scottydeewah

Premiership Player
Mar 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Ok first that is not youngLing it is a youngling. I am after any sort of surprises that we may be able to go for in the draft from the younger players. Are there any that may go early next year that we could pick up late?

Ok first that is not youngLing it is a youngling. I am after any sort of surprises that we may be able to go for in the draft from the younger players. Are there any that may go early next year that we could pick up late?

Well if you believe half the waffle in the media every player in the draft will turn out as good as either Ablett or Carey. It is a superdraft after all.

Brent Prismalls bro Rhyce would be an awesome pickup at 57. i read somewhere he would be considered top ten next year as this year he is on the younger, less developed side. :thumbsu:

I think it may be difficult to find a Pavlich this year , Scotty. This draft has been really studied hard but a couple of youngins whos names have been mention but may just slip

Rhyce Prismall - 6Apr89
Andrejs Everitt - 13Mar89
Tim Houlihan - 10Feb89
Ben Ried - 29Apr89 (just eligible)

Falcons
Liam Jackson - 23Mar89
Jak Kennedy-Hunt - 14Dec89

The thing is we grab these guys as Rookies so its only our last pick that we are talking.

Would we possibly have a go at say a Prismall at our early pick say 25? It would be great to pick him up at 57 but would he really drop that far?

I think it may be difficult to find a Pavlich this year , Scotty. This draft has been really studied hard but a couple of youngins whos names have been mention but may just slip

Rhyce Prismall - 6Apr89
Andrejs Everitt - 13Mar89
Tim Houlihan - 10Feb89
Ben Ried - 29Apr89 (just eligible)

Falcons
Liam Jackson - 23Mar89
Jak Kennedy-Hunt - 14Dec89

The thing is we grab these guys as Rookies so its only our last pick that we are talking.

Is he related to all the other Houlihans? If so their parents sure were busy! :p

Would we possibly have a go at say a Prismall at our early pick say 25? It would be great to pick him up at 57 but would he really drop that far?

I recon he wont last til pick 57 - he's a gun in the making IMO (Only seen him play a few times though). If we picked him up at pick 25 it would probably be worth it in the long run but he is a while off AFL level.:thumbsu:

As rookie selections? Afraid it can't be done Turbo. Bottom-agers aren't eligible for the rookie draft.

It's particularly hard to really nail a good, worthy, bottom-aged prospect late in the draft. The better, more established and proven prospects (guys like Sellar) will all be picked up early on. The same could probably be said of guys like Reid, Collier, Hawksley, Houlihan, Schmidt, Prismall and Everitt; all 1st-3rd Round material guys.

We might be tempted to look at prospects like Schofield (quick, spoil-first key position player), Austin (pacy, rebounding CHB prospect), or longershots such as Tarrant, Arrowsmith, Currie etc.

We may need to take a bit of a risk on Rhyce.

For the Jets last season, of the 15 games he played, he was named in the best 9 times, and kicked a total of 31 goals, including 4 once (a winning effort against Eastern), and three goals on 5 different occasions.

And he's eligible to go around in the TAC Cup again next season.

The kid can play.

As rookie selections? Afraid it can't be done Turbo. Bottom-agers aren't eligible for the rookie draft.

It's particularly hard to really nail a good, worthy, bottom-aged prospect late in the draft. The better, more established and proven prospects (guys like Sellar) will all be picked up early on. The same could probably be said of guys like Reid, Collier, Hawksley, Houlihan, Schmidt, Prismall and Everitt; all 1st-3rd Round material guys.

We might be tempted to look at prospects like Schofield (quick, spoil-first key position player), Austin (pacy, rebounding CHB prospect), or longershots such as Tarrant, Arrowsmith, Currie etc.

Sorry G , poor effort by myself

it should have read

The thing is we CAN'T grab these guys as Rookies so its only our last pick that we are talking.

All the same I think "the Rookie system" is good but could be improved.For instance , Its a shame that we cant just automatically list Davenport as a Rookie , the same sort of situation as when we grabbed Egan , we put time into and get limited reward without letting every other club have a look.
Think on the depth of this draft , there will be kids who miss getting drafted who might normally got a gig , what happens to them? It Its wrong to be almost washed up at 21 , some guys take longer and we should have a system that gives these long terms a bit more of a go. Look at Stokes , the way he played his first year , hes a player that was just as deserving a go than many kids drafted , maybe more , but his size obviously put people off .
Another thing I read at the week end was the advantage that interstate clubs have in drafting multiple rucks. They can have extra guys on their lists amd palm them off to their children clubs where as we, for instance would have to try to fit three or four in the one VFL side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back