News GMHBA Stadium Stage 5 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course it's fine for members to come from everywhere. I've lived in Queensland my entire Cats-supporting life, and have purchased a H&A membership for many years now.

But the idea that the Geelong Football Club should ideally play any of its home games anywhere other than Geelong is nonsensical in my view. There are already too many clubs in Melbourne and our strongest future clearly lies in carving out our specific niche as a proudly regional club. Diluting that distinctive advantage in the interests of supposedly retaining members who can still get to games at Geelong if they actually choose to be there just seems an entirely unnecessary compromise to me.

And the really bizarre part of all this is that the Cats will still get multiple games at the 'G every single season, given clubs like the Pies and the Tigers play well over half their games there, and several other Melbourne clubs play home games there. So the Cats Melbourne-based fans who can't countenance travelling down to the Cattery to follow their team will still get the opportunity to watch the hoops close to home every single year. It's so straightforward to both play our home games at home and still see the boys run out on the 'G (and even at Marvel) often enough to 'satisfy' Melbourne-based members.

Let's do it, Catters...

#wearegeelong
#yesreally
#kpftw
#watchthecatsactuallyplayathome

Last edited:
Ill call all your levels of whinge... and I dont even live in the effing country and I have reserved seats at the ground. Players stand.. Top deck, front row under cover on the aisle.

Damn good seats if I may say so. Think ive sat there maybe 4 times in 6 years.

How stoopid am I right?!?!!

You reckon its hard to get to games...... mmhmm... got you covered.

Point is - we all support in our own way and do what we feel is best for us in supporting the club.

All members know where the home ground is and if they can get there.... and want to... they will IMO

Go Catters

The camera angle distorts things a bit, but the new stand is not only deeper and higher than the preceding stages but also has a more visual impact due to its greater bulk.
The southern end stands are more open and “see-through“ from the outside, whereas the lower half of the stadium, from this angle, with the white cladding has the feel of a solid building, not just a framework supporting tiers of seats, walkways and staircases.
Then, when you look at the top half you get this immense lattice of structural support for the soaring roof. It really has a presence about it!
I can’t wait to be able to walk around the whole ground when it is complete and really take it all in.

IMG_8356.JPG

Last edited:

Ill call all your levels of whinge... and I dont even live in the effing country and I have reserved seats at the ground. Players stand.. Top deck, front row under cover on the aisle.

How stoopid am I right?!?!!

You reckon its hard to get to games...... mmhmm... got you covered.

Point is - we all support in our own way and do what we feel is best for us in supporting the club.

All members know where the home ground is and if they can get there.... and want to... they will IMO

Go Catters

Exactly my point. We support the club in our own way but bottom line is we are Geelong. Our home ground is in Geelong. We are unique to the afl being a regional club in a national competition. That should be embraced. Our home games should be played in Geelong. Stuff Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond, etc. I guarantee if Victoria Park, Windy Hill or Punt Road still existed in the same capacity as GMHBA Stadium, we would be playing there despite us having 80,000+ members.

Exactly my point. We support the club in our own way but bottom line is we are Geelong. Our home ground is in Geelong. We are unique to the afl being a regional club in a national competition. That should be embraced. Our home games should be played in Geelong. Stuff Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond, etc. I guarantee if Victoria Park, Windy Hill or Punt Road still existed in the same capacity as GMHBA Stadium, we would be playing there despite us having 80,000+ members.
Might be wrong but I think years ago When Costa and Cook were in charge they actually PREFERRED home games at the MCG for purely financial reasons.

1. So Geelong supporters who live in Melbourne can get to games.
And
2. For more TV exposure during prime time.

Dont like it myself either but thats the thinking behind it. In no other football code do teams switch home grounds for buisness reasons. Just think of it the same as Hawthorn playing games in tassie

And
2. For more TV exposure during prime time
Having guaranteed Melbourne games helped us sign on more members. The pies have a deal with the MCC for five guaranteed away games at the G every year. If we had the same, would we need to play any home games there? (Financially a game at KP makes more than the G for the club)

We now have lights. They can schedule our home games on a Friday night which they couldnt before when Cook and Carter first took control

Might be wrong but I think years ago When Costa and Cook were in charge they actually PREFERRED home games at the MCG for purely financial reasons.

And
2. For more TV exposure during prime time.

Dont like it myself either but thats the thinking behind it. In no other football code do teams switch home grounds for buisness reasons. Just think of it the same as Hawthorn playing games in tassie

Except that we lose money on Melbourne based home games

Obviously numbers change over time, but the break even figure for MCG home games is around the 60k -> 65k mark

We need over 80k in attendance to make MCG home games financial viable, and that just doesn't occur regularly enough

We are much better off financially with home matches at our home ground

As for the other points - point 1 maybe do. But with point 2, the addition of lights at KP would assist in TV exposure & prime time games, so not sure we really need the MCG for that purpose

Obviously numbers change over time, but the break even figure for MCG home games is around the 60k -> 65k mark

We need over 80k in attendance to make MCG home games financial viable, and that just doesn't occur regularly enough

As for the other points - point 1 maybe do. But with point 2, the addition of lights at KP would assist in TV exposure & prime time games, so not sure we really need the MCG for that purpose

Couldnt be bothered debating it - but when the late Ron Hovey was President - and Malcolm Blight was coaching - so around 89 - thats when games got transferred to the MCG - and i can remember the Ess one early in the season was one of those and about 80000 turned up - and back then it was a financial windfall for the Club - i know things have changed - but back then it was - so that was the start of games being transferred

And now it should be put up or shut up - alah - all these renovations - are you finally going to get a ground which holds 40k

And even before these latest massive renovations - Geel for some reason never got anywhere near capacity for any game - why was that

It would be interesting - what has been the biggest crowd at KP In say the last 10 years - and on that day or night what was the ground capacity

I dont even live in the effing country and I have reserved seats at the ground. Players stand.. Top deck, front row under cover on the aisle.

Geel for some reason never got anywhere near capacity for any game - why was that
hmmmmmm

I’m a member of over 30 years. 15 of those years I’ve lived 6 hours from Geelong after moving for work. I’m not a member so I can attend games. I’m a member to support the club I love. If 11 home games in Geelong at OUR home ground means a better chance of team success then I couldn’t give a stuff if most our members are outside Geelong. If there was a chance (obviously would never happen!) to play a grand final at the MCG or in Geelong would you still want it played at the G because there are more members in Melbourne or in Geelong where we have a better chance of winning? I just believe we are Geelong and shouldn’t be grouped with the 8 other Victorian clubs when it suits the AFL to do so. Funny the “Victorian final” only became a thing when we were successful and pushing for finals in Geelong.
That is one point of view.

Lose money compared to KP games yes, but don't lose money like we did at Docklands.

Breakeven is a bit lower than 65k, closer to 35-40k. MCG makes the same as KP at full capacity when the G reaches ~85k, anything above that is extra, but cats get guaranteed full house (ticket sales anyway) from every home game compared to the unknown of an MCG game, none of which can regularly draw 75k let alone 85k.

Your last point is the truth, we're also much better off being a Geelong based club. I live in Melbourne now, but I'd never expect a home game to be moved up the highway for my benefit. I love coming down to KP and getting that home crowd. Just not the same at the G.

Getting 65k at the g vs 35k at KP…
Seems obvious which is easier to obtain at least from a purely economic sense

Go Catters

My seats are available for resale every week I don’t use them and they sell regularly.
I take your point but I try and ensure they are used

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldnt be bothered debating it - but when the late Ron Hovey was President - and Malcolm Blight was coaching - so around 89 - thats when games got transferred to the MCG - and i can remember the Ess one early in the season was one of those and about 80000 turned up - and back then it was a financial windfall for the Club - i know things have changed - but back then it was - so that was the start of games being transferred

And now it should be put up or shut up - alah - all these renovations - are you finally going to get a ground which holds 40k

And even before these latest massive renovations - Geel for some reason never got anywhere near capacity for any game - why was that

It would be interesting - what has been the biggest crowd at KP In say the last 10 years - and on that day or night what was the ground capacity

Remember that game well. One of the rare times the top of the old Ponsford Stand was full. There was a fenced off area up there that never got opened. It did that day. People streaming in during the first quarter.

Remember that game well. One of the rare times the top of the old Ponsford Stand was full. There was a fenced off area up there that never got opened. It did that day. People streaming in during the first quarter.

And best of all - Geelong won easily - and then not long after that match - there was the Collingwood game at the MCG - with Abletts famous goal - and Geel again winning by about 10 goals

I heard that a full house of 40,000 folks in the joint will bring in $1.2+million per game.
11 games x 1.2 = 13 plus million profit.
If so, well done to the club.
Our facilities will be first class.
Our stadium a unique fortress.
#40ThousandStrong
#11HomeGamesInGeelong
Fook we have really come a long way since my days of standing on the muddy slopes down the City end goals.
Go Catters!

Correct. Easter Monday 1989. The crowd was over 87,000. Absolutely jampacked. Couldn't move.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back