Meet Up Geelong Blogger Community - introduce yourself

Remove this Banner Ad

This year marks my 65th year as a Geelong supporter and 20th as a member.
I worked in banking/IT for 35 years and spent my last 15 working years as a forklift driver.
I suffered badly from depression after my daughter passed away from an overdose and marriage breakup in 2004.
This team gave and continues to give me something to look forward to every week during every season and 2007 helped me turn the corner.
The community on the Geelong board helps keep me sane believe it or not, long may it continue.
These days in retirement I like the escapism of WWE/AEW, Marvel movies/shows, having a punt and tending my vegie garden.
I mainly only go to afternoon games at GMHBA and I love getting home with no voice.
And no, my username has nothing to do with drugs, which I abhor, I'm a huge Rolling Stones fan.

I live in Melbourne's west with my wife and 2yo son. bub no. 2 is expected in April.

Started following Geelong in the late 90s when I lived in Geelong. Hoping to take my son to his 1st game this year, though might be tough with number 2 arriving.

My wife is far more rusted on Geelong supporter, her great grandfather was a trainer with the cats in the early 20th century and her whole family have been Geelong ever since.

Last edited:
What the kumbaya my load thread did not take off lol. what a surprise
Go be a dick in another thread, if people want to talk about there lives let them.
I came in here to have a brief read, not wanting to post myself but thought your post is genuinely just unnecessary.
Have a better day tomorrow sobercat

Hi All,

I have recently created a new account on BigFooty. I have for the last 11-years, since 2011, been posting as Mad_Catter. I changed my username to Issac Norm Smith after our GF win last year. I became a bit frustrated by some of the 'usuals' and their aggression, and I subsequently cancelled my account. I did so after 11-years - and in haste - which in hindsight was an error in judgement.

I have missed BigFooty; I have come to realise 99% of people on this board are just fantastic people and I have missed the engagement and discussion with you all. I'm not going to let the 'usuals' get to me this time - rather I will be using the ignore function and hopefully enjoying healthy discussion and debate from the wonderful people of this board.

A bit about me - I am married with 3 children under 5 (yes, you read correctly :p). I am also a public servant and completing a Law degree online. I have just commenced this in my late thirties, as I have always had an interest in this area. I will be quite busy but I wouldn't have it any other way. I have now for the first time in my life moved to a Mon to Fri job and I can actually use my Cats membership that I have had since 2008 much more regularly. We have reserved seats in the Players Stand.

I have followed the Cats all my life, for the best part of 40-years.

My favourite Cats memory:

The Scarlett toe-poke in the 2009 GF. I was at the game (I have been to '09, '11 and '22 GF's) and it was and likely always will be the most intense and stressful game I have ever been too.

The highlight for me last year, was seeing Chris Scott get the recognition he deserves. For mine, he was the story of the year. Seeing us continually transitioning our list on the run, defying the conventional and proven methods of rebuilding.

Seeing us have this success without having the luxury of top draft picks. Guys like Close and Atkins who were rookie picks. Miers @ P57, even Rohan, who despite his flaws, has added unbelivable value to our team for P61. Pick 61!! We don't win the QF without him and who knows what happens from there. Seeing Stanley become a premiership ruckman and Tuohy become just the second Irishmen to taste the ultimate were other highlights..

Incredible.

Hi All,

I have recently created a new account on BigFooty. I have for the last 11-years, since 2011, been posting as Mad_Catter. I changed my username to Issac Norm Smith after our GF win last year. I became a bit frustrated by some of the 'usuals' and their aggression, and I subsequently cancelled my account. I did so after 11-years - and in haste - which in hindsight was an error in judgement.

I have missed BigFooty; I have come to realise 99% of people on this board are just fantastic people and I have missed the engagement and discussion with you all. I'm not going to let the 'usuals' get to me this time - rather I will be using the ignore function and hopefully enjoying healthy discussion and debate from the wonderful people of this board.

A bit about me - I am married with 3 children under 5 (yes, you read correctly :p). I am also a public servant and completing a Law degree online. I have just commenced this in my late thirties, as I have always had an interest in this area. I will be quite busy but I wouldn't have it any other way. I have now for the first time in my life moved to a Mon to Fri job and I can actually use my Cats membership that I have had since 2008 much more regularly. We have reserved seats in the Players Stand.

The Scarlett toe-poke in the 2009 GF. I was at the game (I have been to '09, '11 and '22 GF's) and it was and likely always will be the most intense and stressful game I have ever been too.

The highlight for me last year, was seeing Chris Scott get the recognition he deserves. For mine, he was the story of the year. Seeing us continually transitioning our list on the run, defying the conventional and proven methods of rebuilding.

Seeing us have this success without having the luxury of top draft picks. Guys like Close and Atkins who were rookie picks. Miers @ P57, even Rohan, who despite his flaws, has added unbelivable value to our team for P61. Pick 61!! We don't win the QF without him and who knows what happens from there. Seeing Stanley become a premiership ruckman and Tuohy become just the second Irishmen to taste the ultimate were other highlights..

Incredible.
Wb, mad catter.

Started following the Cats in 64 after growing up following Melbourne in a Cats' family. Of course the Cats won in 63, and the Dees in 64 so I was thinking I would never support flag-winning Cats. Thankfully that changed.

Worked/lived in Geelong in the late 80's and 90's so got to training often, just to marvel at GAS. Got to do some work with the Club in early 2000's and met quite a few of the people and players.

I've been a CEO 4 or 5 times in various companies. Now doing a bit of consulting again, and I've travelled to much of Oz for work and just spent 12 months fixing up an aboriginal corp in remote NT over the last couple of years. Very interesting and challenging indeed. I play guitar and gig occassionally and have lots of muso friends.

Like many I get a bit tired of some of the BS on here but agree that the vast majority of posters are good dudes/gals. I enjoy the analysis and banter, much of which I do not take too seriously now, though have been known to flip it a bit in the past esp with oppo trolls.

Hi All,

Incredible.
Very late to see this, but what a soul-warming post. I was also at the Scarlett toe-poke grand final and alongside Ablett's 2007 prelim match winning goal - remains my highlight in person at a game. I wish I was at the 2011 and 2022 GFs, alas I enjoyed them 17,000 kms away! But they brought me the joy of home and all things Australian during my time abroad. Admittedly in 2022 following a period where I sometimes cursed the roller coaster ride ending in despair for near a decade (that now, thankfully, I can be grateful for).

At the risk of blowing my own trumpet (no risk at all, I know exactly what I am doing !!)
I am sure there is a good thread around here somewhere with a series of get to know you style interviews that some people may enjoy either re reading or reading for the first time!
:moustache:
:cool:

At the risk of blowing my own trumpet (no risk at all, I know exactly what I am doing !!)
I am sure there is a good thread around here somewhere with a series of get to know you style interviews that some people may enjoy either re reading or reading for the first time!
:moustache:
:cool:
I feel a zombiethread bump coming LOL

GO Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Went to my first game as a 6yo in 1962 so that makes just on 61 years as a rusted on Cats supporter.
Born is Essendon but I can thank my Pop for making me a Cat , much to the chagrin of my Bomber Father.
Used to go to all the local grounds plus a train ride to KP to watch us in the VFL all those years ago along with my Mum and Pop , super memories.
Saw many of the greats in action over the years - Farmer, Goggin, Wade , Newman, Marshall , Polinelli , Sharrock , Walker , Closter and was in Melbourne to see all of Seniors career - a very special highlight. the 2007+ era holds a very special place in my Cat highlights as did getting to know Buddha late in his playing career and when he was over here coaching. Man can he whack a golf ball !!

Moved to Perth in 1999 and whilst it's been amazing I definitely miss seeing the Team play live.
Was at 92, 94 & 95 GF's and came across for 2007 , 2011 & 2022 so very happy to have cancelled out the 3 losses with being there for the 3 wins.
My main sport has been basketball but I really enjoyed coaching Junior Footy from Under 9's through to Under 17's.
Son and daughter are Catters and my Saint supporting wife is almost over the line ;)
Love the game and am super proud of how great the GFC has become over the journey ...............

I feel a zombiethread bump coming LOL

GO Catters
Fwiw this is a great thread and it's genuinely fascinating to learn more about the people on the other side of the screen.

If anyone cares I've been semi regular here for far too long, bar a few gap years here or there where basically certain posters just annoyed the s**t out of me so I lost interest.. Now I'm older and wiser and are simply more choosey with when I post and who I interact with.

Life is too busy with a very busy full time job, partner that works a few nights a week and 3 kids at home to look after to get bogged down in misery.

Get to as many games as I can here in Geelong really, am quite lazy with travel to Melbourne and also it takes serious juggling with the better half's work and stuff to get to games properly... Add to that I used to be a fatter bastard then I started running basically to try beat a mates wife in a 10k run.. That was 5 years ago, I haven't looked back and ran my fist marathon last year and will be tacking the Melbourne Marathon again this year in October.
So between work, family, footy, running... It's a busy life

I also like to dabble in the occasional spot of fishing on the bird app 😂

Started following the Cats in 64 after growing up following Melbourne in a Cats' family. Of course the Cats won in 63, and the Dees in 64 so I was thinking I would never support flag-winning Cats. Thankfully that changed.

Worked/lived in Geelong in the late 80's and 90's so got to training often, just to marvel at GAS. Got to do some work with the Club in early 2000's and met quite a few of the people and players.

I've been a CEO 4 or 5 times in various companies. Now doing a bit of consulting again, and I've travelled to much of Oz for work and just spent 12 months fixing up an aboriginal corp in remote NT over the last couple of years. Very interesting and challenging indeed. I play guitar and gig occassionally and have lots of muso friends.

Like many I get a bit tired of some of the BS on here but agree that the vast majority of posters are good dudes/gals. I enjoy the analysis and banter, much of which I do not take too seriously now, though have been known to flip it a bit in the past esp with oppo trolls.

Excuse the intrusion, what mob were you working with mate? Cheers.

Fwiw this is a great thread and it's genuinely fascinating to learn more about the people on the other side of the screen.

If anyone cares I've been semi regular here for far too long, bar a few gap years here or there where basically certain posters just annoyed the s**t out of me so I lost interest.. Now I'm older and wiser and are simply more choosey with when I post and who I interact with.

Life is too busy with a very busy full time job, partner that works a few nights a week and 3 kids at home to look after to get bogged down in misery.

Get to as many games as I can here in Geelong really, am quite lazy with travel to Melbourne and also it takes serious juggling with the better half's work and stuff to get to games properly... Add to that I used to be a fatter bastard then I started running basically to try beat a mates wife in a 10k run.. That was 5 years ago, I haven't looked back and ran my fist marathon last year and will be tacking the Melbourne Marathon again this year in October.
So between work, family, footy, running... It's a busy life

I also like to dabble in the occasional spot of fishing on the bird app 😂
Do you beat your mate's wife at the 10k now?

Do you beat your mate's wife at the 10k now?
I did from the first event! It was absolutely just childish motivation, but it worked for me and kept me committed and focused and then a genuine found love of running has kept me going

Remove this Banner Ad

Back