Gold Coast List Squeeze

Remove this Banner Ad

Just saw this article on the afl website in regards to the Suns having to move on a few players to keep within the AFL Guidelines for expansion clubs.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/137862/default.aspx

They have obviously mentioned Caddy as a player who may want to leave but we all know Essendon are all over that, the player that interests me the most is Trent McKenzie (contracted till the end of 2013). The article states he is a Victorian boy and the Suns can move on contracted players.

Would McKenzie be someone we should look at trying to get across? Has a booming left foot, pace to burn and decent size for a kid.

I have rated this kid pretty highly from the start and I reckon he could even play that medium Half Forward role slotting goals from 60m if not needed at half back.

The suns probably wouldnt let him go regardless, but if they were open to talks, what would we be prepared to offer up?

I don't care if Essendon think they have dibs on Caddy, we should look at him good and hard. They will be using their first round draft pick on Daniher, which will open the door to others.

I've noticed McKenzie miss a few games this year, not sure if it's injury or form. Yes he'd be a nice addition, but first impressions are that they'd be crazy to let him go. But there may be more than meets the eye to this one.

With all this (crazy) talk of Ablett being selfish and stifling development of the Suns' youngsters I think we should target him. :)

They need to cut 8-9 players which they can easily do, and will want to do considering they will be from the many kids they took who haven't come on. Here are some that are on their list...Gillbee, Hutchins, Allen, Hine, Nicholls, Taylor, Moss, Tape, Hickey. Heard of any of them?? Maybe Tape who I don't rate.

I am not sure where the QLD special picks they get are in the whole scheme of things at the end of the year, and the 17 year old picks they took in 2010...but if these kids aren't looking like coming on, on top of the underchievers I believe which you may have heard of Weller/Toy and Fraser who has served his purpose (useful life), and you can see there is no way they will be looking to trade any player who is best 22 or close to it. Unless you want to pay overs by a large margin. They are forced to cut their list, but it isn't because of salary cap issues...the good players WILL stay, and there are plenty of average players they will be looking to offload and trying to get 'something' for them. Happy to trade Jackson for a kid who may be late developer!! Toy would be one I would trade for though...and don't think Jackson would get it done.

Yeah they'll be able to cut out duds or trade off players for fair compensation at this point. It's when their salary cap comes back to the rest of the competition that they'll be ripe for the picking.

Bummers will snag the Shack. Hope we get a Toy for Xmas.:thumbsu:

Rich pickings this year and next, can't afford to get ahead of ourselves à la the the Wallace "locked and loaded" approach and think we only need to make minimum cuts and go into the draft with minimum picks IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The players to look at are the more under developed ones who havnt shown much yet and with an entire list of developing players GC can't wait for them.

Taylor Hines and Nicholls could come good and would be cheap. Would much prefer to give them 2 years on the rookie list than Verrier and the other one can have the irish blokes spot

Also Flanagan is a tall mid, similar to goddard in style that is slowly but surely filling out and looks to have the skills needed

Josh Caddy , Josh Toy & Nicholls ....................... That is all

Caddy is the Jewell in the crown, I'm 100% sure this kid is Tanking this year, He is Capable of so much more.

Offer the kid $1 million over 3 years & get him into Puntroad, Playing alongside
Riewoldt,Martin,Foley,Delidio,Cotchin,Conca,Rance,Ellis,Newman,Batchelor,Griffiths,Grimes,Astbury,Morris.

How the F*** Can he Say No

They need to cut 8-9 players which they can easily do, and will want to do considering they will be from the many kids they took who haven't come on. Here are some that are on their list...Gillbee, Hutchins, Allen, Hine, Nicholls, Taylor, Moss, Tape, Hickey. Heard of any of them?? Maybe Tape who I don't rate.

I am not sure where the QLD special picks they get are in the whole scheme of things at the end of the year, and the 17 year old picks they took in 2010...but if these kids aren't looking like coming on, on top of the underchievers I believe which you may have heard of Weller/Toy and Fraser who has served his purpose (useful life), and you can see there is no way they will be looking to trade any player who is best 22 or close to it. Unless you want to pay overs by a large margin. They are forced to cut their list, but it isn't because of salary cap issues...the good players WILL stay, and there are plenty of average players they will be looking to offload and trying to get 'something' for them. Happy to trade Jackson for a kid who may be late developer!! Toy would be one I would trade for though...and don't think Jackson would get it done.
We're stuck with Jackson. No one will want him. Up to him to work harder on his game and play effectively to his limitations which he still refuses to do but is getting better inhabiting a defensive role.

Gillbee, Hutchins, Allen, Hine, Nicholls, Taylor, Moss, Tape, Hickey. Heard of any of them?? Maybe Tape who I don't rate.
Hickey would be nice! Even Nicholls - who seems to be a little further behind - would be worth a spot as a developing ruck... take them both, and cut Derrickx and Graham.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back