Football club finances / FFP

Remove this Banner Ad

Nobody has said they are but the links between the 2 are blatantly obvious.

Lots of businesses have links. Doesnt mean they are related parties. The definition under IAS24 (I think) is fairly clear.

I'd be interested to see what the losing bidder offered for your shirt & stadium sponsorship.

Its funny. I read a quote the other day from Ian Ayre criticising the Etihad deal. He said he didnt think naming rights for existing stadiums had any real value.

The same Ian Ayre currently seeking £5m a year for the naming rights of one stand within a stadium.

Maybe we're just ahead of the game when compared to less forward thinking clubs.

£30-40m a year for sponsorship of kit, stadium and academy I would guess is the size of Princess Park (the park not the ground) is if anything undervalued. Hope we renegotiate the deal, I think we could double it quite easily.

Lots of businesses have links. Doesnt mean they are related parties. The definition under IAS24 (I think) is fairly clear.

Its funny. I read a quote the other day from Ian Ayre criticising the Etihad deal. He said he didnt think naming rights for existing stadiums had any real value.

The same Ian Ayre currently seeking £5m a year for the naming rights of one stand within a stadium.

Maybe we're just ahead of the game when compared to less forward thinking clubs.

£30-40m a year for sponsorship of kit, stadium and academy I would guess is the size of Princess Park (the park not the ground) is if anything undervalued. Hope we renegotiate the deal, I think we could double it quite easily.

Do City own the Stadium outright or is it a peppercorn lease?

the council own the stadium

we have signed a shitload of revenue deals in the last 12 months, and will only increase. wait till the sponsors are out for the minihad. hell, the footbridge to the new development has a sponsor.

we've been absolutely brilliant in finding sources of revenue of the last few years. the increase in tv money doesnt hurt either. the big amount inflating the psg number is the 200 mil loan direct from the qatari government.

Do City own the Stadium outright or is it a peppercorn lease?

As Kizza says, the council owns it.

From memory we had to renegotiate our deal with the council to allow the naming rights deal to go ahead.

Top 20:
Club 2013/14 Revenue (£m) (2012/13 Revenue):

1 Real Madrid 459.5 (444.7)

2 Manchester United 433.2 (363.2)

3 Bayern Munich 407.7 (369.6)

4 FC Barcelona 405.2 (413.6)

5 Paris Saint-Germain 396.5 (341.8)

6 Manchester City 346.5 (271.0)

7 Chelsea 324.4 (260.0)

8 Arsenal 300.5 (243.6)

9 Liverpool 255.8 (206.2)

10 Juventus 233.6 (233.5)

11 Borussia Dortmund 218.7 (219.6)

12 Milan 208.8 (225.8)

13 Tottenham Hotspur 180.5 (147.4)

14 Schalke 04 178.9 (169.9)

15 Atletico Madrid 142.1 (102.8)

16 Napoli 137.8 (99.8)

17 Internazionale 137.1 (141.0)

18 Galatasaray 135.4 (134.6)

19 Newcastle United 129.7 (95.9)

20 Everton 120.5 (86.4)

This was published in 'The Mag' a Toon fanzine.

These are the twenty clubs with the biggest turnovers (place in the Deloitte list in brackets) but listed here by the average crowds they attracted in that 2013/14 season.

79,856 Borussia Dortmund (11th)

75,203 Manchester United (2nd)

71,988 Barcelona (4th)

71,131 Bayern Munich (3rd)

70,739 Real Madrid (1st)

61,269 Schalke (14th)

60,014 Arsenal (8th)

50,688 Newcastle United (19th)

47,166 Manchester City (6th)

45,768 Inter Milan (17th)

45,420 PSG (5th)

44,831 Liverpool (9th)

41,474 Chelsea (7th)

39,975 Atletico Madrid (15th)

39,317 AC Milan (12th)

38,045 Napoli (16th)

37,732 Everton (20th)

35,899 Spurs (13th)

35,564 Juventus (10th)

35,000 Galatasaray (18th)

So we're 19th on the revenue list but 8th for average attendances. Spend peanuts on transfers (no first team signings last season), have an owner who gets free matchday revenue by plastering his ugly Sports Direct banners across the stadium and the little PR the club gives the fans - tell us we "can't" compete with the likes of Swansea, Southampton and Stoke in the transfer market? :rolleyes:

Hopefully some interested party sees the potential the club has and sees fit to see us from Ashley. If nothing else give the fans and supporters a reason to dare to dream again, a bit of optimism and most importantly the pride and passion that's been sucked out of the club like Ashley's asset stripping regime has done.

Rant over. :D

So we're 19th on the revenue list but 8th for average attendances. Spend peanuts on transfers (no first team signings last season), have an owner who gets free matchday revenue by plastering his ugly Sports Direct banners across the stadium and the little PR the club gives the fans - tell us we "can't" compete with the likes of Swansea, Southampton and Stoke in the transfer market? :rolleyes:

Hopefully some interested party sees the potential the club has and sees fit to see us from Ashley. If nothing else give the fans and supporters a reason to dare to dream again, a bit of optimism and most importantly the pride and passion that's been sucked out of the club like Ashley's asset stripping regime has done.

Rant over. :D

I think most would agree with you.

Newcastle really should be a powerhouse club competing for most trophies.

Newcastle would be a great buy for a money bags type owner even with FFP.

Could raise some serious cash from sponsorship revenue considering the size of the club. A new owner could also spend big on the youth system and possibly upgrade St James' Park (although I believe the far stand can't be extended because of a housing development).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some talk doing the rounds that Woody and the Glazers are looking to increase the size of OT. It has been a long term plan to upgrade the south stand and lift capacity to 96,000. The train line behind the stand seems to be an issue atm.

Would fill it as well.

Deloitte Football Money League for the 2013/14 Season:
http://www2.deloitte.com/content/da...group/deloitte-football-money-league-2015.PDF

"Premier League clubs now make up 14 of the top 30 revenue generating clubs globally, a Money League record".
- Great news for us as spectators. This substantial increase in broadcasting revenue should in theory lead to a higher calibre of player coming into the league relative to the rest of Europe, hopefully generating a higher standard of football and a more even level of competition in England which I think is what we all want.

Last edited:
I think most would agree with you.

Newcastle really should be a powerhouse club competing for most trophies.

That would be the dream mate but I reckon most Toon fans realistically just would like an owner who genuinely cares for the club and has a tiny bit of ambition. All we have to look forward to is 'trying' to finish top 10 and our derbies (which we can't even win anymore).

Even having a serious crack at one of the cup comps (despite the board putting no importance on them) would be a nice change.

Hopefully the fat controller moves north and takes over Rangers selling us off in the process (though their fans are fighting hard to try and stop him - can't imagine why but it says a lot that a club that is desperate for money would vehemently refuse Ashley's potential ownership) :D

Newcastle would be a great buy for a money bags type owner even with FFP.

Could raise some serious cash from sponsorship revenue considering the size of the club. A new owner could also spend big on the youth system and possibly upgrade St James' Park (although I believe the far stand can't be extended because of a housing development).

Our previous owner reckons Newcastle is "too far north" to be attractive to foreign investors and prospective buyers would probably look to buy in London (or Manchester which at least has the pull and prestige of 2 massive clubs).

The club is run on a shoestring to ensure minimise costs and maximise revenues - which is all well and good to ensure the financial stability of the club; but when that subsequently means the no money is going back or being invested in the club and the ambition is to be a money making vessel for Sports Direct rather than progressing the club, then the joy and excitement of following the team is sucked out of the club and it becomes a ghost of itself.

There are a couple of great quotes printed in the Telegraph earlier in the week:
"Newcastle need new leadership; a new start. They need to get rid of the man whose presence has sucked the life out of a club that once oozed pride and passion.

The atmosphere inside St James Park during the team’s 2-1 home defeat to Southampton at the weekend was as flat as unpacked Ikea furniture. This should never be the case. Ashley has crushed the spirit of the clubs supporters. He has drained the club of hope and extinguished dreams.

Newcastle are a joyless, uninspiring, unambitious football club with some of the worst public relations in the country. There is a deep divide between those who run the club and those who support it from cradle to grave. They are not the only club in the country with that schism tearing at its soul, but they are probably the biggest."

Yeah, looking like expansion the stadium might not be an option - there is a lot of land that Mike Ashley put up for sale earlier in 2014 that if sold, could potentially 'land lock' the stadium in - if that were to happen, the capacity could only be increased by introducing standing areas (or possibly rebuilding some of the stands but that'd be almost impossible I would have thought). Just another case of Ashley selling off the club's future for profit. :(

Perhaps a money bags type investor could buy the club and buy out the housing development blocking the far grandstand being extended. Ground looks rather lopsided because of it in its present state. All of those expenses would be FFP free.
I thought there were Heritage issues preventing an extension on that side?

Hopefully the fat controller moves north and takes over Rangers selling us off in the process (though their fans are fighting hard to try and stop him - can't imagine why but it says a lot that a club that is desperate for money would vehemently refuse Ashley's potential ownership) :D

Ger's fans want an owner that will pump crazy amounts of cash into the club again so they can compete with Celtic again.

Ashley doesn't fit that mould.

Any idea what the rent is? Or if City plan to buy it?

From memory:

Originally the deal was that we give the council Maine Rd (which is now a housing development), they give us COMS and we pay for the conversion of it from an athletics to a football stadium (that cost us around £20-30m). We then paid them a fee for attendances in excess of the Maine Rd capacity, I don't think it was significant (£2-3m a year). Don't think we have any intention of buying it, the club looked into it after the takeover but worked out the current deal was better value for money than owning it outright.

This is from our latest annual report, not sure if that makes any sense to you.

mvkyvt.png

Ger's fans want an owner that will pump crazy amounts of cash into the club again so they can compete with Celtic again.

Ashley doesn't fit that mould.

Apparently Ashley also wants to add Sports Direct to the land title deeds for both Ibrox and their training ground too.

Saw this quote a few weeks ago:
“Derek Llambias and Barry Leach have been appointed by Mr Ashley to ensure he grabs the remaining assets of the club. Mr Ashley and his board stooges have shown a blatant disregard for the club and the fans.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back