarkadis and White are probably for next year and not quite ready for finals. And what has happened to Arrowsmith?

I have Murray as flag favourites, they can play better footy than they showed today. Calder shut down their switch of play which is their main weapon. Normally you see a lot more run from Thompson and the backline gang.

Murray's problem is the half-forward line. If Rockliff (or Deledio) and McEvoy don't fire where do the goals come from? Garland, McIntyre and Terlich struggled. Is Sam Wright injured? He looked to be the missing piece there at FF.

Eastern have a very impressive group of 16 year olds coming through. Looked like Knights had a few playing today as well. I thought Melksham was the only 16 year old for Calder today.

They don't mind playing them at Eastern do they? Gysberts looks special, but it is guys like Cunningham and Sloane who seem to have been around for ever that shock me ... they've both got another year!

Any Northern watchers fill us in on the status of Aaron Coen, Nyaburu Kelly and Steve Kelly? I would have thought all 3 would be in the team. 2 didn't even make the squad but Jack Grimes did?
Are you getting confused with Dylan Grimes? He played today and might've been the Grimes you saw on their list. If you mean the list that was printed in the Record he was probably just included because he's the Captain.

Nyaburu Kelly got injured last week against Geelong and looked pretty hurt. Not sure how he pulled up, but obviously not well enough to play. Coen and S.Kelly haven't played for a while.

Are you getting confused with Dylan Grimes? He played today and might've been the Grimes you saw on their list. If you mean the list that was printed in the Record he was probably just included because he's the Captain.

Just seems odd to include a guy on your list who ain't going to play. Eastern have done the same with Renton. Clubs have to nominate a squad prior to the finals of 32-ish?

Just seems odd to include a guy on your list who ain't going to play. Eastern have done the same with Renton. Clubs have to nominate a squad prior to the finals of 32-ish?

I think there's a chance Renton could play in the GF in Eastern make it if everything goes right, hence why he's on the list. Not sure if Grimes is 100% ruled out, but possibly isn't given he's named in the 30.

I think there's a chance Renton could play in the GF in Eastern make it if everything goes right, hence why he's on the list. Not sure if Grimes is 100% ruled out, but possibly isn't given he's named in the 30.

Rents is going to be out for 6 weeks so i dont think the GF is in the picture.

Falcons might have won if Henderson was able to kick more than 35 metres. He really should have finished with 5.

Is that Lachlan Henderson? If yes, did he just have a bad day kicking-wise or can't he kick?

Just interested bc he seems to be one name around the mark for the Demons with our pick 4.

Cheers :thumbsu:

Is that Lachlan Henderson? If yes, did he just have a bad day kicking-wise or can't he kick?

Henderson has been kicking poorly since he came back from injury at least. Quite genuinely when he is 35m out directly in front you wonder if he is range. Honestly can't remember how he was kicking in the first part of the year or at the end of last. Can't remember him being this bad. His kicking is not poor, just very weak. Over 30m he is good :thumbsu:

Pat Vezperini absolutely killed it on the weekend for the knights and kicked an absolute bag...this kid is definitly goin places

Yer his 8 goals 4 behinds was a very good effort considering he was on and off the bench all day to get him through the game. He is booked in for shoulder surgery, but is tossing up whether or not to go through with it or wait until after the finals. If he doesnt play i dont think Northern can win without him and possibly Grimes.

Cotchins game was amazing (37 touches) and Merideths ball use was fantastic.

i cant remember if S.Kelly has played since all the private school kids came back, his kicking is boarder line woefull

When will Tantsis hall be back, could be a replacement for Veszpremi in the forwardline if he was right, although he doesnt have the same impact as Veszpremi

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A couple of those guys arent true defenders anyway, but I know what you're getting at. Take out Laidler cos hes not really in the same category and McKenna who I think is more a forward. Fellas like Saker, Dulic, McDonald and Post are good honest players who do their job - they probably don't catch the eye like Hurley or Kangars do with their athleticism - and the fact none of them are going to draft camp or screening probably reflects that. But someone like Post as example has probably taken on 4 or 5 key forwards this year who are going to draft camp and only slipped up once. Not bad for someone who in my book was frustrating and struggled to find an ideal position in the first quarter of the season, which was the reason for my comment.

I agree, Post mainly lacks intensity and doesnt find the ball enough.

How does Josh Caldow compare to those mentioned

Nic Peters had 41 possessions, I certainly can't remember him getting his hands on the ball that match. Mitch Banner also had it 30 times.

Henderson has been kicking poorly since he came back from injury at least. Quite genuinely when he is 35m out directly in front you wonder if he is range. Honestly can't remember how he was kicking in the first part of the year or at the end of last. Can't remember him being this bad. His kicking is not poor, just very weak. Over 30m he is good :thumbsu:

Is Lachie a really dominating player? or is he rated so highly on potential. If he has no depth in his kicking, surely that leg is hindering his performance

I agree, Post mainly lacks intensity and doesnt find the ball enough.

How does Josh Caldow compare to those mentioned

Nic Peters had 41 possessions, I certainly can't remember him getting his hands on the ball that match. Mitch Banner also had it 30 times.
Caldow's been an improver. Has probably found a position in the second half of the year too down back and improved his kicking which was fairly ordinary at the start of the year especially near goals. I suppose if you look at a formline - Caldow played on McEvoy in Rd 17 and Caldow won the points, Post played on McEvoy in Rd 18 and was convingly beaten. The ball supply in that Murray v Western game didnt help Post out much, but it was still interesting to see the difference in the way the two guys played McEvoy.

No wonder the Jets lost - Peters 41 possies, Suban 23 possies, Hinkley 32 possies - nearly 100 possies to the Rebels three key midfielders. I hope noone was meant to be tagging them.

Thanks for that...really appreciate you guys giving people like me who can't get to the junior games some insights. It sounds like a bit of a concern for someone who may go so highly in the draft but hopefully it's only temporary if the Redlegs do end up taking him.

Yer his 8 goals 4 behinds was a very good effort considering he was on and off the bench all day to get him through the game. He is booked in for shoulder surgery, but is tossing up whether or not to go through with it or wait until after the finals. If he doesnt play i dont think Northern can win without him and possibly Grimes.

Cotchins game was amazing (37 touches) and Merideths ball use was fantastic.

i cant remember if S.Kelly has played since all the private school kids came back, his kicking is boarder line woefull

When will Tantsis hall be back, could be a replacement for Veszpremi in the forwardline if he was right, although he doesnt have the same impact as Veszpremi
S.Kelly has been injured for the last few weeks and will struggle to break back into the team now I reckon.

As for comparing Tansis-Hall to Veszpremi, no offence to Tansis but I think Patty is a long way ahead of him.

I agree with you that I don't think Northern can win it without Grimes & Veszpremi.

Vic Crow or anybody else who watched the Murray Calder Game how did Hebbard, Warnett, Deledio and Saker go for Murray? Hebbard and Warnett were named in the best what about Deledio and Saker?

Also
"I agree with you that I don't think Northern can win it without Grimes & Veszpremi." What happened to Veszpremi?

Ben Griffiths, a 15 year old playing for Eastern 18s, has played 3 games this year against Power, Chargers and Geelong last week.

Is he able to play next week, i heard that the U16s were only allowed to play 3 games, true?

Is he able to play next week, i heard that the U16s were only allowed to play 3 games, true?
Have never heard that one before.

Besides, Shiels from Eastern has played 8 games already. Melksham from Calder and Scott from Eastern have played four games already this year in their TAC Cup teams.

I think the "three games" rule applies to home and away games when it's kids under a certain age. As I recall U/16 players that can play unlimited games are the ones elligible for the 2008 draft and the ones limited to three games are elligible for the 2009 draft.

But I don't think finals count in this total anyway, so the younger U/16 players can play as much finals as they are required for.

Ben Griffiths, a 15 year old playing for Eastern 18s, has played 3 games this year against Power, Chargers and Geelong last week.

U16 players born before 30 April (eligible for 2008 Draft) could play unlimited games after Round 5. Those born after 30 April could play a maximum of 3 plus finals. So Griffiths keeps playing through the finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back