Geelong v Adelaide - Round 1 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Great game of footy tonight...loved it. Umpires let it go and didnt blow their whistels every 5 seconds and pay ticky touch stuff.

Cats will be around the mark and the crows will be better off for that... well done to both teams

Great game of footy tonight...loved it. Umpires let it go and didnt blow their whistels every 5 seconds and pay ticky touch stuff.

Cats will be around the mark and the crows will be better off for that... well done to both teams
Mostly loved the umpiring, but thought they went too far with a few, especially throws (mostly by the Crows) and pushes in the back (mostly by the Cats).

Love that they don't pay the tiggy touchwood ones, but they should still pay the actual frees.

WTF was the free against MacIntosh about, by the way? Pfffffttt! Illegal use of a fit ruckman by Geelong - free kick!

On the evidence so far, Ablett will have a little more competition for votes this year...

Still, you're probably right. Greatest crime in the history of AFL that he got stolen from the Cats, but at least we got Caddy out of the deal.

Les say he plays 20 games (conservative as he rarely is injured), he will dead set pick up 35+ votes- he gets 3 votes in losing sides! Selwood is good, but he isn't Ablett good in getting votes in losing sides. Actually think Stevie J is your best chance.

Les say he plays 20 games (conservative as he rarely is injured), he will dead set pick up 35+ votes- he gets 3 votes in losing sides! Selwood is good, but he isn't Ablett good in getting votes in losing sides. Actually think Stevie J is your best chance.
You do remember that Selwood lost by one single vote last year, right?

I agree SJ could be a dark horse this year. Polled pretty well last year considering his... strained... relationship with the umpires.

You do remember that Selwood lost by one single vote last year, right?

I agree SJ could be a dark horse this year. Polled pretty well last year considering his... strained... relationship with the umpires.

Yes, and I can't see Johnson having as bad a year, add Watson and if Adelaide do well Dangerfield. I just think nowadays it is easier to win in an average middle of the pack side than a top 4 side.

that intensity was eerily similar to Fremantle and the final against us last year. Crows just couldn't get the lucky breaks or bounces in the final quarter and Geelong capitalized the other way.
It's not overrating Geelong but they play like that, and they get back Otten, Lynch, Douglas and then Walker, they will beat anyone.

Port Adelaide's game last week was not to the same standard as tonight's game. Crows just need to replicate it and should come away with the win.

Couldnt disagree more. It was two teams tonight playing run and gun footy with almost no regard for defensive pressure at all.

We tried hard, but in the end we spent our petrol tickets too early trying to make up for our poor skills. Geelong were more skillful and cleaner around the contest, and once we gassed out they ran away with it in the end. We need some good players back, carried too many spuds tonight

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong did win 18 games last year and haven't really lost anyone who made much of an impact last year plus they now have a fit Hawkins and Varcoe

Still top 4 for me.

Agreed and have a better ruckman that they lacked last season- they are in the 4 with Hawthorn, Freo and Sydney

Geelong did win 18 games last year and haven't really lost anyone who made much of an impact last year plus they now have a fit Hawkins and Varcoe

Still top 4 for me.

I think Pods and Corey were reasonably big losses. Vardy also seemed like a big loss. But Brown played better than I expect him to, and, unlike last year, we do now have two decent ruckmen who are fit. It was a very positive sign when they both drifted forward to snag goals in the first quarter. A decent ruck division is something we haven't had since Ottens retired at the end of '11.

Still, definitely better to asses these things long-term.

Nobody does it as blatantly as Selwood though. Nobody gets as many free kicks from doing as Selwood does though. Just don't like it.
Nobody goes as hard consistently for the ball as Selwood does either.
Could the two possibly be related?

Couldnt disagree more. It was two teams tonight playing run and gun footy with almost no regard for defensive pressure at all.

How do you think last weeks game went then?

Port Adelaide conceded more points than what Geelong did tonight. Podsiadly doesn't play too many stinkers in a row so if he gets his 2-3 next week and they play as did tonight, Port won't be winning that game.

Only one of Selwood's free kicks was a genuine high tackle - I thought the umps were supposed to call play on when they ducked this year?
Well seeing as how Selwood has yet to duck since he started playing in 2007 the rule change was never going to effect him.
Something that anyone who knows how Selwood plays has been saying since the aFL said they were changing the rule.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back