Review Freo Get Stomped by GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

I disagree, having Darcy in leaves Jackson to play around 70/80% forward, where he has been doing damage.Also allows him to play as a mid from time to time.
Darcy would not have been monstered by Nankervis and Briggs. They are too strong in the body for Jackson. They, like Darcy does, worked Jackson under the ball.
Also Darcy in allows Treacy to play full time up forward, leaving our winning structure of Treacy, Amiss and Jackson.
We have suffered badly in the two week we have not had Darcy. He may not be our best footballer, but he is far and away our most important,as the last two weeks have shown.
I think it's more that adding Ablett, Judd and Carey to the team on the weekend wouldnt have made a difference because 90% of the team didnt get off the plane. I agree that Darcy is our most important player now

Seven year extension for Sean Darcy then.

I think it's more that adding Ablett, Judd and Carey to the team on the weekend wouldnt have made a difference because 90% of the team didnt get off the plane. I agree that Darcy is our most important player now
I agree that a load of players didn't turn up , but I still think, as has been the case in the last two weeks, Darcy in the team makes a huge difference. He makes other players stand taller an also gives the player withthe ball an out, someone to kick to.Whether he marks it or not doesn't matter,the ball comes to ground because he is seldom marked over in contests like that.It brings others intot he game.

I agree that a load of players didn't turn up , but I still think, as has been the case in the last two weeks, Darcy in the team makes a huge difference. He makes other players stand taller an also gives the player withthe ball an out, someone to kick to.Whether he marks it or not doesn't matter,the ball comes to ground because he is seldom marked over in contests like that.It brings others intot he game.
We win with him against Richmond, I dont doubt that

Derm pointed out one instance on SEN. Early in the game Coniglio had taken a mark. Brayshaw was on the mark. Everyone knew Coniglio was going to play on to pump it as deep inside 50 as he could. He did play on. Brayshaw didn't run to try and tackle him. He walked. There was no effort to put any pressure on the kick inside 50.

That seems like it was pretty symptomatic of our effort and pressure all game.

Derm pointed out one instance on SEN. Early in the game Coniglio had taken a mark. Brayshaw was on the mark. Everyone knew Coniglio was going to play on to pump it as deep inside 50 as he could. He did play on. Brayshaw didn't run to try and tackle him. He walked. There was no effort to put any pressure on the kick inside 50.

That seems like it was pretty symptomatic of our effort and pressure all game.
Yeah, I think it's a game where if we beat Richmond and dont * up the first 6 weeks of the year you just write it off as a week where the team were off. Every team has a week like that so I dont think that game means much in the grand scheme of things unless they repeat that effort against Essendon.

That's especially disappointing because we were nearly off the charts for the last month of footy prior.
I don't think they can do it every week and they certainly can't manage the teams with the big body mids. It's time to find second positions for Serong and Brayshaw so they can have a physical and mental break and we can have a more horses for courses midfield to suit what the opposition throw at us. Sick of losing games unnecessarily because teams just throw big bodies at us.

Does anyone actually think Sean Darcy is worth 10 goals?

"You're not even looking at the problem"

download.jpg

What did JLo do to adjust any of the midfield positioning?

Answer (and I do know this from mutiple sources): - nothing. No calls from the box, no messages to mids on the bench, no runner messages to mids on the ground. Nothing. Also no messages at training and no alternate positioning drills or mix ups of the positioning at training. Nothing. Nil. Nada.
Right on the money, Jlo the cardboard cut out watches the games but nothing registers in the brain. s**t scared to make a move. No clue, has some game plan the players have no idea about. Players play for a coach who has them, Saturdays performance is the type you see when a coach is on the way out. The kick ins clearly illustrate he has no idea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jlo the cardboard cut out watches the games but nothing registers in the brain. s**t scared to make a move.
Given we have the overall record we do over the last two years and the fact we start as badly as we do, what would satisfy you to convince you he does "make a move" or change things?
Saturdays performance is the type you see when a coach is on the way out.
I'd be pretty positive I can find multiple example of premiership coaches teams getting belted the year before they made top 4 or something the like.

Given we have the overall record we do over the last two years and the fact we start as badly as we do, what would satisfy you to convince you he does "make a move" or change things?

I'd be pretty positive I can find multiple example of premiership coaches teams getting belted the year before they made top 4 or something the like.
We may not have the cattle to be top four, we lack one or two "game breakers", damaging types who can hurt you. Our guys are mostly just gutsy hard working battlers. Frederick could help in this regard but he hates the contest, a sheep dog who runs around on the outside, goes missing for VERY long periods. Bolton destroyed us in this regard. Man Bolton up and we win. However, despite not having the cattle, getting flogged by GWS in that manner is totally unacceptable. If we have another effort like that JLo will be on shaky ground.

I would love to see some energy/movement from players NOT involved in forming the pack on the right back flank for kick ins. Run boys, run hard, create an option, we lack overhead marking capacity, most times the ball comes straight back in. It is NOT working. Simple, watch other teams do it!

Countless games we have been desperate to pinch a goal, nothing happening up forward in a tight game, no-one looking like taking a grab. Why not swing Cox or Ryan or Young forward to change it up and try and pinch one. No way, not JLo, how extreme. (may have tried it once after the horse had bolted)

On a side note, habits/mannerisms can form and become progressively detrimental to outcome, any chance someone may have a little chat to Jye Amiss and suggest his momentum in the run up (lack of) is not the secret to kicking goals from a bit of distance. That needs to be addressed quietly with him, a blind man could see it.

Well thats interesting that Sean Darcy is our most important player now.

I remember When Aaron Sandilands Was our most impirtant player. He was 20 years and 114 days when he had his deut game and 36 years and 254 days when he has his last AFL game.

Yet He only played 10 games in 2013 when we made the grand final. I would love Freo to have a modern Day Jonothan Griffin as a back up ruck now days.

We pretty much did but we traded him in the last trade period.
Yeah I know....Lloyd Meek.

Played 15 games in 5 seasons for freo between 2018-2022.

He was never a chance to play in 2018.

I wished he did get his debut game vs Port in the last round of 2019.

2020, corona Virus season. He should of got 1-5 AFL games at worst that year.

2021, played the 1st 4 games of the season and the last 5 games of the season,

2022, He Looked solid in his 6 games.

The really obvious one is Richmond in the final round of 2016 - lost by 100+ to Sydney.
Tigers added ingredients that were missing, and didn’t overpay.
Helps that Dusty was in his prime and later they got Lynch with FA.
That and they surrounded Hardwick with quality people.
Sure we could grow a pair, but is it in our DNA?

Tigers added ingredients that were missing, and didn’t overpay.
Helps that Dusty was in his prime and later they got Lynch with FA.
That and they surrounded Hardwick with quality people.
Sure we could grow a pair, but is it in our DNA?
We don't have to exactly copy their model, our list is completely different to theirs.

It's just pointing out that you can look an absolute mile off but actually be really close.

Things do tend to turn quickly in football. One key player crosses a threshold of strength or endurance during preseason and can now win those 50/50s, moving the game towards our goals more.

Suddenly the game is starting at half forward and our team can cheat off their men a bit more, get in more offensive positions, hurt the opposition more, make the opposition defend more so they are less able to hurt us the other way.

It can tip really fast.

Interesting observation.

Steven Dodd was an average player. Daniel Gilmore could of been something but multiple Injuries and concussions ended that.

Hughes wouldn't be the top 5 or even top 10 worst players in our history
Mate, he's not even in the worst 5 on the current list.

You're talking about a team that traded in Brendan Krummel and gave Dan Parker 25 games.

Hughes wouldn't make the bottom 100

There's a hell of a Flu going around at the moment - I just had a thought and am clinging to the possibility that the whole list had the Flu on Saturday. This is a great explanation for our complete lack of effort.

Gosh i hope our shitness can be explained by a bad case of the Flu - makes our crap effort so much easier to stomach

Remove this Banner Ad

Back