Unofficial Preview GF Discussion v Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huge change to the structure for the pies before a grand final to swing Howe forward as the main target after he played really well in defence.

It’s Collingwood, and they play organised, system based footy, so they’ll make it work, but definitely shows how important Mcstay is.
Selection headache for sure. Tamper with a settled backline? In fixing a problem could they be creating a different problem?

Selection headache for sure. Tamper with a settled backline? In fixing a problem could they be creating a different problem?
They've already made whispers about Howe going forward and whilst it makes sense because he has a great leap to make up for their lack of height there I'm wondering whether it's not something they're letting slip so that the Lions start second guessing and planning for it.

Happens all the time in the lead up to big games.

So Gunston reportedly was available for selection for the prelim. Do the Lions bring in some experience up forward for the big dance?

Looking at who could make way there isnt many. A very tough selection.

Fletcher, Lyons, Dev or Ah chee are the only likely options based on positional needs.

Fletcher a first year player with how many games? Could be the unlucky one.

Ah chee looked very sore but played out the match.

🤣🤣🤣🤣 I assume you are on the West Coast game selection committee.

They've already made whispers about Howe going forward and whilst it makes sense because he has a great leap to make up for their lack of height there I'm wondering whether it's not something they're letting slip so that the Lions start second guessing and planning for it.

Happens all the time in the lead up to big games.
Yep, will be interesting. They could also just bring in Adams for McStay and play Cox and Cameron more in the forward line.

🤣🤣🤣🤣 I assume you are on the West Coast game selection committee.

I assume you are still on the turps celebrating. Fair enough.:thumbsu:

Fair discussion point I believed. Do you bring in a triple premiership forward to stretch the Pies defence and add another goal kicking option?

This is the exact reason Brisbane acquired Gunston, to add goal kicking options for a flag tilt.

Have the nerves started kicking in for anyone else yet?

I honestly thought the prelim euphoria would last longer for me. I’m stressed
Relax Brab.

I'm honestly very calm.

We're in with a terrific shot at this. I'm very confident we have the team to beat the Pies and on the big ground as the match unfolds we can run over the top of them.

But if we don't play well ,get stage fright or things just don't go our way they'll be there to fully capitalise. If that happens it's just a game of footy , if we're not good enough so be it. There's always next year.

The expectation of the unknown is always far more stressful than the actual situation that you feared unfolding.

Whether we win or lose everyone will deal with it. It's not essential to anyone's life that we win. But sure, it'd be nice.

Relax Brab.

I'm honestly very calm.

We're in with a terrific shot at this. I'm very confident we have the team to beat the Pies and on the big ground as the match unfolds we can run over the top of them.

But if we don't play well ,get stage fright or things just don't go our way they'll be there to fully capitalise. If that happens it's just a game of footy , if we're not good enough so be it. There's always next year.

The expectation of the unknown is always far more stressful than the actual situation that you feared unfolding.

Whether we win or lose everyone will deal with it. It's not essential to anyone's life that we win. But sure, it'd be nice.

Thanks Martinson I needed that this evening.

I assume you are still on the turps celebrating. Fair enough.:thumbsu:

Fair discussion point I believed. Do you bring in a triple premiership forward to stretch the Pies defence and add another goal kicking option?

This is the exact reason Brisbane acquired Gunston, to add goal kicking options for a flag tilt.
Gunston has turned in to a bit of a meme on our board. One of those team board boardisms.

So Gunston reportedly was available for selection for the prelim. Do the Lions bring in some experience up forward for the big dance?

Looking at who could make way there isnt many. A very tough selection.

Fletcher, Lyons, Dev or Ah chee are the only likely options based on positional needs.

Fletcher a first year player with how many games? Could be the unlucky one.

Ah chee looked very sore but played out the match.

80dce793f0e31f303d53d5cd01a8fc08.jpg

Either or - just need to engage early to avoid him jumping on people's heads. He's not much on a lead, which is where Lester or Gardiner struggle the most.
His actually a lead up forward. But if Howe goes forward his role is to play on Andrews and stop him intercepting

Would be awesome as hell and would really gee up the boys if Charlie kicks a goal and those attending get the country road song going even without the musix

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My first game of footy I watched was the 2004 GF (I wasn't a supporter at the time, that happened later in 2006) and I didn't understand the significance of how hard it was to reach the Big Dance, let alone 4 on the trot. I missed out on all the 'Golden Years' and never got to witness the greatness of Lions Juggernaunt in full flight, and my first 10 years as a Lions supporter was a roller coaster of optimism, disappointment, then apathy (in that order).

Over the years, I've thought back to this prophetic post of Warwick's and wondered how long we'd have to wait to have another crack at premiership glory:

How the hell would anyone know?

Every club thinks their young kids are going to take them to premiership glory. Every club has a "really bright future" due to <insert 10-12 kids in a list>.

I also think people are going a little over the top. I hope people aren't using the one win against West Coast as a pointer for instant success. Remember what Leigh Matthews said before the 2004 grand final - it may take a generation before we play on the last day in September again. He knows fully well how hard it's going to be to win another one. If you told Richmond in 1980 they wouldn't play in another grand final for 25+ years, they would think you were bonkers. As it happens they have only made the finals 3 or 4 times since then.

We have just won 3 in a row for goodness sake. That is just insane. If we win another flag in the next 20-30 years we will be very lucky. Ask a Geelong, Melbourne, St Kilda, or even Collingwood fan if they believed it would take so long.

I don't think we are going to have a legitimate shot for a very long time. We made a decision to top-up and keep our older players for a tilt in 03 and 04 - a decision that most sane supporters would support in a second. You don't get a chance to win a flag very often, so when you have a chance you should do everything you can to grab one. But because of this, our middle-aged group is very scarce. We have some absolute stars and some encouraging kids. Don't forget we are in the bottom 4 at the moment!! Let's just aim for our superstars to get a chance to play finals again first.

Saying that blokes like Sherman and Rischitelli will never be premiership players is just stupid. But thinking we are only 3 or 4 years away also looks highly optimistic. For blokes like Black and Power to win another one, we would need rapid improvement from our 21 and 22 year olds in the next couple of years.

I think our next chance will be when blokes like Clark, Adcock, and Sherman are 27-28, and (hopefully) our soon-to-be-drafted kids and players like Leuenberger are mid 20s. Brown, Black, and Power would be long gone.

But that's just guess work. There is a hell of a lot of water to go under the bridge first. We may trade to improve our middle tier group, our youngsters may not come on, we may make some stupid drafting errors. A week is a long time in football.

If I see another flag in the next 25 years, I will count myself extremely fortunate.

After all we've been through as a supporter base over the years since, I too count myself fortunate that the day has finally come, and I am ******* ecstatic! I rarely post on BF these days - much prefer reading/lurking - but I want to say you guys have great insights and valuable opinions, and your contributions have made the good times great and the bad times bearable.

Let's now enjoy this wonderful week whatever the result, and GO THE MIGHTY LIONS!

Lol.. Legitimate question. Mate you really have trust issues dont you.

You dissagree that Gunston was brought in for this exact reason. To help win a flag in his last two years?

Pies lost another tall. Are seriously short in defense. And a 3 time premiership kp forward is fighting for selection.

You dont believe Fagan and others are considering their options here?

Lol.. Legitimate question. Mate you really have trust issues dont you.

You dissagree that Gunston was brought in for this exact reason. To help win a flag in his last two years?

Pies lost another tall. Are seriously short in defense. And a 3 time premiership kp forward is fighting for selection.

You dont believe Fagan and others are considering their options here?
We lose the defensive structure of the team if Gunston comes in.
Has been a topic of conversation all year on this board.
It’s not like we are having trouble scoring at the moment without him there.
But we have added an extra element of forward pressure since he has been out of the team that we would lose if he plays.

We lose the defensive structure of the team if Gunston comes in.
Has been a topic of conversation all year on this board.
It’s not like we are having trouble scoring at the moment without him there.
But we have added an extra element of forward pressure since he has been out of the team that we would lose if he plays.

Fair.:thumbsu:

Ahh. That makes sense.

The new whipping boy?

I'll takemy discussion to the main board.
Not a whipping boy.
Just facts!
We defend better as a team when he is not there and we score more points as a result.
Hard to argue.

With McStay out and apparently having to consider throwing a non-forward player down there I think their structure will be compromised, if we can open it up I find it hard to see them outscoring us.
Reckon we have slightly more firepower, their defence slightly more solid. It's a classic 50/50 game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back