Opinion Chris Scott's coaching - Part 1 [closed, see Part II]

Will Chris Scott see out his contract until the end of 2017?

• Yes

Votes: 79 79.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 21.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is just one of many reasons I am glad that we have Chris Scott as our coach and not Alistair Clarkson:

HAWTHORN coach Alastair Clarkson has been filmed getting physical with a Port fan who got in his face after the Power’s win in Adelaide on Anzac Day.
In the shocking footage, filmed as Clarkson makes his way back to the team hotel, a man can be seen invading the Hawks coach’s personal space while yelling at him.
He can be heard shouting “Hey Clarko, Clarko, how was the win, how was the win today brother? Go the Power!”.
A clearly agitated Clarkson reacts by lashing out with his arm before briefly grabbing the man by the throat.
The footage was filmed by a friend of the man who was attacked. It is understood they had also been goading Clarkson in the lead-up the incident shown.

It’s the latest in a series of unsavoury incidents involving Clarkson.
In 2006 he was fined $5000 for abusing umpires on a flight and in 2008 was pinged for the same amount after criticising umpire Justin Schmitt’s performance during a defeat to Geelong.
He was also fined in 2009 for a foul-mouthed tirade at Essendon’s Matthew Lloyd and has been involved in verbal clashes with journalists as well as current AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...feat-in-adelaide/story-fni5f22o-1227321539668

(not to mention abusing an elderly man acting as water boy, abusing two Port Melbourne VFL players, punching the wall in the coaches' box (something an out of control teenager might do), swearing at a junior league umpire, etc. etc.)

Give me Scotty over this bloke, anyday!

I am very low in info from this situation and while i dont condone in anyway the Dwarfs actions - if he is being bated and people are physically invading his personal space, and he is being filmed and clearly set up, then there has to be some consideration given. Again, i hate the Dwarf as much as the next guy and I am not in any way condoning his reactions - but it just sounds too much like a provoked environment looking for that exact response.

Call it my paparazzi bias...

GO Catters

I am very low in info from this situation and while i dont condone in anyway the Dwarfs actions - if he is being bated and people are physically invading his personal space, and he is being filmed and clearly set up, then there has to be some consideration given. Again, i hate the Dwarf as much as the next guy and I am not in any way condoning his reactions - but it just sounds too much like a provoked environment looking for that exact response.

GO Catters
I have no doubt he was set up in this instance, Daz- probably could have added that in my post- but can you imagine Scott reacting in that same way? I didn't watch the video but the report said he grabbed the man by the throat- that brought to mind Brian Lake's actions last season. Some people's instant reaction is to behave like that- but other people just don't. I think Chris Scott has matured from the days he was a player with white-line fever. I don't think Clarkson ever will.

GO Catters
Agree fully Daz. Some seem to think if it's ok to be a keyboard warrior then it's OK in real life. Then you get this reaction. I don't have much time for Clarko but I can see how he reacted.

it was exactly like that, apparently they followed him for a fair bit as well.

the best I could find (but will be all over the 6pm news here i am guessing):

I read the first 25 posts on the Dawks main board about this. Not one of them criticised Clarko at all.

Sorry EDIT: Post 20: Haven't seen the footage, but if what is being said is true, very disappointing. Clarko has to be better than that. As an AFLcoach and ambassador of the game you just can't go around belting members of the public, no matter the level of provocation.

I don't think that we were ever smug or patronising. In fact the opposite. Like many Geelong supporters I held my breath during those magic years 2007-11 waiting to fall, waiting for those awful dark days when we lost again and again. We didn't for a while and it was fantastic. We are back there again, back to the 70's and 80's and the 90's and four losing Grand Finals. We will survive. But we did not behave with the arrogance of Hawthorn or Essendon or the cockiness of Collingwood whilst we were there.

I have no doubt he was set up in this instance, Daz- probably could have added that in my post- but can you imagine Scott reacting in that same way?

Can I imagine it? Yeah, a bit.

He's good in a press conference, good when he has time to mull over things (so's Clarkson, for what it's worth), but he'd be right up there in terms of the most emotional coaches in the game. Why do you think he appears in so many gifs? Why were he and his brother known as 'The Kray Twins' during their playing days? Because he could/can be a bit of a nutter, when his emotions get the better of him.

Last edited:
Last photo shouldn't count, im very calm and even I want to whack Baker.
I'd argue that all bar McLeod need a good belting.... particularly that sniper in the Hawks jumper

He's good in a press conference, good when he has time to mull over things (so's Clarkson, for what it's worth), but he'd be right up there in terms of the most emotional coaches in the game. Why do you think he appears in so many gifs? Why were he and his brother known as 'The Kray Twins' during their playing days? Because he could/can be a bit of a nutter, when his emotions get the better of him.
Not now that he's a coach. Throwing his arms around in the coaches box is nothing. he hasn't punched a wall yet. And all those pictures show are a few shirts being bunched up with fists.
His responses to reporters are always very measured- he never overreacts like Mick Malthouse, going red in the face and losing his nana. He hasn't abused any reporters (that I'm aware of) as Clarkson has. I'm prepared to believe that Scott has matured or at least doesn't get white line fever when he's out and about. Clarkson is still doing the same s**t he did 20 years ago on the ground.

Here's a nice little summary of some of his better known antics:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-coach-alastair-clarkson-20150427-1mu1ug.html

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not now that he's a coach. Throwing his arms around in the coaches box is nothing. he hasn't punched a wall yet. And all those pictures show are a few shirts being bunched up with fists.
His responses to reporters are always very measured- he never overreacts like Mick Malthouse, going red in the face and losing his nana. He hasn't abused any reporters (that I'm aware of) as Clarkson has. I'm prepared to believe that Scott has matured or at least doesn't get white line fever when he's out and about. Clarkson is still doing the same s**t he did 20 years ago on the ground.

Here's a nice little summary of some of his better known antics:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-coach-alastair-clarkson-20150427-1mu1ug.html
Best coach though Teri, even though he's a knob of a guy.

I don't have a problem with Clarko's reaction at all. Put yourself in his shoes here.

If I'm outnumbered 4-2 by anonymous drunk guys yelling in my ear and getting right into my personal space, in a situation where I don't know their intention, what they were capable of and no immediate place to escape - I'd be swiftly getting on the front foot as a warning that they should back up as well. It's not like he punched him, he just got the guy out his face, which he should have every right to do.

I don't have a problem with Clarko's reaction at all. Put yourself in his shoes here.

If I'm outnumbered 4-2 by anonymous drunk guys yelling in my ear and getting right into my personal space, in a situation where I don't know their intention, what they were capable of and no immediate place to escape - I'd be swiftly getting on the front foot as a warning that they should back up as well. It's not like he punched him, he just got the guy out his face, which he should have every right to do.
I don't even mind if he popped the guy one. I didn't like the spin after in the middle of out game. It was too slick and sickening. Like an advertising campaign or a Miss Universe speech. The media forces this strange unreality which is tough to watch at times.

I am not a zealot for these people being our role models. Being held to higher standards. Clarko can get mad, he can lash out, if he does something illegal then he answers for it.

What I don't like is how much barracking Chris Scott does in the box. I feel it gives the players an excuse at times. Just for my sanity I'd rather he pretended to look at the board and move pieces around rather than look like he is on the couch with me getting irrational.

To what ?
I don't know, to not try to change their technique on a tackle that slips high. To handball to a person who is flat footed and then unfairly gets pinged. If a defender is spoiling facing the forward, as I felt North got away with, then we need to change our delivery so that doesn't happen. Rather than throw them aside and give away the free ourselves.

I think we are exasperated at the bad decisions but the smart clubs are gaming the umpiring better. I look at Hawthorn on this, they play to the edge of the rules and it allows them to be physical, intimidate, block runs, shepherd away from the ball etc without having a horrible free kick differential. Chris Scott looks like he and the club are the victims, rightly or wrongly we have to turn that around. We barely get enough pill to be then giving away another 16 turnovers.

When I watched Port they played fast and very clean football. But come finals that little bit of mongrel the Hawks have will hold up better I think. My feel is Clarkson is training for the umpiring and the rules as another weapon the club has.

Likely I am talking complete nonsense.

Why lie about it and say he was scared? Angry little men are never scared of stuff like that. I don't even think he was outnumbered.
It's just pure crap. He got shitty - lost his temper.
There's no excusing the idiots' behaviour and the video tells me that Clarkson was set up but physical aggression is no answer to verbal baiting- though it sure would've shut them up, I guess, so perhaps it DID work :)

Last edited:
I don't know, to not try to change their technique on a tackle that slips high. To handball to a person who is flat footed and then unfairly gets pinged. If a defender is spoiling facing the forward, as I felt North got away with, then we need to change our delivery so that doesn't happen. Rather than throw them aside and give away the free ourselves.

I think we are exasperated at the bad decisions but the smart clubs are gaming the umpiring better. I look at Hawthorn on this, they play to the edge of the rules and it allows them to be physical, intimidate, block runs, shepherd away from the ball etc without having a horrible free kick differential. Chris Scott looks like he and the club are the victims, rightly or wrongly we have to turn that around. We barely get enough pill to be then giving away another 16 turnovers.

When I watched Port they played fast and very clean football. But come finals that little bit of mongrel the Hawks have will hold up better I think. My feel is Clarkson is training for the umpiring and the rules as another weapon the club has.

Likely I am talking complete nonsense.
But when WE block or shepherd off the ball, we get pinged- so how do THEY get away with it?
Our games vs Hawks are full of outright punches thrown, etc- never get to the MRP or tribunal or, if they do, their boys get off but our players cop a week or two retaliating.

Don't know if we gave away a lot of frees for high tackles on the weekend but the boys would do well to learn from Blicavs. The bloke's 10 feet tall and can manage to tackle a 5 foot tall Oompa Loompa correctly, without giving away a free!

I have a big problem with it. It's not the way I teach my kids to behave in the face of being antagonised or taunted. I don't care if it's an AFL coach or a 6 year old in the playground; it's bad behaviour and should be called out as such.

As a completely separate issue, I also try to teach my kids not to antagonise and taunt (full stop). Just because someone else is a dickhead doesn't allow you to be one too.

And I'll raise you this

Whatever else the video shows or doesn't show, it does clearly evidence the fact that he was all of a few metres from the entrance to their team hotel.

Just quicken your step, raise a jog, whatever. It's not that difficult.

The 'immediate place of escape' was actually right in front of him. Fact is, Clarko (brilliant coach that he is) clearly preferred some sort of altercation to simply exiting the situation as quickly as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back