Geelong Falcons

Remove this Banner Ad

ablett09

All Australian
Jan 22, 2010
melb
AFL Club
Geelong
i dont live in geelong, but from a glance it seems that the junior football development in geelong is just about the best in australia, more AFL draftees have come out of the falcons then any other team.

what makes the development so strong?

is this an advantage to us having them right under our noses knowing alot more about these players than other clubs do?

just about every falcon player we have drafted has gone on to become a quality player or looks promising

bartel/ablett/ling/scarlett/christensen/walker/hogan/

then to mention some of the big names to come out of their to other clubs such as hodge, maxwell, shaun higgins, jonathan brown

we have had over 90 drafted from the falcons since its establishment in 1992

quite outstanding, and to think this is all right under our noses must be at least a slight advantage at the very least

The OP has two different subjects really.

1,Falcons and why they have produced so may draftees?
2,Why have we done well with the Falcons draftees , so ie we must have inside info

Im not sure if they have produced more than anyone , but they may have a built advantage in the eyes of some recruiters because they have done well before. Not sure you would have to ask recruiters

I don't think we have an obsession with Falcons , we have a very good record with the Canons as well. Perhaps we may think a borderline player is better taken locally , but we have not gone past talent to take Falcons. And I don't think we get told anything that Turner would not tell any other club.

• Banned
The OP has two different subjects really.

1,Falcons and why they have produced so may draftees?
2,Why have we done well with the Falcons draftees , so ie we must have inside info

Im not sure if they have produced more than anyone , but they may have a built advantage in the eyes of some recruiters because they have done well before. Not sure you would have to ask recruiters

I don't think we have an obsession with Falcons , we have a very good record with the Canons as well. Perhaps we may think a borderline player is better taken locally , but we have not gone past talent to take Falcons. And I don't think we get told anything that Turner would not tell any other club.

they have, its been mentioned in a few articles and media outlets, couldnt give u the exact numbers and comparisons thought

more so my point with that, its just clearly a credit to the football culture and development in the districts of geelong, it clearly says something about the way footy is upheld and a part of the comunity, when you have on a constant basis more young elite draftees been bread in the town then anywhere else in australia

Re: falcons

They aren't "right under our noses".The Falcons have nothing to do with the GFC.They don't train at SS.

I've always wondered why the GFC doesn't have a closer relationship with the Falcons.

There was an interesting photo in the Hun earlier this year, 5 AFL Captains, all ex-Falcons (Ling, Ablett, Hodge, Brown and Maxwell*)

* least I think the fifth was Maxwell

The Falcons are a TAC team
Yes, I know that. I assume their success comes down to having access to a bigger pool of footballers than other TAC teams. The net is cast far and wide out to Colac and Warrnambool etc.

I've always wondered why the GFC doesn't have a closer relationship with the Falcons.

There was an interesting photo in the Hun earlier this year, 5 AFL Captains, all ex-Falcons (Ling, Ablett, Hodge, Brown and Maxwell*)

* least I think the fifth was Maxwell

Yeah Maxwell would've been the 5th

The zoning change in the last year or two. Ballarat know have the Warrnambool area, it did used to be Geelong hence why Brown and others played for Falcons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back