Oppo Camp General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally think if you had a few joints you could not possibly run out onto an oval and play for two hours ... just my own personal experience ... so not performance enhancing at all ... in my view

There are multiple substances on the banned substance list that aren't performance-enhancing. There are reasons for it.

I am generally driven by logic. I can understand why some recreational drugs could give you a short-term edge on a game day. I am just baffled about why cannabis might on there.

Agree completely that if it's a banned substance he's an idiot and deserves the suspension coming his way. Just trying to figure out the 'why' of it all.

As stated here, while it's not always performance enhancing it can have that effect for some athletes therefore it's banned.

Why might marijuana and cannabinoids meet this criteria?

• Performance-enhancement: A common perception of marijuana is that its use impairs physical activity, including exercise performance. While the effects of marijuana can decrease hand-eye coordination and distort spatial perception, there are other effects that can be performance enhancing for some athletes and sport disciplines. Cannabis can cause muscle relaxation and reduce pain during post-workout recovery. It can also decrease anxiety and tension, resulting in better sport performance under pressure. In addition, cannabis can increase focus and risk-taking behaviors, allowing athletes to forget bad falls or previous trauma in sport, and push themselves past those fears in competition.

Surprise, surprise, surprise.
Their puritanical prohibitionist mindset at work again.

Eh - 11 states allow legal use of pot and 33 have medicinal usage legalised. Compare that to Australia where the debate would never get raised by either of the major parties.

So Willie Rioli has been allegedly found to have had cannabis in his system in the final against Essendon. Apparently it is a banned in-competition substance.

How on earth is cannabis in any way a performance enhancing substance? Genuinely curious - are there certain components that can aid an athlete?

Nope. Though it could explain why he was so relaxed and never hurried on the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm tipping he got blazed the night before the game in order to get a good sleep, or something along those lines. It would have remained in his system, and that's what they picked up in his sample.

So Willie Rioli has been allegedly found to have had cannabis in his system in the final against Essendon. Apparently it is a banned in-competition substance.

How on earth is cannabis in any way a performance enhancing substance? Genuinely curious - are there certain components that can aid an athlete?
Detectable for up to 28 days so really debatable whether any was “in system”

I am generally driven by logic. I can understand why some recreational drugs could give you a short-term edge on a game day. I am just baffled about why cannabis might on there.

Agree completely that if it's a banned substance he's an idiot and deserves the suspension coming his way. Just trying to figure out the 'why' of it all.

Sometimes the benefit or enhancement comes from a decrease in compromising responses.
In the NBA, many players who suffer either anxiety or emotional disorders use weed to sublimate a negative physical reaction and allow them to play in 'lesser stress'. Thus allowing better performance.
In NFL, well, that easy. Including the above issues, being able to reduce pain allows the athlete to go out and physically extend themselves where pain might normally pull them up, or have their minds conflicted and thus unable to react instinctually.
I've got another interesting one actually....I grew up around guns and the world of competitive shooting. Long family connection going generations and my 9th birthday present was an Olympic Air Rifle. Anyway.....
Shooting comes down to controlling breathing and heart rate to produce the least movement made by the body that takes your line off target. For years some of the elite guys used beta blockers to lower that response, but some others used cannabis for the same effect.

Anyway, I reckon the weed is an incredibly useful drug with varied benefits for our species.
Just needs regulation so that THC levels do not end up with the super strains now going round, and which overwhelms many of the positive aspects to it's judicial usage.

...Ugh, took me a long time to post the above and in that time much more succintly discussed in the linked to posting from US...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back