Fyfe out for two - Periositis

Remove this Banner Ad

Herald sun are so clever

An injury "could" rule him out for the whole season yes

Pretty bold prediction with 2 rounds left

I can only assume they mean finals, which is even more disgracefully alarmist and sensationalist. I think Fyfe would play this week if it was the QF, the two weeks is to ensure that come the QF he's closer to 100% than 70%.

There was a rumour on bigfooty he was suppose to miss rest of season weeks ago!!

Freo risked him by playing him.

You must not think too highly of Fremantle players that have been reported then, including Fyfe.

It's a brutal game. Harden up mate.

Plus Mitchell didn't try to hurt anyone. Was protecting himself from a player who was charging at him off the ball.

That's beyond pathetic, buddy. Mitchell has been under the microscope before for deliberately injuring other players. He is a master of dog acts - a lot like his buddy Hodge. This article sums it up nicely:

http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/07/15/sam-mitchell-deliberately-corking-oppositions-best-players/

I particularly like the following observations:

“It’s not about technique. I’m sorry Sam, after three times I’m starting to believe that you’re deliberately doing that,”

“It’s not about a protection mechanism, it’s about hurting your opposition and it absolutely has to stop.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Periostitis, also known as periostalgia, is a medical condition caused by inflammation of the periosteum, a layer of connective tissue that surrounds bone.[1] The condition is generally chronic, and is marked by tenderness and swelling of the bone and an aching pain.

I hope it's not chronic with Nathan :-(
It's like stress fractures. It's an overload injury from running too much.

Yep, related to the cork.

Not sure why some Freo fans keep labouring the point about a cork thigh he received 7 weeks ago from Sam Mitchell.
It's got nothing to do with his actual problem.

Sam Mitchell you dirty prick.

Some people always need a bad guy to hate on and blame for everything.

You must not think too highly of Fremantle players that have been reported then, including Fyfe.

It's a brutal game. Harden up mate.

Plus Mitchell didn't try to hurt anyone. Was protecting himself from a player who was charging at him off the ball.

Wow. Naivety at it's finest. Just like Hodge never tries to hurt anyone.

Take the poo n wee blinkers off, pal.

No offence Spoken, but neither article really indicate that the current issue (shin splints for short) have anything to do with the Mitchell cork. I said it above, it's unlikely to really - it's nearly always associated with excessive running workload, a rapid growth of the connected muscles and/or excessive exercise during a growth spurt - or a combination of the above.

I've had them, they're a s**t and can take many months to go away entirely, but can also feel great after a week or two rest - you can also generally play through them so he'll play finals either way.

No offence Spoken, but neither article really indicate that the current issue (shin splints for short) have anything to do with the Mitchell cork. I said it above, it's unlikely to really - it's nearly always associated with excessive running workload, a rapid growth of the connected muscles and/or excessive exercise during a growth spurt - or a combination of the above.

I've had them, they're a s**t and can take many months to go away entirely, but can also feel great after a week or two rest - you can also generally play through them so he'll play finals either way.

OK, I won't debate the point with you other than to say the coincidence of Fyfe succumbing immediately after the cork is a little too much to ignore.

I am interested however in your personal reflections on the condition. Clearly it is affecting him as his stats have noticeably declined. You say that players can generally play through them. Would this involve jabbing him up or something similar?

I'm just annoyed that we didn't rest him for the Carlton game. Maybe the Richmond game. He was running around with a massive bandage on his thigh, it clearly wasn't healed and he shouldn't have been playing. Blame Mitchell for the cork, but I also blame our medical staff for allowing these flow-on leg problems to develop. Poor player management.

In that article in the West Australian, August 18th, Fyfe mentions a groin injury which sidelined him for 2 weeks. He said that his groins were a weak spot and it may have flared from favouring the leg with the corked thigh

“Groins usually have been my weak spot so it was a bit of a concoction of a few different things.
But I’ve certainly knocked it on the head after two weeks.”

Knocked it on the head...

So now he's got periostitis in the fibula (similar to shin splints) and you wanna blame this on the cork thigh as well?!?

Incredible.

Anything else?

In that article in the West Australian, August 18th, Fyfe mentions a groin injury which sidelined him for 2 weeks. He said that his groins were a weak spot and it may have flared from favouring the leg with the corked thigh

“Groins usually have been my weak spot so it was a bit of a concoction of a few different things.

So now he's got periostitis in the fibula (similar to shin splints) and you wanna blame this on the cork thigh as well?!?

Incredible.

Anything else?
Which team will you support next, Chewy?

Incredible.

Anything else?

Are you serious? How many players understate (or overstate) their physical condition in the media? Josh Kennedy from West Coast has been saying that there is nothing wrong with his elbow but its well known that his injured tendon is being managed and he will have end of year surgery. It's quite incredible that you would take what a player or coach says in the media as 100% factual.

BTW, remember that you are on our board, not the main board.

It's like stress fractures. It's an overload injury from running too much.

Not sure why some Freo fans keep labouring the point about a cork thigh he received 7 weeks ago from Sam Mitchell.
It's got nothing to do with his actual problem.

Some people always need a bad guy to hate on and blame for everything.

I corrected myself if you bothered to read on. However, albeit a gun footballer thAt was a dirty act by Sam on Fyfe wasn't his first victim. Kinda like Stevie J I suppose.

And yes, before you say it Silvagnis was also - but this is a Freo board.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back