Gillon McLachlan's meeting with the Lions and the end of Holmes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Swann is returning to the accounting field. Was just announced in the AFR that he will be returning to KPMG.

Was Greg Swann at KPMG? Pretty sure he was a partner at Ernst and Young when they were overseeing the demise of Fitzroy.

Was Greg Swann at KPMG? Pretty sure he was a partner at Ernst and Young when they were overseeing the demise of Fitzroy.
Well good. He has history with us. OTL for sure.

Nothing new in that statement - The shafting of Fitzroy is a stain that the AFL will never clear. Great for the revisionists to declare it a mistake now but the damage has been done.

Well said.

Auld's appointment to the AFL doesn't look to adversely impact our own search for a CEO i.e. Swann or whoever choosing the Suns over the Lions:

CAREER sports administrator Andrew Travis is the firm favourite to replace departing Gold Coast CEO Travis Auld as the new Suns boss. Travis has been serving as Auld’s right-hand man as Chief Operating Officer at the Suns since 2010 and has been strongly urged by Gold Coast chairman John Witheriff to apply for the role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing new in that statement - The shafting of Fitzroy is a stain that the AFL will never clear. Great for the revisionists to declare it a mistake now but the damage has been done.

The worst part was that the AFL publicly stated that they were trying to help save Fitzroy but were actually plotting their demise behind closed doors. This is why I don't trust them.

Agreed MICKY, but the current Lions represent a different kettle of fish to older ones. More $$ at stake. Pretty much starts and ends there.

Yep Interesting listening to that radio interview in that article at about the 5.04 minute mark - Greg Swann when talking about how Fitroy was sold to Brisbane and he starts talking about irony and he says "the Irony is " but he doesn't finish the sentence he sort of trails off with "so yeah" almost like he was going to say "the irony is that I'm going to Brisbane to fix them". Either that or he lost his train of thought, but I agreed with Football Ball the olive branch was extended to the Fitzroy supporters.

Apparently he was, and on the Fitzroy board Roylion recently posted a surprising bit of commentary from Swann saying that Fitzroy could have been saved.

http://www.sen.com.au/display-article-2013/Fitzroy-could-

Yep Interesting listening to that radio interview in that article at about the 5.04 minute mark - Greg Swann when talking about how Fitroy was sold to Brisbane and he starts talking about irony and he says "the Irony is " but he doesn't finish the sentence he sort of trails off with "so yeah" almost like he was going to say "the irony is that I'm going to Brisbane to fix them". Either that or he lost his train of thought, but I agreed with Football Ball the olive branch was extended to the Fitzroy supporters.

Greg Swann got a couple of things wrong in that interview which concerns me slightly.

Michael Bowers, Tony Kelly and the like just didn't seem to understand that the Fitzroy Football Club still exists. That lack of understanding cost the Brisbane Lions a considerable amount of money.

I hope Greg Swann understands what the actual situation is.

Greg Swann got a couple of things wrong in that interview which concerns me slightly.

Michael Bowers, Tony Kelly and the like just didn't seem to understand that the Fitzroy Football Club still exists. That lack of understanding cost the Brisbane Lions a considerable amount of money.

I hope Greg Swann understands what the actual situation is.

I think he would mean their existence at AFL level or the existence of their sole AFL identity.

That is the consultant coming out in him - but be aware that Eddie and Gil are good friends and move in the same circles. How hard did the AFL look for a new CEO? Gil certainly had strong support from the establishment.

Yep..but it seems Gil has out trumped Eddie very nicely on the academies by appointing one of the expansion clubs CEO's... to a newly created position..."General Manager of Clubs and AFL Operations."...

Auld,.//., will have various responsibilities, including:
* co-ordinate across the AFL executive issues pertaining clubs, venues and fans;
* work with all clubs to improve strategy, structures, talent development, profitability and performance but specifically expansion clubs, and clubs receiving funding from club future fund;
* lead the execution of the competitive balance strategy;
* oversee the financial and commercial management and performance of the clubs to ensure financial viability;
* work with fans, clubs and venues to drive a first-class match day experience;
* work with venues on cost and accessibility issues.

story here

Or it could mean the opposite :cool:

Doubt it....Auld has been in the build of GC from the gecko..He'd be more inclined to see it prosper than elements of it disappear..

He speaks about the acadamies 3min 54secs in

Doubt it....Auld has been in the build of GC from the gecko..He'd be more inclined to see it prosper than elements of it disappear..

He speaks about the acadamies 3min 54secs in

Every chance Gill decides that clubs with an academy attached to them will have to pay overs to get those particular players & with Auld on board when it's announced, it can make the decision seem more legitimate since he's come from the GC :cool:

Every chance Gill decides that clubs with an academy attached to them will have to pay overs to get those particular players & with Auld on board when it's announced, it can make the decision seem more legitimate since he's come from the GC :cool:

Isn't the mooted model is that there's an independent panel that look at the value of each academy and father son prospect?...Proof will be in what the AFL view as independent..Gill reiterated again in Sydney on Wednesday that the academies and their AFL funding would stay...

Eddy has been making noises about the Northern academies to get other clubs to bid against them...Of course it wouldn't be anything to do with trying to fly under the radar their own 203cm father/son prospect Darcy Moore...A power forward who just happened to have missed two AIS/AFL Academy camps would it?...(Who, earlier this year has been declared by rival Melbourne Clubs that Moore is a top five prospect)...Collingwood are still to commit to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back