News Franklin & Sydney at stalemate over new contract terms

Remove this Banner Ad

Allegedly she told him that unless he moved to Sydney they were breaking up.
Allegedly he wanted to remain at hawthorn but her actions impacted the relationship between him and the club.

How truthful I doubt we ever know
Cheers I wasn't aware of that. Probably didn't help having Clarko chasing him to Vegas either.

Starts the season as a 36yo next year, just came off a 9 year deal where he earned $10m and played 150 out of a possible 200 games.
Surely if he wants to play on, he takes a generous hit? Is he worth more than $500k? Probably. Doesn't mean he should chase the max he can get.
Does he want to play on for a little retirement fund, or to chase one last flag?

Look at what happens when you offer a player a ridiculous contract, they expect it to be the norm for them .....
But it wasn't a ridiculous contract...

The first 5 years of the contract - 2014 to 2018 - Buddy was the no.1 forward in the comp and one of the top handful of players in the game.
3rd in 2014 Brownlow, 5th in the 2017 Brownlow... He kicked 337 goals (avg 3.2) and single-handedly led the Swans into two Grand Finals.

The last 4 years have been a bit more problematic with injuries causing him to miss a season and a half of football.
But he has still averaged more goals per game than anyone else.

2019-2022
Tom Hawkins........ 210 goals, 86 games (avg 2.4)
Jeremy Cameron... 185 goals, 72 games (avg 2.6)
Tom Lynch............ 169 goals, 76 games (avg 2.2)
Josh Kennedy........ 149 goals, 69 games (avg 2.2)
Harry McKay......... 141 goals, 65 games (avg 2.2)
Jack Riewoldt........ 138 goals, 70 games (avg 2.0)
Taylor Walker......... 137 goals, 65 games (avg 2.1)
Lance Franklin....... 112 goals, 42 games (avg 2.7)

Buddy has given a far better return on his contract than most stars who sign big money deals.

150 games, 449 goals, 4 times All Australian with the Swans

How's Brodie Grundy been going since he signed for millions? Or Josh Kelly? Stephen Coniglio? Isaac Heeney? Nick Naitanui? Nat Fyfe? Dusty Martin? Charlie Dixon? Or what about Patrick Cripps? He was in stellar form for the first 2 months of this season. But for the most part, he has been battling injuries and been pretty ordinary.

Last edited:
Starts the season as a 36yo next year, just came off a 9 year deal where he earned $10m and played 150 out of a possible 200 games.
Surely if he wants to play on, he takes a generous hit? Is he worth more than $500k? Probably. Doesn't mean he should chase the max he can get.
Does he want to play on for a little retirement fund, or to chase one last flag?
Buddy could retire at the end of this season.

He should be financially set up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Put it this way... He's too old for Geelong to be interested. 500K a year + performance bonus is a gift for a 36 year old. He fell off a cliff three years ago from a general output level, only reason he is still able to produce at AFL level (outside his obvious gifts and talent) is he gets fed so much ball. From memory Sydney actually win more games when he isn't in the team, makes them more unpredictable. I mean as a Geelong fan I hope Sydney bend over as it will disadvantage them long term, but as a neutral I think Buddy has a pretty weak negotiating position.

But it wasn't a ridiculous contract...

The first 5 years of the contract - 2014 to 2018 - Buddy was the no.1 forward in the comp and one of the top handful of players in the game.
3rd in 2014 Brownlow, 5th in the 2017 Brownlow... He kicked 337 goals (avg 3.2) and single-handedly led the Swans into two Grand Finals.

The last 4 years have been a bit more problematic with injuries causing him to miss a season and a half of football.
But he has still averaged more goals per game than anyone else.

2019-2022
Tom Hawkins........ 210 goals, 86 games (avg 2.4)
Jeremy Cameron... 185 goals, 72 games (avg 2.6)
Tom Lynch............ 169 goals, 76 games (avg 2.2)
Josh Kennedy........ 149 goals, 69 games (avg 2.2)
Harry McKay......... 141 goals, 65 games (avg 2.2)
Jack Riewoldt........ 138 goals, 70 games (avg 2.0)
Taylor Walker......... 137 goals, 65 games (avg 2.1)
Lance Franklin....... 112 goals, 42 games (avg 2.7)

Buddy has given a far better return on his contract than most stars who sign big money deals.

150 games, 449 goals, 4 times All Australian with the Swans

How's Brodie Grundy been going since he signed for millions? Or Josh Kelly? Stephen Coniglio? Isaac Heeney? Nick Naitanui? Nat Fyfe? Dusty Martin? Charlie Dixon? Or what about Patrick Cripps? He was in stellar form for the first 2 months of this season. But for the most part, he has been battling injuries and been pretty ordinary.

And he has kicked half the goals in half the games of Hawkins.

Given his age I would look at the last 2 years rather than 4 years. Which have been pretty good. But the risk is he continues to miss a lot of games.

Hawkins is a couple of years younger but far more dependable.

Gee it would be bloody interesting if he did go to Freo, I would love seeing that.

Lobb is leaving afterall so there is definitely a place for him, if Mundy goes around again Buddy won't even be the oldest in the team!

Obviously Freo are better off chasing Logan McDonald but they may only have one chance at a Premiership over a two year window and one of those years is this year.

Gee it would be bloody interesting if he did go to Freo, I would love seeing that.

Lobb is leaving afterall so there is definitely a place for him, if Mundy goes around again Buddy won't even be the oldest in the team!

Obviously Freo are better off chasing Logan McDonald but they may only have one chance at a Premiership over a two year window and one of those years is this year.
I hope Mundy goes another year. Play until 2023.

Saying that.... I want Freo to get buddy Franklin. We are not handling a 1st and 2nd rounder to get him.

Logan McDonald is tempting. But swans will offer way to much. Most Freo fans are happy with Josh Tracy and Jye Amiss slowly develop to solid forwards.

I feel like we've seen this movie before:
  • Player: I want all the money!
  • Club: No, less.
  • Manager to media: psst, player open to move clubs
  • Media: CONTRACT STALLED! PLAYER TO BE AT NEW CLUB! HUGE NEW DEAL!!
  • Nek Minnut: Contract signed between player and club.
We should be due a "Buddy linked with Collingwood / Buddy sighted talking to Perth person" any day now.

Bud and Swans sign one year deal in a fortnight.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back