Review Geelong beats Weagles by 47 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
gah, that's no good. Dempsey might get a good run at it in Stengle's absence.
Or Simpson.

The other decision (which might be easier) is Rohan back and keep O Henry as a “smaller forward”. Or shuffle Bowes/2E/Smith into forward line? (And bring Bruhn or Parf into team/sub)

If they truely want to rest players and play a broader squad then Dempsey or Simpson should come in…but I wouldn’t be shocked if they play safe and shuffle the players around to try and cover?

At half time less than a week ago we were looking like the worst team in the AFL, so the second half "que in the rack, never out of second gear" phases me little.
We did enough to get an insurmountable lead and kept them there, this isn't prime form Geelong at the top of their game, this is Geelong still working into the season and fitness and trying to work some things out, a drop of 5-10% in intensity when we get 13 goals up is completely fine.
For those who bemoan a lack of percentage and any possible future issues that could bring, when was the last time percentage was the factor in a genuine ladder position difference for us?
I'd rather go easy like we did today than continue to go hard and risk a Jezza hammy or Hawkins quad or Danger calf.

Didn't start well. In fairness nor did anyone besides JC, but when you're fringe and a few players have come back in it's seen him out. He will get more opportunities but will need to be good to stay in (which is a good problem to have).
Wouldn’t be suprised to see him play or sub on Friday. He was good in VFL last week and had this weekend off so will be a fresh option for next week

The door was opened for him today, but he didn't take the opportunity.

He might get another chance next week, and if so, he'll definitely want to make an impression then or he'll run out of opportunities.
To be fair this happens to lots of players over the years. Some make it others don't.

I like his grunt but he is a bit off at the moment. And he is not alone.

Fox saying Stanley could be is trouble for dangerous tackle. Stengle potential broken wrist, might be a few changes next week. Lets hope the talk of Heeney being in doubt is true.

Also think we missed Bews run from the back.
Stanley will go because ... Geelong. But I repeat myself. Again.

I thought the tackle was ok, but I may be a bit biased.

Or Simpson.

The other decision (which might be easier) is Rohan back and keep O Henry as a “smaller forward”. Or shuffle Bowes/2E/Smith into forward line? (And bring Bruhn or Parf into team/sub)

If they truely want to rest players and play a broader squad then Dempsey or Simpson should come in…but I wouldn’t be shocked if they play safe and shuffle the players around to try and cover?

Depends on what we do. Next week i suspect we go rohan for stengle and reshuffle (henry will stay in as he was good) longer term if stengle misses a while dempsey will get games.

I thought we were ok without being great just meh, the second half looked like a team in self preservation mode to me which i can understand with sydney and a 6 day break coming.

I thought henry showed some good signs, good to see close finally find form (which we will need with stengle out). Danger led well, stewart very good as always. Sav is improving but he still makes dumb errors 1 on 1 its noticeable how much better he does when we have pressure upfield and he can fly and intercept rather than be deep 1 out and have to wrestle or body his forward. I doubt we can afford his inexperience in the position in finals. Parfitt tried hard but his disposal was scrappy again he needs to improve a lot if he wants a b22 spot back.

Clearly when our midfield pressure is good and we win clearances our forward line is top 3 in the league and will blow teams away. When our midfield pressure is poor our slower legs get caught and create gaps in transition and the defence is very vulnerable without henry.

I don't think Dempsey gets Stengles spot, Rohan and Ollie just both play.
It's not the same kind of replacement but it's still a super potent forwardline so they'll rejig the structure.
For Dempsey to get in 1 of those 2 have to miss out IMO, and they won't.

Dempsey will get games as we will need to rest and rotate the older guys but i agree he isnt best 22 just yet.

From the AFL article regarding Stengle's broken wrist - who wants to tell Josh Gabelich that he's a bit off the mark with this:

Geelong has a fairly clean bill of health at the moment, with Jack Henry (foot) and Sam Menegola (knee) both yet to play in 2023 and both expected to miss the first half of the season.

At half time less than a week ago we were looking like the worst team in the AFL, so the second half "que in the rack, never out of second gear" phases me little.
We did enough to get an insurmountable lead and kept them there, this isn't prime form Geelong at the top of their game, this is Geelong still working into the season and fitness and trying to work some things out, a drop of 5-10% in intensity when we get 13 goals up is completely fine.
For those who bemoan a lack of percentage and any possible future issues that could bring, when was the last time percentage was the factor in a genuine ladder position difference for us?
I'd rather go easy like we did today than continue to go hard and risk a Jezza hammy or Hawkins quad or Danger calf.

I agree with all that.
That said though due to 0-3 start we are more likely to end up say 14-9 than 18-5 so % will be more of a factor in our ladder position than it has been in previous years.

From the AFL article regarding Stengle's broken wrist - who wants to tell Josh Gabelich that he's a bit off the mark with this:

Geelong has a fairly clean bill of health at the moment, with Jack Henry (foot) and Sam Menegola (knee) both yet to play in 2023 and both expected to miss the first half of the season.

Lol poor journalism.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawkins is slowly getting there, still a bit off on fitness but good signs
I really only got to watch the last 10 minutes - only concern with Hawkins would seem to be the late contest in our forward line where the Eagles defender landed in his back & Hawkins was slow to get up

He seemed to be stretching out his calf, so hopefully it was a bit of cramp & not another cork like he received in week 1

re: Parfitt I've been a fan over the years and he is a Premiership player.

He looked at one point as though he might be one of our first picked mids for years to come. Nowadays he finds himself on the periphery.

Some sloppy disposal today and looked quite fumbly to me at times, but by the same token he covered the ground well and got to the right spots regularly. Hopefully he can find a bit of touch in the coming weeks and get back to his best form.

Hes clearly depth not best 22 unless he improves his disposal a lot. Which is not where i thought he would be 2 years ago.

What happened to Bruhn? All I heard in the off season was what a great pick up he was.

Killed it in the vfl last week. Will be back in soon i suspect.

Hes clearly depth not best 22 unless he improves his disposal a lot. Which is not where i thought he would be 2 years ago.

Likewise, he's gone backwards for sure.
Possibly due to lack of continuity but his disposal today was putrid and he made poor decisions with the ball.
It's not like Sav or Zuthrie who are/were young, he's old enough now that it simply isn't good enough to warrant a spot in the 22.

The disposal wasn't great, but I was even more surprised by some of his fumbling - never seemed to completely regain his best touch after breaking his thumb a couple of times.

I won't give up on him yet, a couple of years ago he looked to be close to our most promising player.

At his best he's shown some real defensive grit and at one point he had just about the best side-step in the biz. Been a while since we've seen that, but 2023 is still young and he has time to find confidence and form.

Honestly if Stanley is in trouble for that then the game is doomed.

Allen threw himself forward as soon as he got the ball. He was already on his knees. You are aloud to hang onto a bloke. It was a shocking free let alone a report.
if that is a report then what about the dangerous tackle that made parifts head go up and down like a bobble toy and broke his wrist?

The coalface is pretty lukewarm for us these days and these large clearance famines are quite bad.

With Selwood gone, there's a pretty obvious hole in the midfield and I don't think anybody on the team can cover it.

I'm thinking we'll probably drop a few games this year against stellar midfields. It's a shame we couldn't have traded in a real a-grader to keep things ticking in there. If only we'd been able to keep a fit and healthy Tim Kelly...

with all this working into the season talk, you still need to be thereabouts.

What is the point in working into the season if you are 2-5 after round 7? which is very possible with our form.

does anyone win premierships from 2-5? it would be very very few teams if any.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back