News Franklin re-signs for one more year!

Remove this Banner Ad

People talk about AFL premierships like they are NBA rings and that's all the matters in wether a player has been great or not.

Making 3 grand finals is a success and Buddy has been worth the money.

People talk about AFL premierships like they are NBA rings and that's all the matters in wether a player has been great or not.

Exactly it's helped give them a shot at winning them, just because the team as a collective couldn't quite get the job done (but may still do on Sat) doesn't make the decision a 'mistake'.

Currently 8th on the Leading Goal Scorers list for 2022 converting roughly 2/3's of his opportunities.
Happy to see him go around again next year, also could become the first player to kick 500 goals at 2 different clubs if I am not mistaken as well.

He himself gave the reason "to help Sydney win premierships" as the reason why he defected from Hawthorn.

On that basis his move was a failure.

He himself gave the reason "to help Sydney win premierships" as the reason why he defected from Hawthorn.

On that basis his move was a failure.

This has been mentioned a lot but I will say it again. Buddy did not leave Hawthorn because he thought Sydney had a better chance of winning flags. He left because he wanted to get out of the fishbowl that is Melbourne, he wanted to go to Sydney, which meant the two clubs he could go to were Sydney and GWS and if those two clubs he thought Sydney had a better chance of winning flags.

Even if the Swans fall short on Saturday lol at anyone that thinks that it wasn't worth the Swans taking the opportunity on getting him up there.

I'm a bit nervous about him playing on next year as if his form slips I hate greats going out struggling but I'm sure he will prove me wrong.
It’d be a shame if he was dropped into the reserves etc but I think as long as he can rest the odd game and kick say 30+ from 17-18 games he justifies selection in the side. That would still be a dip from this year.

If they win it this year I think it’d be the perfect way to wrap it up, but even if he’s agreed to a pay cut it’s still probably hard to say no to $600k.

It’d be a shame if he was dropped into the reserves etc but I think as long as he can rest the odd game and kick say 30+ from 17-18 games he justifies selection in the side. That would still be a dip from this year.

If they win it this year I think it’d be the perfect way to wrap it up, but even if he’s agreed to a pay cut it’s still probably hard to say no to $600k.
Yeah, considering he's pocketed 10milli over the last decade, it would be hard to say no to one more year at a reduced rate to do something you love doing in a successful environment.

If we were bottom 4 this year and looked no hope for next year would he really want to go slug it out in a struggling team again? Maybe not

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's enough of a headache for oppo to keep going on. He looks lean and fully motivated. Lot of names below him on the goals list this year. His agility is still there enough to fit the game style.

The only question I would have is if he is delaying development of other players unnecessarily. Seems not, just yet, given the 1 year offer.

Yeah, considering he's pocketed 10milli over the last decade, it would be hard to say no to one more year at a reduced rate to do something you love doing in a successful environment.

If we were bottom 4 this year and looked no hope for next year would he really want to go slug it out in a struggling team again? Maybe not
Possibly not.

Then again if you were in a rebuild and a contender made a one off $800k offer for 2023 you get the impression he’d just do it.

He is not the same player he was at his peak but he is still good enough to play a key role in a grand final team.

I also think him continuing another year is good for Logan McDonald. I think back on players like Jonathan Brown who had long apprenticeships at the start of their career playing next to star forwards in premiership contending teams and you could see the luxury of time did wonders for their development. Nobody has patience in today's social media generation but Brown wasn't his team's leading goal kicker until his 6th season! While other key forwards were battered and bruised by becoming the focal point too early.

He is not the same player he was at his peak but he is still good enough to play a key role in a grand final team.

I also think him continuing another year is good for Logan McDonald. I think back on players like Jonathan Brown who had long apprenticeships at the start of their career playing next to star forwards in premiership contending teams and you could see the luxury of time did wonders for their development. Nobody has patience in today's social media generation but Brown wasn't his team's leading goal kicker until his 6th season! While other key forwards were battered and bruised by becoming the focal point too early.

Very good call. Buddy going around another year gives McDonald another year to develop without the pressure of being the main focus and getting the number 1 defender.

Dj Khaled GIF by Music Choice

If he kicks 3 or 4 in a winning Grand Final, does that put him down as best key forward of all time?

the unknown,and you'll never know because his development may have already been hampered,let alone anutha season wasted waiting for Buddy to move on
its a premiership business this AFL,FACT is u guys have won SFA with Franklin,the records show you've won zilch,nada,zero,absolutely nuthing,its gonna be an interesting watch saturday, pressures still on Sydney & Franklin more than ever imo.
Someone's looking down the barrel of a very long off-season...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back