Opinion Fos + Big Bob vs Ken + KT + Burgo

Remove this Banner Ad

Terrific stuff boys right up my alley. My Port was the 60's Bruce Light, Damien Nyland,
Jeff Potter, Fritz Freeman, Reggie Beaufort, Ron Elleway, Geoff Motley, Dennis Errey, Bubbles Obst,
Johnny Cahill, Peter Woite, Peter Yeo, Kevin Salmon and too many others off hand.
Huge crowds, high excitement and streamers everywhere. Adelaide Oval then, is what it is now, a Mecca.
Where boys became men really quickly in the PB's giving their PB.
We lived em and we loved em, just like now.

Left out another in Trevor Obst. Ron Elleway probably unlucky not to make that side as well.

Bubbles & Lurch were greats of our club, but how do you leave out the Rock & Abley?

I have 3 treasured copies of Dynasty, autographed by Fos - I wouldn't part with them for love nor money. I think it is highly likely to have been one of the first books Ken read after arriving at Alberton. The moment I heard him say "we will never ever give up" made me think he had read Dynasty and understood and believed in the Creed from his very 1st read.

If you want a copy go to Elizabeth Oval and knock off a copy. Centrals bought them in bulk.

Centrals freakish ability to produce players who were too good for SANFL but woefully inadequate at AFL level bordered on Duke University basketball's cavalcade of white stiffs.

Meanwhile Port would lose a Bradley, Wanganeen, Buckley and McLeod every year and still dominate.

Centrals freakish ability to produce players who were too good for SANFL but woefully inadequate at AFL level bordered on Duke University basketball's cavalcade of white stiffs.

Meanwhile Port would lose a Bradley, Wanganeen, Buckley and McLeod every year and still dominate.

Trajan Langdon FTW (I know he's not completely white)

I got my copy signed by Fos, Von and Jenny at West lakes when they were selling them at the bookstore there... must get around to Mark and Stephen signing them too

Last edited:
Cherokee Parks = Mark Conway
Bobby Hurley (RIP) = Nathan Steinberner
Danny Ferry = Jay Nash

Oops. My bad. Looks like he survived thankfully

"Hurley was selected by the Sacramento Kings as the seventh pick in the 1993 NBA Draft. He signed a shoe contract with a new shoe company ITZ (In The Zone) which was sold at Foot Locker exclusively.[citation needed] While Hurley was returning home following a game in December of his rookie season he was involved in a car accident. His truck was slammed into by a house painting truck. Hurley was not wearing a seat belt, was thrown from his truck, and suffered life-threatening injuries.[5] Kings teammate Mike Peplowski was driving five minutes behind Hurley, and was first on the scene to render immediate aid. Hurley returned to the NBA for the 1994–1995 season,"

* we are family, a happy family.

That looks obvious now with our players so tight, Ken as a father figure - telling Jan Wines that if Ollie isnt happy with his sponsor family "he can come live with my family," - but we found out in the s**t of 2011 and 2012 with our young players being smashed every week, they stayed tight and believed in the club. They showed that the club being a family club is part of our DNA, which was probably there long before Fos, but Fos made it a core tenant of his approach - long before the writing of The Creed.

Terrific stuff boys right up my alley. My Port was the 60's Bruce Light, Bruce Nyland,
Jeff Potter, Fritz Freeman, Reggie Beaufoy, Ron Elleway, Geof Motley, Dennis Errey, Bubbles Obst,
Johnny Cahill, Peter Woite, Peter Yeo, Kevin Salmon and too many others off hand.
Huge crowds, high excitement and streamers everywhere. Adelaide Oval then, is what it is now, a Mecca.

FTFY ... another name is Ross Haslam, currently a PAFC board member.

It's relevant to include here something written about our Club fifty years ago - the summary titled 'PORT ADELAIDE' that appeared in the 1963 SANFL Year Book, looking back on the 1962 season and further...

Someone once told me that the story of league football in S.A. in the past 10 years was the story of Port Adelaide.
He was probably a Magpie supporter, but he could have been an impartial observer. Either way it is fair comment.
In the past decade Port has won seven premierships. The other four years (its failures) it has been runner-up once and third three times.
It won six of these in succession (1954 to 1959) and the remarkable thing is that one man, Foster Williams, is responsible for the lot. (Geof Motley coached the side in 1959 but even he would admit that he just pulled the levers which operated the machine patented by F.N. Williams.)
It lapsed in 1960 and 1961 when Alan Killigrew's hit-run method probably upset it most.
But with typical tenacity and that amazing ability to play best when the chips are down, Port settled back in the throne again last year.
How long will it be on top? Goodness knows. But it will be surprising if it is not there after this season. (We won the flag again in 1963.)
Port's monopoly has not gone uncriticised. Probably the most consistent lament is that it has made the competition one-sided and therefore uninteresting. A punter would say: "They should have a quinella on this event, we already know the winner."
A philosopher would look at it another way. Port has set a standard which the other teams must reach if they want to win.
However deep you dig, it is hard to isolate the reason for Port's long-term superiority. Its playing technique, of course, is familiar.
Tremendous teamwork, understanding, courage and confidence. Sometimes ability seems to be an afterthought. It is hard to imagine Port paying thousands of pounds to import interstate players and coaches.
There's not much glamour at Alberton. To the outsider and the long-suffering supporters of other clubs, Port Adelaide has built a world of its own.
Its club discipline is strong and there's no mistaking the community feeling at Alberton. Perhaps this is the main reason for its domination of football here.

That something so complimentary should appear in an SANFL publication is hard to believe.
Some things change a lot in 50 years, some things remain the same, and some things rise up and repeat themselves....

Last edited:
I have 3 treasured copies of Dynasty, autographed by Fos - I wouldn't part with them for love nor money. I think it is highly likely to have been one of the first books Ken read after arriving at Alberton. The moment I heard him say "we will never ever give up" made me think he had read Dynasty and understood and believed in the Creed from his very 1st read.
He is the perfect fit for Port Adelaide

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Terrific stuff boys right up my alley. My Port was the 60's Bruce Light, Damien Nyland,
Jeff Potter, Fritz Freeman, Reggie Beaufort, Ron Elleway, Geoff Motley, Dennis Errey, Bubbles Obst,

Ah yes, Damien Nyland and Reg 'Bomber' Beaufort but I enjoyed reading your post Byrons and I share it's sentiment and may you keep on Firen for many years to come. :)

I recall Kochie on AFL360 saying he and Cos Cardone came up with "we will never ever give up" but your point's well made... there's no doubt Ken's ensconced himself in the history of our club.

Every time he speaks it makes me so bloody rapt he's at Port Adelaide.

Thanks for those corrections LR. The Damien Nyland was my HDD mal-functioning
confusing the Norwood player of the time Nygaard who Kerley took out one game(at the Parade)
with an elbow to his jaw. Made the front page of the Mail the next day.
What you postered above has some wonderful lines.
There was one occasion at AO in the mid to late 60's that I'll never forget.
We were playing Sturt and their champion Paul Bagshaw had the ball around the wing
western side. With nothing on offer Baggy set off bouncing the ball across the ground
shadowed by Bruce Light I think. Back and forth Baggy bounced the ball changing direction
at least twice (frankly he was hot dogging it) he didn't lack for confidence. The Port player
bided his time before pouncing on the prima donna and burying his pretty nose into the turf.
Pretty sure we lost that day as we did many times v Sturt then, but the roar from our faithful
on seeing the great Baggy upended in a crumpled heap was fantastic.

Ken and Cos came up with the line and said fo Ken we have to promise our fans one thing that we are going to do. When they told him the line he fully embraced it and promised them our players would deliver on it. But that was after Ken had the players for 3 months not 3 days.

You definitely sensed he had read a bit of our history for sure

Ah yes, Damien Nyland and Reg 'Bomber' Beaufort but I enjoyed reading your post Byrons and I share it's sentiment and may you keep on Firen for many years to come. :)

They are very kind sentiments and truly appreciated. Please take it as a given, a
vis a vis.

They are very kind sentiments and truly appreciated. Please take it as a given, a
vis a vis.

Us old timers have to stick together.

The mention of Reg Beaufoy bought to mind the question if Reggie is still with us. He was a member of Dad's Army but I seem to remember that he passed away some years ago. Can someone clarify this please?

Cherokee Parks = Mark Conway
Bobby Hurley (RIP) = Nathan Steinberner
Danny Ferry = Jay Nash

Yeah, Bobby Hurley survived, Bobby Phills of the Hornets (separate crash) did not.

Jon Scheyer = Daniel Schell

Thanks for that Kev. I remember Reggie taking a mark on the boundary in the 1965 GF and Reg was out of bounds when he ran into kick and KG Cunningham took the ball off of him claiming that Reg had run out of bounds. That was the most one sided exhibition of umpiring I have ever seen and Cunningham gave Sturt 19 more frees on the day yet we still won. In 1990 when Cunningham was booed out of Alberton Oval during our AFL push my mind went back to Cunningham and that GF. It was 50 years ago next year, wow!

Geez, how times have changed, Reggie was only 188cm yet he played a lot at CHF. Some of the current Power midfield are around 188cms. I remember Sambo Salmon was only around 6'1" and Keith Spencer around 6"2' yet both played as a ruckmen in that era or a bit later. Spence had a great leap but Sambo with his crew cut hair style just wore the bastards down. Had an idea Sambo wore 27 and Spence 22.
That said we have used Tom Jonas as a stop gap CHB and he is only 188cm so I guess anything is possible if you have the right player.

Thanks for that Kev. I remember Reggie taking a mark on the boundary in the 1965 GF and Reg was out of bounds when he ran into kick and KG Cunningham took the ball off of him claiming that Reg had run out of bounds. That was the most one sided exhibition of umpiring I have ever seen and Cunningham gave Sturt 19 more frees on the day yet we still won. In 1990 when Cunningham was booed out of Alberton Oval during our AFL push my mind went back to Cunningham and that GF. It was 50 years ago next year, wow!

Geez, how times have changed, Reggie was only 188cm yet he played a lot at CHF. Some of the current Power midfield are around 188cms. I remember Sambo Salmon was only around 6'1" and Keith Spencer around 6"2' yet both played as a ruckmen in that era or a bit later. Spence had a great leap but Sambo with his crew cut hair style just wore the bastards down. Had an idea Sambo wore 27 and Spence 22.
That said we have used Tom Jonas as a stop gap CHB and he is only 188cm so I guess anything is possible if you have the right player.

Here's the text from the link kindly provided by nivek48 above :-
Port Adelaide's Reg Beaufoy was the quintessential embodiment of the Fos Williams ideal of having a formidable, towering presence at centre half forward who was equally capable of taking a highly damaging foray on the ball. Lloyd Zucker and Ian Hannaford were other significant manifestations of this tenet, but at 188cm and 96kg, Beaufoy was by some measure the most physically awe-inspiring. Sadly, however, in 1968, aged just 22, his career was cut short by a serious knee injury sustained in a match against Woodville. Up to that point, Beaufoy had played 80 games in six seasons, with some of his most potent performances coming in finals. In 1965, he was a member of the Port Adelaide team which overcame Sturt by three points in front of a then record Grand Final crowd of 62,543.

I reckon I can remember the incident mentioned by raptalia in the 1965 Grand Final. It happened in front of the Members' Stand on the western side half-forward flank with Port kicking to the Cathedral end - the same flank where, with us kicking towards the River end, Geof Motley gave Diamond Jim Tilbrook a football lesson. Beaufoy was a lefty and ran out to that side a bit like Buddy F, so that wouldn't have helped.

My personal Beaufoy favourite was a different game when he took an uncontested mark at CHF, again kicking to the Cathedral end. I was watching from behind the goals as Ross Haslam raced past Big Reg, screaming for the handball. Reg obliged, left-handed, instead of going back and kicking for goal himself. Ross ran in and slotted from close range. It was the first time I'd seen the tactic work so well. Beaufoy's handpass was pinpoint, but nobody in the old days handballed after a mark.

Ross Haslam came up to HK with the PAFC Board in May and I told him about it. He was so chuffed he made sure I repeated it word for word to his partner over dinner. I also reminded him he wore # 11. "Nobody ever remembered that before either," he laughed.

Lockhart Road I was lucky enough to meet Bob Philp today, lovely man and tells a good story. Any anecdotes about Philpy? :D

PS I had a Ross Haslam footy card when I was a little tacker.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back