Phantom Draft Getgaff 2022 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Great effort. Be very interesting to see what Carlton do. They are trying to get another top 25 pick.

Will they go for a tall at 10 or a running player? If Phillipou or McKenzie is there I believe they will jump at them otherwise a Busslinger will be very much in play and I wouldn't rule out Keeler

We are keen on Hotton but 11 seems to early although I rate him higher than many others

Very even draft. Looking forward to it

Thanks for this great effort Getgaff. Two questions:

Are you planning write ups for your picks beyond 20?

Are you going to continue past the first two rounds of your phantom draft?

FWIW, as a Swans fan I'd be happy with Hustwaite but would prefer someone like Keeler or Allen to Hotton with our second pick.

Thanks for this great effort Getgaff. Two questions:

Are you planning write ups for your picks beyond 20?

Are you going to continue past the first two rounds of your phantom draft?

FWIW, as a Swans fan I'd be happy with Hustwaite but would prefer someone like Keeler or Allen to Hotton with our second pick.
Thanks Calli. Will probably save in depth write ups for first round picks and second round onwards where a club is taking its first pick like Adelaide, Port, Richmond, Fremantle and the like.

Appreciate the feedback on the second pick. My rationale was balancing an inside mid with a more outside or balanced leaner but I'll have a deep dive into the second and third rounds over the week and hopefully be completed by the weekend, time permitting, with accurate bid match points.

Gives me great food for thought with the likes of Keeler and Barnett still available at your second pick.

On Pixel 6a using BigFooty.com mobile app

My rationale is that we are reasonably well served for mids at the moment but we need more tall players. We don't have an abundance of talls, especially KPFs, and some of the ones we have haven't established themselves (Amartey, McLean, Gould, Melican). Plus Buddy, Reid and even Rampe are all getting near the end of their careers (breaks my heart to say so). We have gotten Paddy McCartin and Aaron Francis and in the last 12 months but we need more.

Conversely, outside of the GF team we have: Campbell, Sheldrick, Roberts and Corey Warner who are all developing mids waiting to get a run).

Even if not KPPs, I'm keen to get in other tall players like Hustwaite too.

PICK 21 - GWS: Lachlan Cowan
PICK 22 - WEST COAST: Darcy Jones
PICK 23 - ESSENDON F/S: Alwyn Davey Jr
PICK 24 - WESTERN BULLDOGS - Charlie Clarke
PICK 25 - NORTH MELBOURNE - Burgiel
PICK 26 - HAWTHORN: Keeler
PICK 27 - COLLINGWOOD: Barnett
PICK 28 - WEST COAST: Edward Allan
PICK 29 - COLLINGWOOD: Brayden George
PICK 30 - ADELAIDE F/S: Max Michalanney
PICK 31 - ST. KILDA: Max Gruzewski
PICK 32 - CARLTON: Jakob Ryan
PICK 33 - FREMANTLE: Jed Hagan
PICK 34 - GWS: Mitch Szybkowski
PICK 35 - ST. KILDA: Sam Gilbey
PICK 36 - PORT ADELAIDE: Ethan Phillips
PICK 37 - MELBOURNE: Nick Sadler

D'Aloia?

Last edited:
My rationale is that we are reasonably well served for mids at the moment but we need more tall players. We don't have an abundance of talls, especially KPFs, and some of the ones we have haven't established themselves (Amartey, McLean, Gould, Melican). Plus Buddy, Reid and even Rampe are all getting near the end of their careers (breaks my heart to say so). We have gotten Paddy McCartin and Aaron Francis and in the last 12 months but we need more.

Conversely, outside of the GF team we have: Campbell, Sheldrick, Roberts and Corey Warner who are all developing mids waiting to get a run).

I have Sydney in one of the mock drafts on the draft board, and am well aware Sydney need talls. But this isn't a great draft to be chasing talls, especially key forwards, and in some cases, just because a midfielder is tall, doesn't make him the best prospect for your team.

You have drafted a lot of young mids recently, but none really are that big body 6'1"-6'3", powerful beast type. Or the hybrid power forward/mid type, ala Petracca or Rayner.

I've neglected to take into account Naismith and Sinclair off season departures also.

Update will have a tall there

I've neglected to take into account Naismith and Sinclair off season departures also.

Update will have a tall there

I actually like the picks for Sydney. Whilst we might take a tall, both our recruiters have been adamant of best available. I am not against two smalls and a project tall at pick 42 (or whatever that becomes)

I reckon you’d be more then happy with those 4 picks, Barnett would be in the mix if they look outside WA
giphy.gif

For the interested parties I've updated my first 2 rounds of my mock draft yesterday.

Will hopefully have Round 3 up by mid this week and finalise the 4 rounds plus notes on any additional picks by next Sunday.

Feel free to leave your comments.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the interested parties I've updated my first 2 rounds of my mock draft yesterday.

Will hopefully have Round 3 up by mid this week and finalise the 4 rounds plus notes on any additional picks by next Sunday.

Feel free to leave your comments.
If Munkara doesn't get taken in the next 2 picks it's a dream draft for Essendon.

Most phantoms do it.

I really like Jones but replace him with Barnett or Keeler and that would be a good 4 picks.

Ginbey
Hewett
Barnett / Keeler
Allen
The do a pick swap for Kaleb Smith

Four kids with seriously fast wheels.
Watched a few Westies games this year and thought Steene was much better than Barnett even though he is a year older. Check out his tap in the game v nrth adelaide on you tube. Was the best tap by a ruckman to a rover I saw at any level this year

Bit of a review now that my four rounds are done. Interested to hear any feedback given I've broken down each club with how many picks are expected

ADELAIDE: Expected to take two picks in Michalaney and Dowling.

BRISBANE: Ashcroft and Fletcher are the kings of the draft crop for Brisbane and would see them into a deficit in 2023. Anything after them given they are slated to take 3 - 4 picks will be potentially a young key forward given McStay is out and Gunston is later in his career. Potentially Academy player Shadaeu Brain late also.

CARLTON: Hollands still seems to be the rage at their first but I'm still of the belief that nailing the key defender in Busslinger is more important. Round out their draft with Clarke, Bailey Macdonald and Binns and expected to take 4 picks.

COLLINGWOOD: Gone with talls for the Magpies 3 picks in Barnett, Gruzewski and Keeler.

ESSENDON: The first pick for Essendon still seems a choice between two of Tsatas and Phillipou. Brayden George, Davey and Munkara finishes there National Draft.

FREMANTLE: Picked out the best local talent with their four picks and haven't needed to use any points on NGA products. Smith, Gilbey and Hagan bring players out of transition and greater scoring options going inside 50. Free as the mature ruck man post Meek and Lobb.

GEELONG: Gone with 2 more inside leaning players in Clark and D'Aolia. D'Aolia the one who could potentially turn into something else Drury or Gallagher but it could be dependant on where Clark ends up also.

GOLD COAST: Humphrey, Van Es - The dynamic forward and midfield play of Humphrey before the key postion need of Van Es who is already powerful enough to play early if required but would benefit just as much from waiting behind Collins, Ballard and the like.

GWS: Cadman, Konstanty, Hustwaite, Hayes, Rowston, Madden - There 4 live picks are a mixed back between keys at each end, a small forward Bobby Hill replacement and a taller mid. Rounded out with matched bids on Rowsten and Madden.

HAWTHORN: Tsatas, Jakob Ryan, Sadler, Gillbee, Vickery - Three strong characters and players alike in Tsatas, Ryan and Sadler, Gillbee balances the inside work of Tsatas and Sadler with some outside and versatility. Finishing off their draft with the NGA pick Vickery

MELBOURNE: Jefferson, Magor - Young key forward for the post Brown and MacDonald era followed by a medium forward with plenty of x factor at the end of the second.

NORTH MELBOURNE: Sheezel, Wardlaw, Cowan, Cooper Harvey - The first 3 will be a pleasing sight for North with their live picks before a possible pick swap for matching a bid on Cooper Harvey later.

PORT ADELAIDE: Phillips, Foster - A youthful key forward / ruck in Foster paired with a mature key defender to play alongside Allir in Phillips. Phillips ready to go Round 1.

RICHMOND: Scully, Long - Tigers will be stoked to get Scully that late and add some speed through the midfield with there second.

ST. KILDA: Mackenzie, Lemmey, McCallum - Mackenzie to the Saints is a good start for them and finish off their expected 3 picks with talls at either end in Lemmey who has slid down draft boards and McCallum who has strong, competitive traits as a third tall.

SYDNEY: Allan, Hotton, Broadbent - Bit of a balance in Allan and Hotton before the ruck in Broadent. Allan as the taller midfielder who would replace JPK in the longer term, Hotton the outside/ inside and a young ruck in Broadbent.

WEST COAST: Ginbey, Hewett, Burgiel, Jones, Verrall - Speed, speed and more speed before the ruck plan in Verrall.

WESTERN BULLDOGS: Hollands, Weddle, Szybkowski - Little bit of everything in the Bulldogs 3 picks. Hollands I think is a really strong pick at their first, before the third tall/ verdatile defender in Weddle and the inside mid as almost a best available with Szybkowski who fills a Dunkley hole as a bigger bodied inside midifelder.

Players still available in positional but otherwise no particular order

KEY/ TALL BACKS

Jed Adams
Hugh Davies
Will Edwards SYDNEY ACADEMY
Brinn Little GOLD COAST ACADEMY
Josh Draper FREMANTLE NGA

GEN DEF

Luke Teal
Luke Michael
Nathan Barkla PORT ADELAIDE NGA
Jack Cleaver
Harvey Gallagher

RUCK

Max Knobel
Hudson O'Keefe
Cameron Owen
Oscar Steene
Harvey Howe

KEY/ TALL FWDS

Olivier Northam
Jasper Scaife FREMANTLE NGA
Jovan Petric

GEN/ SMALL FWD

Seth Campbell
Tyrell Dewar WEST COAST NGA
Shadeau Brain BRISBANE ACADEMY
Harry Cole
Jayden Davey ESSENDON F/S

MID / FWD

Jack Sullivan
Blake Drury
Archie Lovelock
Ted Clohesy

MIDFIELDERS

Kane Bevan
Blake Hansen
Kai Windsor
Jacob Evitt
Kobe Ryan
Hugh Bond
Conrad Williams FREMANTLE NGA

Bit of a review now that my four rounds are done. Interested to hear any feedback given I've broken down each club with how many picks are expected

ADELAIDE: Expected to take two picks in Michalaney and Dowling.

BRISBANE: Ashcroft and Fletcher are the kings of the draft crop for Brisbane and would see them into a deficit in 2023. Anything after them given they are slated to take 3 - 4 picks will be potentially a young key forward given McStay is out and Gunston is later in his career. Potentially Academy player Shadaeu Brain late also.

CARLTON: Hollands still seems to be the rage at their first but I'm still of the belief that nailing the key defender in Busslinger is more important. Round out their draft with Clarke, Bailey Macdonald and Binns and expected to take 4 picks.

COLLINGWOOD: Gone with talls for the Magpies 3 picks in Barnett, Gruzewski and Keeler.

ESSENDON: The first pick for Essendon still seems a choice between two of Tsatas and Phillipou. Brayden George, Davey and Munkara finishes there National Draft.

FREMANTLE: Picked out the best local talent with their four picks and haven't needed to use any points on NGA products. Smith, Gilbey and Hagan bring players out of transition and greater scoring options going inside 50. Free as the mature ruck man post Meek and Lobb.

GEELONG: Gone with 2 more inside leaning players in Clark and D'Aolia. D'Aolia the one who could potentially turn into something else Drury or Gallagher but it could be dependant on where Clark ends up also.

GOLD COAST: Humphrey, Van Es - The dynamic forward and midfield play of Humphrey before the key postion need of Van Es who is already powerful enough to play early if required but would benefit just as much from waiting behind Collins, Ballard and the like.

GWS: Cadman, Konstanty, Hustwaite, Hayes, Rowston, Madden - There 4 live picks are a mixed back between keys at each end, a small forward Bobby Hill replacement and a taller mid. Rounded out with matched bids on Rowsten and Madden.

HAWTHORN: Tsatas, Jakob Ryan, Sadler, Gillbee, Vickery - Three strong characters and players alike in Tsatas, Ryan and Sadler, Gillbee balances the inside work of Tsatas and Sadler with some outside and versatility. Finishing off their draft with the NGA pick Vickery

MELBOURNE: Jefferson, Magor - Young key forward for the post Brown and MacDonald era followed by a medium forward with plenty of x factor at the end of the second.

NORTH MELBOURNE: Sheezel, Wardlaw, Cowan, Cooper Harvey - The first 3 will be a pleasing sight for North with their live picks before a possible pick swap for matching a bid on Cooper Harvey later.

PORT ADELAIDE: Phillips, Foster - A youthful key forward / ruck in Foster paired with a mature key defender to play alongside Allir in Phillips. Phillips ready to go Round 1.

RICHMOND: Scully, Long - Tigers will be stoked to get Scully that late and add some speed through the midfield with there second.

ST. KILDA: Mackenzie, Lemmey, McCallum - Mackenzie to the Saints is a good start for them and finish off their expected 3 picks with talls at either end in Lemmey who has slid down draft boards and McCallum who has strong, competitive traits as a third tall.

SYDNEY: Allan, Hotton, Broadbent - Bit of a balance in Allan and Hotton before the ruck in Broadent. Allan as the taller midfielder who would replace JPK in the longer term, Hotton the outside/ inside and a young ruck in Broadbent.

WEST COAST: Ginbey, Hewett, Burgiel, Jones, Verrall - Speed, speed and more speed before the ruck plan in Verrall.

WESTERN BULLDOGS: Hollands, Weddle, Szybkowski - Little bit of everything in the Bulldogs 3 picks. Hollands I think is a really strong pick at their first, before the third tall/ verdatile defender in Weddle and the inside mid as almost a best available with Szybkowski who fills a Dunkley hole as a bigger bodied inside midifelder.
For the Hawks 3 hbfs, a winger and a late Pick inside mid wouldn't be the ideal draft as we have a surplus of small/medium defenders and we have Amon and Morrison on the wings, we also have the worst contested poss midfield in the league (tsatas has the worst cont poss % and doesn't tackle if you think he is an inside mid compounding our problems) and need forwards with the loss of Gunston and Breust on his last legs and other than Lewis, Moore and Breust there's no guarantee any others can kick over 30 goals let alone 50 or work out as really good defensive forwards, so depth in the inside mid or forward department would be the goal imo and maybe a kpf if there's one of interest late or maybe we'll take Lawrence as a rookie just incase he works out or Will McCabe as a kpf next year? Just some thoughts on our list strategy/draft strategy.

When it comes to Sydney, none of us, including Swans fans, have a blessed clue! Konstanty and Magor were our only picks I had heard of.

Good on you for your effort anyway Getgaff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back