Geelong v Adelaide - Round 1 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

What do you seriously expect when you make a stupid comment like you did about Mackie?

It was just an observation. He's got the body of a first year player, and I was simply wondering how that's even possible a decade into your AFL career. Must have avoided weight sessions like the plague over the years.

Christ people are overprotective and touchy when it comes to players. He's just a bloke who plays for the team you support. I doubt he's a personal friend of yours that you really need to defend.

Last edited:
Well I know one thing about footy and it's that you cant handball a goal. David Mckay is to slight and gets pushed around to easily,needs to bulk up a bit because in finals footy those arent the frames that win you games. J pod is there as a stop gap and will provide that contest until Tex gets back so I think some people are being a little over critical with him.

Loving having Betts down there hes definitely the spark weve been missing, I wish Danger would get a little more angry at times and dish out a bit of what he cops every game but its hard to fault the guy. Brodie smith was superb, as was DT but Crouch was a little rusty as expected and will be better for the run.
One or two less handballs and our game will be tweaked much better.

One thing that was great was the delivery to the forwards and also our tackles were sticking alot more. Bartell running around like an unregistered dog was very disappointing but in a game against a team like geelong you have to roll the dice but we were missing a hard tag on him in my opinion especially after the carnage he caused in the second quarter.

Any insight into why he's still got the body of a 12-year-old girl, after a decade in the AFL system?
Look at Fletcher. That bloke has been 2 decades in the game and still has the smallest body compared to most full-forwards. Size doesn't mean anything when you have a football brain

It was just an observation. He's got the body of a first year player, and I was simply wondering how that's even possible a decade into your AFL career. Must have avoided weight sessions like the plague over the years.
Yeah that's the point I guess, to me he's never wanted for strength or courage, plus he's a running half-back flanker in the Ken Hinkley sort of mould, not often expected to grapple with key forwards. Although he has done that from time to time. I'm sure against your average bloke he'd look quite large. Perhaps Cat's supporters sensitivities might come from more extreme Mackie abuse you hear around these parts - p00f, girl, not a real man etc. (not that you did that).

He was drafted at 74kg, so in body building terms perhaps you could say he's put on 12kg of lean muscle mass. Just can't see it I guess ;)

This thread should be called bitchfest. Has been a great game. I've enjoyed it. Both teams have played great footy.

Good observation frizzle.
Free kicks very rarely cost games, and yet so many bitch all the time about it, and probably will from this post.

For what its worth not a bad game, Adelaide took it right up to the Cats. I think their outs were far more costly.
Still its nice to start the season on the positive side.

But they will. As Chris Scott said in his presser last night, not many outside Geelong appreciate what Guthrie brings to the game. Last night gave a taste of why Guthrie is so highly rated down the highway

It's interesting (but not at all surprising) that the post you quoted was actually the first time I saw a non-Geelong supporter even mention Guthrie in this entire thread. I'm still optimistic that people will cotton on to how good he is eventually, even if he is never relevant in fantasy football.

In 2013 the top 10 contested ball winners (Selwood ranked 16th) averaged 1.22 frees a game, Selwood averaged 2.9 a game.

You lot are a jealous bunch aren't you? We took Caddy from your clutches, we took McIntosh off your hands, Brian Cook said "thanks but no thanks" and now the Cats win a game most of you thought they'd lose to kick off the 2014 season in style :)

Only player who comes close to Joel is Swallow, and that's via the free kick count.

Yeah that's the point I guess, to me he's never wanted for strength or courage, plus he's a running half-back flanker in the Ken Hinkley sort of mould, not often expected to grapple with key forwards. Although he has done that from time to time. I'm sure against your average bloke he'd look quite large. Perhaps Cat's supporters sensitivities might come from more extreme Mackie abuse you hear around these parts - p00f, girl, not a real man etc. (not that you did that).

He was drafted at 74kg, so in body building terms perhaps you could say he's put on 12kg of lean muscle mass. Just can't see it I guess ;)

he's quite tall though. what is he 6'3-4 in the old money? 74 kg is razor thin for someone of that height. someone of that height should be in 80-90kg range without working too hard.

It's interesting (but not at all surprising) that the post you quoted was actually the first time I saw a non-Geelong supporter even mention Guthrie in this entire thread. I'm still optimistic that people will cotton on to how good he is eventually, even if he is never relevant in fantasy football.

on the strength of that performance he will be very dt relevant. his opponent will score poorly.

but danger has been proven very taggable before. he's like chris judd in that way. even though he's an out and out gun it is possible to quell his influence somewhat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You lot are a jealous bunch aren't you? We took Caddy from your clutches, we took McIntosh off your hands, Brian Cook said "thanks but no thanks" and now the Cats win a game most of you thought they'd lose to kick off the 2014 season in style :)

Only player who comes close to Joel is Swallow, and that's via the free kick count.
Whatever you say bobby. Just using information to disprove the hypothesis that Joel Selwood's high free kick count has anything to do with how much contested ball he wins.

If by looked good you mean when he was being buried by Guthrie every time he touched the ball I agree. He's a top player, but was smashed last night. Very little influence.
I wasnt disagreeing on whether Adelaide may or may not win the Showdown. Whether 32 year old Podsiadly whos kicked 12 goals in his last 10 games is the match winner in the Showdown, I guess we'll wait and see. Crows will probably make the finals if they can keep their better players on the park.

I was disagreeing that the game was played in some uber tough finals like atmosphere, with Adelaide being the cause of it, when almost all their supporters are bemoaning their uncontested gameplan, their coach criticised their lack of intensity, they got smashed in tackles (2nd lowest for R1 so far), biggest tackle differential in a game so far, they lost contested possessions, they had the lowest contested possession count of any team in R1 so far, and their were significantly less stoppages in this game than any other in R1. It was intense in a frantic, high paced, end to end style game, but it was miles away from being some tough finals like intensity.

Your team isnt anywhere near as good as you think they are...you finished 8th and beat a bunch of kids last week

How many of the cats 2007 premiership team are still on their list?
Bartel, Selwood, Mackie, Stokes, SJ, Kelly, Enright. Thats it.

Slide my arse. Dip maybe….

GO Catters

Ducked - Shrugged - Whatever - if his movements cause the tackle to slip high, it should be play on -

right got it. Rule now is its the tackled player's fault the tackler is weak and can't stick the tackle. Cool move o_O

If they hit Selwood like Stokesy did those 2 times it would not be an issue. Harden up.

Go Catters

right got it. Rule now is its the tackled player's fault the tackler is weak and can't stick the tackle. Cool move o_O

If they hit Selwood like Stokesy did those 2 times it would not be an issue. Harden up.

Go Catters

Yeah noone slipped out of Stoke's spear tackles and they didn't give away a high free kick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back