Get Merry for Sebi

Remove this Banner Ad

gungho

Club Legend
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Watched this guy for the first time when Fyfe a game for Peel in Leederville last year. He only played a half but it was enough for me to be full steam on the Sebi train.
Was anyone surprised he was named our best forward in the last intra-club game? Not me. Sebi has got that really rare combination of being a natural athlete with some pretty impressive football skills.
He can, for example, kick a goal from 55 metres. He's lightening quick. He's bloody agile. He marks the ball at it's highest trajectory, and that takes some defending when you've got a leap and are 2 metres tall. This guy is the sleeping giant hiding out that somehow went unnoticed by all other recruiters. Honestly, within a few years he might be our number 1 forward. He's that good. Trust me, his ceiling is huge.

Watched this guy for the first time when Fyfe a game for Peel in Leederville last year. He only played a half but it was enough for me to be full steam on the Sebi train.
Was anyone surprised he was named our best forward in the last intra-club game? Not me. Sebi has got that really rare combination of being a natural athlete with some pretty impressive football skills.
He can, for example, kick a goal from 55 metres. He's lightening quick. He's bloody agile. He marks the ball at it's highest trajectory, and that takes some defending when you've got a leap and are 2 metres tall. This guy is the sleeping giant hiding out that somehow went unnoticed by all other recruiters. Honestly, within a few years he might be our number 1 forward. He's that good. Trust me, his ceiling is huge.
Agreed, but Fyfe also showed (last year) what he needs to work on before he is AFL ready when he repeatedly moved him off the line of the ball with ease. Has his strength improved enough?

We all hope your call is spot on. I haven't seen enough of him this season to judge but it would be great for him and great for the club if he reaches the level you are projecting.

I’ve got a good feeling about Sebit. My prediction is that he will carve up the wafl and will end up playing 6-8 AFL games this year

Great call. I always see him talked about like he's a super raw, long term prospect. But he was among the leading WAFL goalkickers when we picked him up, so I don't think he's that far off.

I just struggle to see how he gets a game unless some shitty things happen. He's behind all of Amiss, Treacy, Fyfe and Tabs as somewhere between a KPF and mobile tall so several of them need to either be injured or have a significant form slump.

If Amiss and/or Treacy are playing WAFL all year they should be kicking at least 40 goals (closer to 50 IMO really) this year if they are as good as everyone says there are so where does that leave room for Sebit?

Seb doesn’t need to be playing AFL 2023. He needs to continue development in WAFL and show improvement. If he gets a game likely that we have suffered a few injuries.

His 2022 season was very disrupted. Yanked from East Perth mid-season and trying fit into a new team on the run. Suffered injuries, adjusted to different training loads and then trying to learn new game plans on the run. He will be better this year and another Pre-season look out.

I like him but a little more bulk will help. He is never going to be big strong athlete but further body development in professional environment will do him world of good.

I just struggle to see how he gets a game unless some shitty things happen. He's behind all of Amiss, Treacy, Fyfe and Tabs as somewhere between a KPF and mobile tall so several of them need to either be injured or have a significant form slump.

If Amiss and/or Treacy are playing WAFL all year they should be kicking at least 40 goals (closer to 50 IMO really) this year if they are as good as everyone says there are so where does that leave room for Sebit?

I don't view him as competing with those guys. One of the 4 x small forwards would ideally make way for a medium forward with genuine speed and agility. Even though Kuek is tall, his athleticism fits the bill and I see him competing with Sturt and Emmett for the medium forward role we desperately need. A bit more strength might help, but not sure he needs to bulk up to KPF levels of power/strength.

I don't view him as competing with those guys. One of the 4 x small forwards would ideally make way for a medium forward with genuine speed and agility. Even though Kuek is tall, his athleticism fits the bill and I see him competing with Sturt and Emmett for the medium forward role we desperately need. A bit more strength might help, but not sure he needs to bulk up to KPF levels of power/strength.
That's just not going to happen with how JL and co view the team though unless he can pressure as well as Freddy, Switta or Schultz (I can guarantee he's not pushing Walters out any time soon). Hell, he's also got to get past Bailey "The Wall" Banfield

That's just not going to happen with how JL and co view the team though unless he can pressure as well as Freddy, Switta or Schultz (I can guarantee he's not pushing Walters out any time soon). Hell, he's also got to get past Bailey "The Wall" Banfield

I agree with you in how it seems JL views the team. But at some point the penny needs to drop that no other good side plays so many dedicated small forwards. Most only play 2, or even 1. Often they have prodigious leaps (McCarthy, Cameron, Ryan, etc). Only Geelong play 3.

It's one thing to have pressure, but you also need to have ability in the air. Balance. Our balance is wrong with too many players with limited aerial ability. Despite all of their so-called pressure, we have one of the worst performing forward lines in the competition. I think we were ranked 2nd last for marks inside 50 per entry.

Switta is injury prone. Walters is getting old and soft tissue injuries could happen. Maybe that is where opportunities will arrive. If one of the 4 smalls is unavailable, we don't have to automatically go to Colyer or Henry (if not in the 22 on the wing). We can bring in a taller player (and not Banfield).

I agree with you in how it seems JL views the team. But at some point the penny needs to drop that no other good side plays so many dedicated small forwards. Most only play 2, or even 1. Often they have prodigious leaps (McCarthy, Cameron, Ryan, etc). Only Geelong play 3.

It's one thing to have pressure, but you also need to have ability in the air. Balance. Our balance is wrong with too many players with limited aerial ability. Despite all of their so-called pressure, we have one of the worst performing forward lines in the competition. I think we were ranked 2nd last for marks inside 50 per entry.

Switta is injury prone. Walters is getting old and soft tissue injuries could happen. Maybe that is where opportunities will arrive. If one of the 4 smalls is unavailable, we don't have to automatically go to Colyer or Henry (if not in the 22 on the wing). We can bring in a taller player (and not Banfield).
In a year or two we may be complaining about our excessive tall fleet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He reminds me of a young Noah Balta

Remove this Banner Ad

Back