Review Fremantle vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

How is it possible in this day and age for an AFL player to have his head over the ball and get hit high and injured to the point that he is subbed out of the game with concussion, but no free kick is given and the commentators don't even mention the incident until half time?

How?

Good performance, the big guns in the middle all played well, we kicked a score essentially without Pav, Sonny and Ballas, and won at the G.

Next!

CEDz0ROVEAAr9om.png

Positives
- We've been piling them on when we have the ascendancy thus far this year.
- An even contribution by many and we ran the game out well even though we were down 2 on rotations.
- Maynie hitting some good form is rather joyous.
- Luke, Johnno and Ibbo are combining beautifully down back.
- After 5 rounds, the improvement across the board is telling - Clancee, Suban, Deboer, D.Pearce, Clarke, Mayne, Ibbo all having better seasons.
- Lachie is becoming as key to us as Fyfe, Mundy, Barlow and Hill.
- Fitness and health of the list looks good.

The Upside
- Ballaz and Walters yet to hit their straps.
- Taberner to continue to grow in confidence.
- A bit cute with the ball at times but I'm happy to take it.

Melbourne played Mayne, Barlow, Suban and Lachie back into form.

Tabs was taking marks, Hogan was totally lost.

Hogan just got McPharlin'd today. No shame in that. It's all part of his apprenticeship before he joins us in a few years....... (hopefully)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really good to see Tabs show his aggressive side today. Had a wrestle with Lynden Dunn, who must've thought he was on a soccer field with that reaction, then followed it up with a nice solid bump in the following passage of play.

Oh and he's scored 7 goals in 4 games this season.

Well done buddy :thumbsu:

Great win, liked Mayne, Barlow finding some form and Mundy and Fyfe continuing to dominate. Bit worried about our small forwards, either completely devoid of form or alternatively we've changed our forward structure from previous years which might well be the case. Also think Sutcliffe isn't great as a small defender but do love him streaming down the wing.

Got to say though while I sometimes can't see why Suban is picked if he continues to back up that performance he ain't gonna get replaced.

Yep, really agree with your comments. The most disappointing players so far this year have been Ballas, Walters and Sutcliffe (yeah I know suspension and knocked out today but in general). Could see Sutty getting a break but knowing Lyon always unlikely.

Suban was a real highlight today and won't have to worry about his position next week.

Also it was clever to start resting players like Pav today:D

The Port game we started scrappy then ran over them. The Sydney game we started flawlessly then parked the car. Geelong aren't the same Geelong as before, but a good win nonetheless.

We're 5 zip, top%, with two tougher games to come than today - and if we dish up what we did today, we won't get away with it against a better opponent. Not to say we're doomed - just that there's enough there to work on to not be drinking the bathwater just yet ;)

We beat a team that many were worried about by 12 goals, people moaning that we don't finish teams off, 2 major forwards down injured and Ballas contributing zilch.

Tough month coming up just like the tough games we have had.

One game at a time with the cushion of being clear at the top.

You wring your hands, I'm cracking a beer :D :thumbsu:

We beat a team that many were worried about by 12 goals, people moaning that we don't finish teams off, 2 major forwards down injured and Ballas contributing zilch.

Tough month coming up just like the tough games we have had.

One game at a time with the cushion of being clear at the top.

You wring your hands, I'm cracking a beer :D :thumbsu:

It was the first half when we still had Pav, and for the first quarter Walters that we were playing overcute and fudging it. A win is a win - i'm certainly not hating on the team, there's just room to improve and bits to work on.

Sorry but deboer is not up to it. Isn't quick enough with his mind which results in slower play and stupid frees against. Loved his efforts as a sub (playing 1 qtr) but he is a liability in a fullish game. Muz or tommy need to come in. For the record I love mdb's endeavour but he's not best 22.

Next rant is about d pearce. I love what he brings but if he lifts ten % opp teams will freak out with him and hill as threats. 9 inside 50s but should have been more damaging. On telly we never know who his opponent is. He is always forward of the play (which is his job) but a wingman in a good side may tear apart in clearances/ on rebound etc. If he has 15 touches and 12 hit targets we win.

I'm not big on bagging our own players out, but I thought DeBoer was very poor today. 16 possession, but gave away 5 really dumb free kicks, I think all of them were for high tackles.

For me the improvement through the year will come when we replace the "foot soldiers" with more highly skilled alternatives.

It seems we are intent on being more attacking this year, so would like to see Crozier in for DeBoer, rather than just rotating the sub vest between DeBoer and Mzungu. Having said that, I think we also need to give Mzungu a full game to see how he performs, perhaps give one of Barlow or Suban a rest.

We also seem vulnerable to small forwards, a problem we have had for some time. Any chance we could see Brady Grey come in as a back pocket / HBF? I don't think Jeff Garlett would have had things as easy as he did today against Sutty and Spurr.

Overall really happy with the win, bank the four points and get ready for the druggies at home. They seem to be coming right back to the pack now that the emotion of the investigation is fading - hoping for another solid win next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back