List Mgmt. Geelong's interest in Travis Boak

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We won't need him in 2 years.

But I still don't get the 2 year deal.

I like Christensen but he isn't anywhere near Ablett at the same stage. Ablett had the potential to be a superstar with his little taps and smart play. Christensen will be a good little player but wont be a superstar.
Not so pessimistic about Bundy. Has had an injury plagued season.

What is this madness? Bundy is miles ahead of ablett at the same stage.

First 2 years.
Ablett: 34 games. 12.5 possies per game. 36 goals.
Bundy: 34 games 17.6 possies per game. 25 goals. 1 premiership.

First 2 years.

Agreed obviously IDK how anyone can't see that. However I doubt Bundy will ever reach the heights that Ablett has which there is no shame in. Still will be a very good player.

Don't know what crack you guys are smoking Christensen might be a better overall player than Ablett was at the same time but he isn't close to the potential. He doesn't have the size, the speed or the overhead marking strength of Ablett and wont dominate most players one on one. Ablett had the potential to be a super star it was just work rate. I'm not saying Christensen is a plodder either but very unlikely Ablett/Judd status type player.

Anyway back to Boak we do need an in and under player. Personally I'd be grabbing 1 or 2 guys from the draft with those attributes and developing them.

Would probably keep 2 or 3 of Stringer/Simpkin/Sheringham and playing them in that role until a kid goes past them (unless they excel).

Christensen will be decent, perhaps great. Ablett was the focus of taggers etc even back then right?

Anyway, Boak was great in the last quarter against the Tiges... really think we should go for him.

On ablett "back then" he was a light, low disposal small forward. He should potential to be a good small forward. People who think he was looking like an out and out champion are considering him as he is now.

On ablett "back then" he was a light, low disposal small forward. He should potential to be a good small forward. People who think he was looking like an out and out champion are considering him as he is now.
Exactly he was nothing even close to special for A LONG TIME.

Christensen will be decent, perhaps great. Ablett was the focus of taggers etc even back then right?

Anyway, Boak was great in the last quarter against the Tiges... really think we should go for him.
It couldn't be more abundantly clear that we have already gone for him, just ask the Port guys! The ball is in his court, come for Premierships or stay for a big pay packet, his choice!

It might be true he is set to sign with Port for $700K / annum, and if it is, it casts doubt on the guy's judgment - the fact he would commit to a club without a coach, a club that is not exactly financially flushed, and a club that isn't going to feature in September in the forseeable future. Do we want this guy?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It might be true he is set to sign with Port for $700K / annum, and if it is, it casts doubt on the guy's judgment - the fact he would commit to a club without a coach, a club that is not exactly financially flushed, and a club that isn't going to feature in September in the forseeable future. Do we want this guy?

Because he is wanting to be loyal to his first club he was drafted to, despite it being a dump of a joint with no finals footy in sight, he is a guy we dont want. I reckon if he is staying despit this, he is exactly the sort of bloke any club would love to have.

Fact remains Boak and his management are still tight lipped and have publicly committed to absolutely nothing. PA are insistent Boak will sign but I'm not believing anything until I hear it from the man himself (or his management.

Hard to make calls on Boaks judgement when he hasn't made a decision on anything yet.

So do we want him? Right now I'm saying definitely because he is a fantastic footballer. As far as his judgements and decisions well if he comes he's made a good call if he doesn't it doesn't matter because he won't be playing for us.

First 2 years.
Meaningless statistical drivel
I hope Bundy continues to improve and excel, but Ablett is a freak of a player, regardless of his first 2 years of stats. Cotchin may come close to some of Ablett's genius, but is still lacking essential polish in areas.
Ablett came into a struggling evolving team, Bundy entered a team on top of the pile, assured of the way to success, and fitted in accordingly.

Seriously.. How can anyone want to play for port? It's like voluntarily choosing to clean cow shit for a living
I reckon he and some of his mates are permanently scarred by the 119 experience, and to mix with the perpetrators of that heinous offence is just too spooky.

Over 3000 posts, for you guys sake I hope he heads to Geelong:eek:

It couldn't be more abundantly clear that we have already gone for him, just ask the Port guys! The ball is in his court, come for Premierships or stay for a big pay packet, his choice!

Rubbish.

There is something to be said for people that choose to stay and fight the fight.

Meaningless statistical drivel
I hope Bundy continues to improve and excel, but Ablett is a freak of a player, regardless of his first 2 years of stats. Cotchin may come close to some of Ablett's genius, but is still lacking essential polish in areas.
Ablett came into a struggling evolving team, Bundy entered a team on top of the pile, assured of the way to success, and fitted in accordingly.
The conversation was about his first two years... It's ridiculous to look back at Ablett's first two years and say he was always going to be a superstar. Just as it's ridiculous to measure anyone else against Ablett.

Rubbish.

There is something to be said for people that choose to stay and fight the fight.
If Port were going to offer the same money as we have, do you really think he would stay? I am of the opinion that the ONLY reason Travis would stay playing for Poort is for the extra money he will get as compensation for not moving back to his home state to be with his family whilst subsequently missing out on an opportunity to play for a club which isn't just around the corner from home, but also has had sustained success over a fair period of time now and which doesn't look to be slowing down any time soon. If you disagree, that's fine as everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it doesn't mean that it's rubbish.

He stays at Port and gets a $200K p.a. pay rise and doesn't have to work for the majority of September.

If he comes to the cattery he gets a pay cut and has to work longer hours, sometimes into October!!!

Makes a bit of sense really.

Hope he comes, would certainly fill a hole in the future but looking at the side on the weekend, if Smedts, Varcoe and Menzel were both fit and available and we had Boak in the mix, there's some pretty handy players not getting a game. We saw what that can do to players with the likes of Mummy, Laidler & Prismall moving on for the promise of more game time. Simpkin and more so Schroder showed how powerful they can be on todays efforts so there's plenty already at the cattery that will be striving to play alongside Joel in the guts for years to come.

Not so sure on blokes from other clubs that can't get games (Stevens, Toy ect). Let's not forget that you can draft or rookie mature aged players that might fit our needs (23-26 big bodied mid) and bank the other compo pick for next year either for draft or trade.

Because he is wanting to be loyal to his first club he was drafted to, despite it being a dump of a joint with no finals footy in sight, he is a guy we dont want. I reckon if he is staying despit this, he is exactly the sort of bloke any club would love to have.
Exactly how any Geelong players are on $700K?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back