Review Freo Get Stomped by GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Lachie Schultz known Ross hating poster on this board?

Yep, it is garbage - not what you wrote in your post at all, if you bother actually listening to the podcast and what Lachie actually says, that is totally different to what you posted.

Your Ross hate is right up there with your Sturt hate, just mindless obsessive hatred of individuals no matter what the truth is.

So Shooter was making it up, then?

As I said in the other post, what he said in the podcast isn't at all the same as what was posted in the thread (or multiple times elsewhere across the board by the core group of Ross hating posters). Not at all what he said, if you listen to the podcast.

If players aren't following structure instructions that is an absolute failure of coaching. If the coach isn't responding to that "failure to follow instructions" by taking immediate action then he is a failure as coach.

FWIW, I don't think the players are failing to follow "structure instructions" I think the game plan is abysmal and deficient, and the players can't follow it because it makes no sense and has no adjustments during the game.
I agree with the first bit. Unfortunately, inexperience is supposedly the reason. BS in my opinion.
Brodie was dropped for that reason but they appear to be more tolerant with the other two. Possibly because of age or more likely because they are in the long-term plans.

They regularly ignore structure or forget. Get drawn in, no cover of outlets and it needs to be re-enforced nearly every week.
I think our coaches were remiss in not teaching structures at the fall if the ball so we could more easily move the ball quickly up the line. That has been addressed but the players have already forgotten it.

Pretty much. Ibbo said on the Back Chat podcast that in a practice game against Adelaide Tom Lynch took a mark on a defensive exit that Ross thought Ibbo should have prevented and he didn't play again for 8 weeks.
And Ibbo also said that made him a better player and led to his best ever string of AFL form when Ross brought him back in to the side.

Your repeated partial quotes without any context except total Ross hate is just more and more dishonest misrepresentation of what players (both current and former) actually say in their full interviews. It is disgusting how the selective quotes keep being repeated in an echo chamber without proper context or full quotes from the actual discussion with the player.

Yep, it is garbage - not what you wrote in your post at all, if you bother actually listening to the podcast and what Lachie actually says, that is totally different to what you posted.

Your Ross hate is right up there with your Sturt hate, just mindless obsessive hatred of individuals no matter what the truth is.
You are a bit like that with Justin L. Ross is coaching again, go and have a look if you need a fix.

"Schultz literally lost all passion and drive for football because of Ross. He became terrified to make mistakes, and if you did one thing that pissed Ross off you would not been seen at AFL level for months."

The only thing I exaggerated here was the first part. But is that really so much different to "became really stale with myself, stale with my footy", "lost a lot of motivation" "Had no confidence" and not fully believing that he was good enough to play AFL football. I'd say its actually quite similar to what I wrote in my post.

And Ibbo also said that made him a better player and led to his best ever string of AFL form when Ross brought him back in to the side.

Your repeated partial quotes without any context except total Ross hate is just more and more dishonest misrepresentation of what players (both current and former) actually say in their full interviews. It is disgusting how the selective quotes keep being repeated in an echo chamber without proper context or full quotes from the actual discussion with the player.
It was very short lived.

Just because Ibbo got better doesn't change that Ross would drop you for months after a single mistake. The only reason they got better is because they knew if they made that mistake again they wouldn't be getting a game. I can guarantee you Ross would've dropped Sturt for several weeks for that handball alone.

The post I quoted was about being out of the team if Ross doesn't like something you did.

You are the one being selective.

"Schultz literally lost all passion and drive for football because of Ross. He became terrified to make mistakes, and if you did one thing that pissed Ross off you would not been seen at AFL level for months."

The only thing I exaggerated here was the first part. But is that really so much different to "became really stale with myself, stale with my footy", "lost a lot of motivation" "Had no confidence" and not fully believing that he was good enough to play AFL football. I'd say its actually quite similar to what I wrote in my post.
Langdon felt the same. Respected his strength but hated him.

Langdon felt the same. Respected his strength but hated him.
Yup I don't think anyone can deny that Ross was a very polarizing coach. It'll work for some players, like your Brayshaws, Fyfes, Neales, Walters. But some players don't react well to that type of "motivation."

Players have spoken about how one of JL's strengths is knowing what motivates players to perform better, how to delvier criticism etc in a way that works best for them. Some players need that nurturing.

Yup I don't think anyone can deny that Ross was a very polarizing coach.
If You Say So Reaction GIF by Identity

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yup I don't think anyone can deny that Ross was a very polarizing coach. It'll work for some players, like your Brayshaws, Fyfes, Neales, Walters. But some players don't react well to that type of "motivation."

Players have spoken about how one of JL's strengths is knowing what motivates players to perform better, how to delvier criticism etc in a way that works best for them. Some players need that nurturing.
I think the thing Justin is going to find difficult is how to get consistent performance out of players that are seen as undroppable. Clearly, some players are doing their own thing at times away from team structure but they are not seen as players that can be dropped, for whatever reason.

I think the thing Justin is going to find difficult is how to get consistent performance out of players that are seen as undroppable. Clearly, some players are doing their own thing at times away from team structure but they are not seen as players that can be dropped, for whatever reason.
Which players are these? (Apart from the obvious Banfield)

Schultz literally lost all passion and drive for football because of Ross.
Has Ross been visiting the club? I just wonder because Shultz seems to have lost any ability to play football in the last month or so.
Talk about someone undroppable. I'd prefer they brought Colyer in for him at this point.

Has Ross been visiting the club? I just wonder because Shultz seems to have lost any ability to play football in the last month or so.
Talk about someone undroppable. I'd prefer they brought Colyer in for him at this point.
There's a reason why Schultz isn't getting dropped. You can talk undroppable all you want but there's a reason why certain players aren't getting dropped and it's because they've had good seasons. It'll take a month of awful games to drop players guys like Schultz, Serong, Brayshaw, Young, and other b22 who have put together good seasons so far. That is the same for literally any teams best 22. Even today he had 17 touches and 7 marks.

1687020085639.png

Umm because he's a proven quality player that's been reliable in the past, the type of player you stick with until they find form again. I mean what's the odds that the 23rd best player on the list available is going to be better?

It is games like these I have to remind myself that young teams tend to go back and forth on the development scale and inconsistency is just a way of life.

Lets find the positives out of this season, back the young key forwards in, keep playing Johnson and try to find room for Erasmus, keep gaining experience in connection and maturity in how to deal with these lulls in form and confidence and hit the track and gym hard in the pre-season.

Much easier to do having slept on it I must admit and was definitely wallowing in it yesterday. But I'd rather do that and wake up with perspective than double and triple down on the talking points and engage in doom scrolling and group think using whatever cherry picked fallacy and means of intellectual dishonesty to continue to feel like s**t about it all in a vapid means to "say I was right about that player/coach/club".

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back