Review Freo Get Stomped by GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

A flu would explain Andy not chasing. That dude is unconditional so if he's not putting in it is because he can't.

If that is the case, I am glad JL didn't sook in the media about it like Chris Scott does.

I suspect that it happens a fair bit and is responsible for a lot of the completely lacklustre efforts teams dish up out of nowhere occasionally.

A flu would explain Andy not chasing. That dude is unconditional so if he's not putting in it is because he can't.

If that is the case, I am glad JL didn't sook in the media about it like Chris Scott does.

I suspect that it happens a fair bit and is responsible for a lot of the completely lacklustre efforts teams dish up out of nowhere occasionally.
Yeh no doubt flu or niggling injuries would hamper performance like in any work scenario, but more so where physical exertion is required. At same time, if he was really that sick, better had Erasmus in from start

Why does Pearce always cop so much s**t for his leadership every time we lose but our vice captains in the midfield are the biggest reason why we lost and you don’t see anyone questioning their leadership
They are just on training wheels really.

We may not have the cattle to be top four, we lack one or two "game breakers", damaging types who can hurt you. Our guys are mostly just gutsy hard working battlers. Frederick could help in this regard but he hates the contest, a sheep dog who runs around on the outside, goes missing for VERY long periods. Bolton destroyed us in this regard. Man Bolton up and we win. However, despite not having the cattle, getting flogged by GWS in that manner is totally unacceptable. If we have another effort like that JLo will be on shaky ground.

I would love to see some energy/movement from players NOT involved in forming the pack on the right back flank for kick ins. Run boys, run hard, create an option, we lack overhead marking capacity, most times the ball comes straight back in. It is NOT working. Simple, watch other teams do it!

Countless games we have been desperate to pinch a goal, nothing happening up forward in a tight game, no-one looking like taking a grab. Why not swing Cox or Ryan or Young forward to change it up and try and pinch one. No way, not JLo, how extreme. (may have tried it once after the horse had bolted)

On a side note, habits/mannerisms can form and become progressively detrimental to outcome, any chance someone may have a little chat to Jye Amiss and suggest his momentum in the run up (lack of) is not the secret to kicking goals from a bit of distance. That needs to be addressed quietly with him, a blind man could see it.
Not sure just how much footy, other than Fremantle you watch, but in pointing out how good Bolton was against us and having a crack at Longmuir, I would suggest that you conttact the other 17 clubs and tell them just how good Bolton is. He has torn every club one that the Tigers have played against, not just this season either.
In my opinion he is close to the best most consistant player in the comp.NO club has found a way to shut him down.

If that's the case, then why are people calling for serong or Brayshaw should of been captain instead of pearce
Beats me. But that is just my opinion. I don't know how they are viewed internally but considering their level of experience surely they are just learning the job. Fyfe said he took a while to work out his leadership style. Plenty of workplaces have junior managers that are understudies. Guess it just depends on whether they get limited or equal decision-making rights.

We may not have the cattle to be top four, we lack one or two "game breakers", damaging types who can hurt you. Our guys are mostly just gutsy hard working battlers. Frederick could help in this regard but he hates the contest, a sheep dog who runs around on the outside, goes missing for VERY long periods. Bolton destroyed us in this regard. Man Bolton up and we win. However, despite not having the cattle, getting flogged by GWS in that manner is totally unacceptable. If we have another effort like that JLo will be on shaky ground.

I would love to see some energy/movement from players NOT involved in forming the pack on the right back flank for kick ins. Run boys, run hard, create an option, we lack overhead marking capacity, most times the ball comes straight back in. It is NOT working. Simple, watch other teams do it!

Countless games we have been desperate to pinch a goal, nothing happening up forward in a tight game, no-one looking like taking a grab. Why not swing Cox or Ryan or Young forward to change it up and try and pinch one. No way, not JLo, how extreme. (may have tried it once after the horse had bolted)

On a side note, habits/mannerisms can form and become progressively detrimental to outcome, any chance someone may have a little chat to Jye Amiss and suggest his momentum in the run up (lack of) is not the secret to kicking goals from a bit of distance. That needs to be addressed quietly with him, a blind man could see it.
We've got an eddie expert over here...

Just a question, not a criticism.
Do we over rate our small forwards?
My concern is that they do not kick enough goals, I know the entire forward line a lot of games don't.
But looking at other teams, not all but a lot of the good teams have small forwards that kick mulitple golas on a regular basis.If not kicking goals, they make the back line of the opposition very nervous.Ours are not held in fear.

Last edited:
Just a question, not a criticism.
Do we over rate our small forwards?
My concern is that they do mnot kick enough goals, I know the entire forward line a lot of games don't.
But looking at other teams, not all but a lot of the good teams have small forwards that kick mulitple golas on a regular basis.If not kicking goals, they make the back line of the opposition very nervous.Ours are not held in fear.

Are we referring to total goals kicked by smalls out of team total? Or total of goals kicked compared to other teams small forwards?

Melbourne are a team where the talls mostly just bring the ball to ground so the smalls get involved more, Bulldogs to an extent too.

We don't rate highly on average goal assists from non key forwards, with Schultz our best there at 32nd right behind Izak Rankine (Tyler Brockman is 14th on this list by the way).

Schultz also rates our best for non key forwards average score involvements at 41st. (Tyler Brockman is 36th).

Are we referring to total goals kicked by smalls out of team total? Or total of goals kicked compared to other teams small forwards?

Melbourne are a team where the talls mostly just bring the ball to ground so the smalls get involved more, Bulldogs to an extent too.

We don't rate highly on average goal assists from non key forwards, with Schultz our best there at 32nd right behind Izak Rankine (Tyler Brockman is 14th on this list by the way).

Schultz also rates our best for non key forwards average score involvements at 41st. (Tyler Brockman is 36th).
Maybe I am jumping at shadows, and there are plenty of them around us at the moment, but we need Switta, Shoota Freddy to make the opposition scared of them.They don't get the respect I would like to see.

Maybe I am jumping at shadows, and there are plenty of them around us at the moment, but we need Switta, Shoota Freddy to make the opposition scared of them.They don't get the respect I would like to see.
I think they are adequate role players but we don’t have anyone under 195cm of genuine class that can really make things happen consistently like Walters or Ballas in their prime. One of them I think would make as big a difference as anyone in the medium to long term

I think they are adequate role players but we don’t have anyone under 195cm of genuine class that can really make things happen consistently like Walters or Ballas in their prime. One of them I think would make as big a difference as anyone in the medium to long term
yeah good call, switta has the agility to be that guy but has let himself down lately with his finishing, also doesnt get involved as much as we would need

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Walters is our only one, hence the opposition send one their best defenders to him every week.
Frederick can be damaging with his pace and good set shot conversion. We need to target him way more often though, as he’s frequently ignored when in space which allows defenders to sag off him and become 3rd man up wherever the ball is kicked.

Tholstrup may be that guy ;)

It's almost like the clubs refusal to spend high draft picks on goal kickers is coming back to bite us.

The constant requirement for pressure > goals is such a head scratcher. You know what stops the ball leaving your F50?

Putting it between the big sticks. There's no need to chase and tackle when the umpire is running it back to the centre square.

It's almost like the clubs refusal to spend high draft picks on goal kickers is coming back to bite us.

The constant requirement for pressure > goals is such a head scratcher. You know what stops the ball leaving your F50?

Putting it between the big sticks. There's no need to chase and tackle when the umpire is running it back to the centre square.
This is why you're not an AFL coach, kicking it through the sticks makes it leave the F50 every time. It's like the worst possible result, c'mon man think about what you say

Why does Pearce always cop so much s**t for his leadership every time we lose but our vice captains in the midfield are the biggest reason why we lost and you don’t see anyone questioning their leadership
Serong is having a career year and had 32 and a goal on the weekend

Brayshaw also had 29

I think their disposals on the weekend were garbage but you cant ping them on effort (not that I'm really blaming Moose anyway)

The rest of the midfield didn't show up for us, JOM, Fyfe, Johnno all didn't do much, Dogga was forced to ruck

Serong is having a career year and had 32 and a goal on the weekend

Brayshaw also had 29

I think their disposals on the weekend were garbage but you cant ping them on effort (not that I'm really blaming Moose anyway)

The rest of the midfield didn't show up for us, JOM, Fyfe, Johnno all didn't do much, Dogga was forced to ruck
Idk there were several moments in that game where Brayshaw opted not to tackle his opponent, which looked a lot like poor effort to me. And he's a guy that always gives 110% effort so it very much stood out.

I guess serong was fine.

But using this game as a reason for why Pearce shouldn't be captain, while naming Brayshaw as his replacement who showed even less effort and was a big part of the reason why Pearce looked so poor is very misplaced.

Idk there were several moments in that game where Brayshaw opted not to tackle his opponent, which looked a lot like poor effort to me. And he's a guy that always gives 110% effort so it very much stood out.

I guess serong was fine.

But using this game as a reason for why Pearce shouldn't be captain, while naming Brayshaw as his replacement who showed even less effort and was a big part of the reason why Pearce looked so poor is very misplaced.
Brayshaw probably was off but he still had a vintage Brayshaw chasedown iirc

That's good eh, how many years we been in the comp and still turning out crap, laughing stock. Adore that v GWS rubbish to your hearts content.
Called you an eddie expert ≠ my personal acceptance that it's ok - it means you've stated that if only they did what you said that the results would be different. This can also be considered as a simple and inaccurate description of a complex topic.

I guess serong was fine.

Good post. Common sense for a change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back