Gillon McLachlan's meeting with the Lions and the end of Holmes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like we're not far off an announcement.

Gold Coast Suns Chief Travis Auld quits to work at AFL as Brisbane continues search for boss

SUNS boss Travis Auld’s departure to the AFL will not have a bearing on Brisbane’s search for a CEO, with the Lions expected to make an announcement within a week.

Former Carlton CEO Swann and GWS chief operating officer Richard Griffiths are the Lions’ preferred candidates. Adelaide’s Stephen Trigg was also short-listed but it is understood he is not in the final two. Final presentations were made to the board last week.

Very much sounds like we have our guys. Swann is the preference and the job is his if he wants it, but he is weighing up options. In the mean time we've got our back up in Grif. We are waiting for Swann as he is our first preference, but he is now taking too long and our hand might be forced.

Im pretty happy with either option, but it's time to make an appointment. We need to get things happening so thry are in and settled for the off season.

Way to holiday Swanny! Doing a final presentation last week hey from where Spain?....
It's almost like the board are waiting for him to return to the country before making an announcement.

Why do we want Swann if he doesn't want us?? Looking for a better option while we continue to wait. I just don't like it.

If he doesn't want us, then why hasn't he withdrawn his name? Not sure of your logic here. o_O

Why do we want Swann if he doesn't want us?? Looking for a better option while we continue to wait. I just don't like it.

Assuming he was actually half-hearted about us, I understand this feeling.

As dlanod said above though, he could easily have ruled himself out. That being the case, there are a lot of lifestyle things he could be thinking about, like whether he wants to move his family interstate. It's hard to know his motivations exactly, but I don't think that spending time on the decision implies he would do a half-hearted job if we got him.

Personally I don't think people should get too caught up in the whole exploring options things and not absolutely wanting to be here. It doesn't make him any less competent in his job. Passion plays a role no doubt but its not the deciding factor in someone being able to run a club, far from it. Whatever process there has been to get there if he comes on board he'll do his job, regardless of passion and all that stuff.

Assuming he was actually half-hearted about us, I understand this feeling.

As dlanod said above though, he could easily have ruled himself out. That being the case, there are a lot of lifestyle things he could be thinking about, like whether he wants to move his family interstate. It's hard to know his motivations exactly, but I don't think that spending time on the decision implies he would do a half-hearted job if we got him.

Yeah, I've got no problem with Swann exploring other options. We need a stable, well-regarded administrator, not a passionate pro-Brisbane zealot.

But mostly what we need is a decision now. In fact I reckon we needed a decision months ago. We have key positions unfilled, and probably other positions filled by people who maybe aren't the best for the job, and we're at a point when young players are making decisions about their future. The club needs to make some very important structural decisions, particularly where it's going to be located.

Yeah, I've got no problem with Swann exploring other options. We need a stable, well-regarded administrator, not a passionate pro-Brisbane zealot.

But mostly what we need is a decision now. In fact I reckon we needed a decision months ago. We have key positions unfilled, and probably other positions filled by people who maybe aren't the best for the job, and we're at a point when young players are making decisions about their future. The club needs to make some very important structural decisions, particularly where it's going to be located.

This is exactly my concern. Without having heard anything definite about it, I get the sense that progress on facilities, appointments and list management stuff is all being hindered by this uncertainty. I know they have other staff filling roles and probably have the capacity to sign players up, but I can imagine the club being reticent to set off on a facilities and list management trajectory that could define the next 5-10 years without having their link to the cash-pipeline sorted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is striking the balance between holding out and settling for lesser options to make a quick decision. This is a very important appointment, and I think the club needs to wait to make sure they get the right option, rather than rush and settle just so they can make some decisions now.

Swann is returning to the accounting field. Was just announced in the AFR that he will be returning to KPMG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back