Formula One in 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Mercedes on Thursday confirmed speculation the British backmarker Manor will use the German marque's 'power unit' from 2016.
A statement said Manor, currently powered by a year-old Ferrari unit, has now entered a "multi-year supply agreement" with Mercedes.
"Under the agreement, Manor Marussia F1 Team will be supplied with current-year power units throughout the term," Mercedes added.
Manor chief John Booth admitted 2015 has been challenging in the wake of last winter's near collapse, but "Together with the potential we are seeing with our 2016 car in the wind tunnel, the Mercedes-Benz power unit will assist our return to aggressive performance development with effect from next season".
"I would like to take this opportunity to thank Scuderia Ferrari for their support for our team over the past two seasons," he added.
Booth also revealed that Manor will resurrect its earlier "technical partnership" with the similarly Mercedes-powered Williams team, comprising the supply of gearbox and suspension parts.
"We are very excited about the strength of our new powertrain package and what it means for the long-term future of our team," he said.
Engine chief Andy Cowell explained that, with the Manor deal, Mercedes will probably keep its number of customers at three, which is an indication Lotus is definitely set to tie up with Renault from next year.
Cowell said three customers, set to be Manor, Force India and Williams, "is our ideal level in terms of technical and logistical capacity".
Mercedes boss Toto Wolff explained: "In anticipation of Renault's takeover of the Lotus F1 Team, we are pleased to announce Manor Marussia as a new customer of Mercedes-Benz."

Apparently the deal with Manor includes Pascal Wehrlein as one of the drivers for the team, as well as Manor becoming the Mercedes "B" team with extensive sharing of parts from Mercedes (ala Ferrari/Haas). Manor also has a technical partnership with Williams for the 2016 Formula 1 season that will see it supply transmission and suspension components.

Manor's major weakness has been on the aero side and it will be interesting to see if the Mercedes front/rear wing designs will make their way onto the Manor car.

Last edited:
Here's one for the tech heads - Bottom view of the Mercedes diffuser. Note the small vortex generators on the trailing edge of the plank.

CQztB1kWoAAMdp9.jpg

Here's one for the tech heads - Bottom view of the Mercedes diffuser. Note the small vortex generators on the trailing edge of the plank.

CQztB1kWoAAMdp9.jpg
Interesting positioning.

To me that indicates one of 2 things:
1. That angle just behind the VGs is quite a bit sharper than it looks from this viewpoint and the VG is needed to keep the flow attached or;
2. Trying to destroy the stability of the air behind the car.

Interesting positioning.

To me that indicates one of 2 things:
1. That angle just behind the VGs is quite a bit sharper than it looks from this viewpoint and the VG is needed to keep the flow attached or;
2. Trying to destroy the stability of the air behind the car.

Pretty sure they're trying to create a fast spinning airflow that acts to accelerate the general airflow under the car. The high angle behind the vortex generator allows a circular airflow to fill the space.

Pretty sure they're trying to create a fast spinning airflow that acts to accelerate the general airflow under the car. The high angle behind the vortex generator allows a circular airflow to fill the space.
The purpose of VGs is to keep the airflow attached at high angles of attack where the airflow would otherwise separate causing the wing to stall. However, VG's come with a drag penalty which is why you only use them when they are specifically required e.g. near the leading edge in front of ailerons so they remain effective (unstalled) when the rest of the wing is stalled or for aircraft that need good short field performance or extra load carrying capability that aren't concerned with the extra drag.

That's why I'm thinking unless the angle after the board is so steep the airflow would detach (doesn't look like it) the purpose very well may be to make it difficult for the car behind to follow. Vortex's don't make for fun following (trust me, I know).

The purpose of VGs is to keep the airflow attached at high angles of attack where the airflow would otherwise separate causing the wing to stall. However, VG's come with a drag penalty which is why you only use them when they are specifically required e.g. near the leading edge in front of ailerons so they remain effective (unstalled) when the rest of the wing is stalled or for aircraft that need good short field performance or extra load carrying capability that aren't concerned with the extra drag.

That's why I'm thinking unless the angle after the board is so steep the airflow would detach (doesn't look like it) the purpose very well may be to make it difficult for the car behind to follow. Vortex's don't make for fun following (trust me, I know).
yup - following would be hard because the turbulent air is delayed and the car behind would be right in the turbulent air.

It's hard to work out exactly what these vortex generators are for because you need to put the undertray into context with the rear of the car. Could be for the diffuser and it's possible they're trying to influence to rear wing in some way (or both), but I can't be sure.

Ferrari are willing to give engines to Toro Rosso next year, but not RBR.
Ted (I think it was him) made a good point on the telecast
Ferrari shouldn't be seen as the bad guys in this. After all they are only doing what Mercedes chose to do, and not supply a direct competitor with a stronger engine.
Old Bernie may need to step in here I feel

Ted (I think it was him) made a good point on the telecast
Ferrari shouldn't be seen as the bad guys in this. After all they are only doing what Mercedes chose to do, and not supply a direct competitor with a stronger engine.
Old Bernie may need to step in here I feel
Don't see what Bernie can do. He can't force them.

RBR going back to Renault is now being floated around.

LOL Bernie comes out of meeting with RBR, Ferrari merc etc. Asked if RBR have an Engine next year, says he doesn't know but sure it will be sorted. Asked again and says that how ever it works out they will be happy. Then asked if there would be a positive outcome to which he replied "Well if they get an engine its a positive isn't it?"... hahahahaha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't see what Bernie can do. He can't force them.

RBR going back to Renault is now being floated around.
There's some things he can try, completely black banning them from TV coverage a la Force India at Bahrain or to a lesser extent Mercedes last race would be a start.

Formula 1 descends into a farce, again!

You can't blame anyone except the rule makers who decided hybrid engines were the go. Now we have two dominant manufacturers who can pull the strings of the Formula 1 machine. There is nothing in it for Ferrari or Mercedes to supply engines to Red Bull, apart from losing money and being embarrassed by a competitor.

James Allen has pointed out that Red Bull leaving F1 means that $230 million in prize money is added to the pot for everyone else.....

I'd laugh if RBR have to go crawling back to Renault.

Formula 1 descends into a farce, again!

You can't blame anyone except the rule makers who decided hybrid engines were the go. Now we have two dominant manufacturers who can pull the strings of the Formula 1 machine. There is nothing in it for Ferrari or Mercedes to supply engines to Red Bull, apart from losing money and being embarrassed by a competitor.

James Allen has pointed out that Red Bull leaving F1 means that $230 million in prize money is added to the pot for everyone else.....
No it's entirely Red Bull's fault. They're the ones who have been bitching like children all year.

No it's entirely Red Bull's fault. They're the ones who have been bitching like children all year.

I don't blame them, sure could have handled it better. They spend ridiculous amounts of money and aren't doing it as good promotional for a car manufacturer like Mercedes and Ferrari. I would either walk or take what they can get and drop to one mid pack team and spend a lot less on it.

The bad blood that developed between Red Bull and Renault should have gone at the decision makers changing up the rules which have made the sport a lot worse instead of each other.

I can understand that people think its a team being sore losers and would agree if they were just being flat out beat by the others but it's the one part out of their control that's costing them, everyone knows in other aspects the red bull is probably King.

I'm still surprised Mercedes or Ferrari didn't want to give up their best engines, sure Red Bull might beat them but at the same time if you're Mercedes you're almost guaranteed to have your engine not only win every race but probably take all podium spots and if you're Ferrari it gives more help that Mercedes won't be winning the majority of the time. I can understand the teams not wanting it but would've thought at the end of the day the manufacturers would just want to see their engines winning and RB having one is just increasing those odds. Do we really want a situation where only works teams have the best engines? That could make the sport even more boring, especially if Honda and Renault continue to fail or pull out completely.

I'm still surprised Mercedes or Ferrari didn't want to give up their best engines, sure Red Bull might beat them but at the same time if you're Mercedes you're almost guaranteed to have your engine not only win every race but probably take all podium spots and if you're Ferrari it gives more help that Mercedes won't be winning the majority of the time. I can understand the teams not wanting it but would've thought at the end of the day the manufacturers would just want to see their engines winning and RB having one is just increasing those odds. Do we really want a situation where only works teams have the best engines? That could make the sport even more boring, especially if Honda and Renault continue to fail or pull out completely.
They'd like to see their engines winning in their works team, not seeing some third party running rings around them.

Do you forget how every single race the other teams bitched and moaned about something when RB were dominant? And the regs got changed each year to try stymie them. Nothing of the sort with Merc, and I bet they sunk a crapload more cash into that engine.

Human nature to complain frankly.

Do you forget how every single race the other teams bitched and moaned about something when RB were dominant? And the regs got changed each year to try stymie them. Nothing of the sort with Merc, and I bet they sunk a crapload more cash into that engine.

Human nature to complain frankly.
They bitched about the regulations. They didn't bitch about their engine partners. Completely different. They weren't harming the reputation of an organisation they were entirely dependent on.

They bitched about the regulations. They didn't bitch about their engine partners. Completely different. They weren't harming the reputation of an organisation they were entirely dependent on.
Maybe so, but losing one of the best resourced teams and their junour team as well as the young driver development, yep that is going to really help the sport. Inc more pay drivers in what team remain to bring in cash.

Maybe so, but losing one of the best resourced teams and their junour team as well as the young driver development, yep that is going to really help the sport. Inc more pay drivers in what team remain to bring in cash.
It'll definitely hurt the sport. But RBR got themselves into this situation. They had a contract with an engine provider, they ruined it. It is entirely their fault. Dietrich came out swinging saying he'd pull out if he couldn't get a competitive engine, but then when he had a chance with Mercedes, HE ruined it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back