Review Freo Get Stomped by GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Although we were poor, we need give credit to gws. They seemed to beat us for speed all around the ground. Easy to make look like you not trying when you simply can't keep up or run ragged. That as well as costly turnovers or speed on ball ourselves compounded it

Last edited:

Rubbish. If Hughes is so great he can play the Ryan role, or we could swap the great and wonderous Banfield back there, or we could play Wilson, Walker, Aish or Cox in that role. Ryan is hardly irreplaceable.
I look back at freos back line when we made finals in 2012-15. It was the same but stable and consistent back 6. McPharlin as centre half back. Dawson at 198cm was full back.

Michael Johnson was 192-194 cm and played as a 3rd tall as a back pocket or even 2nd tall at CHB.

Then you had the smaller blokes in Duffield, Spurr and Ibbotson. Paul Duffield usually did the kick ins.

I always thought Nathan Wilson is similar to Paul Duffield. Small quick and a reliable kick

It can’t just be a marking thing though, Collingwood and Richmond don’t have what I would think of as some amazing aerial prowess but they run in waves and on angles that seem to open the whole thing up whether they mark it or not

It's not only an issue of the talls, it's just something that isn't coming out of their game enough. I also mentioned Sturt and Banfield not taking enough marks up the ground which is what would allow the overlap run.

I look back at freos back line when we made finals in 2012-15. It was the same but stable and consistent back 6. McPharlin as centre half back. Dawson at 198cm was full back.

Michael Johnson was 192-194 cm and played as a 3rd tall as a back pocket or even 2nd tall at CHB.

Then you had the smaller blokes in Duffield, Spurr and Ibbotson. Paul Duffield usually did the kick ins.

I always thought Nathan Wilson is similar to Paul Duffield. Small quick and a reliable kick
Hughes is worse than everyone player mentioned there. He's in the steven dodd, Daniel Gilmore tier.

I noticed Fyfe directing O'Driscoll in open play to cover his man attacking the loose ball, while he was trailing behind - resulting in the opposition wing being as loose as Fyfe on opposite sides of the contest and when the ball inevitably spilled outside it didn't go towards Fyfe.

No, JLo should grow up and get a proper coaching approach. Luke Ryan and Alex Pearce are not the problem. The one dimensional, inflexible and inappropriate coaching JLo is bringing to the table is the problem. No AFL head coach of so many games has ever, ever produced so many goal less or 1 goal quarters as JLo. His coaching is flawed, he has lost the key players and is intellectually bankrupt on a level only matched by Simpson, Voss and Bevo.
Surely this is a pisstake
A player has a hissy fit & ignores the coach?
Back to the WAFL I reckon
No single player should be above the team

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I am very interested to see how much of a difference Darcy makes to the contested stuff / clearance work.
I don't think it's Darcy (though obviously he'll help), I think it's structure. We got lulled into thinking we could play Jacko main ruck because of the Melbourne game, where he was awesome, but ultimately beat two rucks that he matches well on, and everyone else was on.

The issue we have is that Banfield and Fyfe are not good 3rd talls. They are both very good medium forwards as they overmatch most mid-sized defenders for either strength or mobility (I'd be interested in Banners' stats in this role vs 3rd tall).

Amiss is a jet, almost unstoppable 1vs1 and will probably be assigned the #1 guy. This leaves Jackson who is then a massive mismatch or vice versa, with Treacy, who happens to be a very good 3rd tall playing in that role. When we move away from that it isn't as good, on top of losing ground in the middle which basically double *s us.

Having said that, Reidy probably not ready, and Kuek is not Jackson so they went with the right team given the Richmond result. Unfortunately we were s**t. As with most very young sides (and we are), inconsistencies are one of the few consistent things you can rely on.

If Darcy not back this week, I'd like to see Reid given a run (a physical back up ruck is clearly important - would've killed for Meek the last two games) or Kuek and keep the three mobile talls look going. Back the biys to bounce back, sounds like this one stung for a lot of them.

PS - also highlights how important Aish is.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ryan and jlo were having a heated discussion at half time and half way through Ryan literally threw a hand up and walked off half way through what jlo was saying.
Would drop Ryan just for that.
He’s not covering himself in glory this season, he’s been poor. Allowing Ricciardi to kick 5 on him is nearly automatic dropping to Peel for 4 weeks.
Don’t need that s**t attitude at clubs

Hughes is worse than everyone player mentioned there. He's in the steven dodd, Daniel Gilmore tier.
Interesting observation.

Steven Dodd was an average player. Daniel Gilmore could of been something but multiple Injuries and concussions ended that.

Hughes wouldn't be the top 5 or even top 10 worst players in our history

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ryan and jlo were having a heated discussion at half time and half way through Ryan literally threw a hand up and walked off half way through what jlo was saying.
Would drop Ryan just for that.
He’s not covering himself in glory this season, he’s been poor. Allowing Ricciardi to kick 5 on him is nearly automatic dropping to Peel for 4 weeks.
Don’t need that s**t attitude at clubs

So I think I found this (1:55:55 on the kayo replay) and it doesn't look as bad as I was picturing.

They're walking and talking with Ryan looking a bit dejected. He does a little half shake of the head at the end but he doesn't suddenly walk off while JLo is talking to him, JLo just stops walking while Ryan keeps heading for the race.

Interesting observation.

Steven Dodd was an average player. Daniel Gilmore could of been something but multiple Injuries and concussions ended that.

Hughes is like a superstar compared to Phil Gilbert

Interesting observation.

Hughes isn’t even that bad.
He’s been good in covering positions this year and Chapman out means he’s been serviceable. Hardly the worst out of the 22.

Am I wrong in thinking that it was mostly effort that lost this game ?there was no intensity or second efforts ,the lads looked lazy and slow.Where was the on field leadership? I'm not convinced that Pierce is the right man to be captain

Hughes isn’t even that bad.
He’s been good in covering positions this year and Chapman out means he’s been serviceable. Hardly the worst out of the 22.
Hughes has performed his role. I’m glad his trial on the wing has ended. Not attacking enough for that role. When we moved him away from that against Brisbane - things improved with our ball movement.

Longmuir and his coaching team (who need a rocket after a terrible couple of week) was asked about Chapman in ABC (Sat morning). The question thrown up was moving Clark to the wing. JL said that Clark will stay off half back. He then said they will be looking at giving Chapman a go on the wing to end the year. I’d expect Chapman to start back at Peel on the wing and earn his way back through the wing.

If it makes that much difference, we don't have the right midfield.
tbf its a young as * midfield atm, going up against seasoned big bodies the last few weeks. tom green is a freak of nature and completely toyed with our boys, we need to get Johnson and Ras up to his level then we can do the same to others. brayshaw and serong as the mature players are unfortunately too small and slow to make a massive impact imo

might need to bring brodie back in presuming hes worked on his defensive acumen at peel

Although we were poor, we need give credit to gws. They seemed to beat us for speed all around the ground. Easy to make look like you not trying when you simply can't keep up or run ragged. That as well as costly turnovers or speed on ball ourselves compounded it
It's easy to have speed when your opponent kicks the ball straight to you in transition.

As much as it had to with structure the effort wasn’t there they wouldn’t of made much difference yesterday.
I disagree, having Darcy in leaves Jackson to play around 70/80% forward, where he has been doing damage.Also allows him to play as a mid from time to time.
Darcy would not have been monstered by Nankervis and Briggs. They are too strong in the body for Jackson. They, like Darcy does, worked Jackson under the ball.
Also Darcy in allows Treacy to play full time up forward, leaving our winning structure of Treacy, Amiss and Jackson.
We have suffered badly in the two week we have not had Darcy. He may not be our best footballer, but he is far and away our most important,as the last two weeks have shown.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back