AFL Grand Final Grand Final 2021 - Melbourne vs Western Bulldogs - Sat, Sept 25 - 5:15pm AWST / 7:15pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a feeling we'll watch this game then think "We could've won this game"
Around July, yes, never in September.
Don't agonise over that. We are not a team that can handle 25 games a season with our current list

In 2016 you lost to the swans by 37 points in the prelim who lost the dogs in the final 🤔
We had a good record against the Dogs in 2016, winning by 57 points in Rd 13 and 25 points in Rd 19.

We lost to the Swans by 38 points in Rd 16, and then again to them by 37 in the PF. We tend to struggle a bit against the Swans over the years for some reason. But we had your number in 2016.

The Swans meanwhile went into the GF having lost to your team at the SCG by 4 points in Rd 15.

Had we beaten the Swans (not likely with our form against them) we would go into a GF on a 9 game winning streak, we would have beaten strong teams in Sydney and Hawks to get there, and would be playing a team we comfortably beat twice during the season and had the right player match ups to win.

So while you might have still won the 2016 flag, it absolutely wouldn't be a foregone conclusion that you beat Geelong because odds would have been more against you V Geelong than they were V Sydney.

I thought I had no skin in the game here, but on reflection, I want dogs to win because I think Melbourne will become like the tigers, with long suppressed arrogant supporters crawling out from under rocks to gloat and expect a dynasty.
Doggies fans, although undeniably feral, seem to have a grip on the transient nature of finals success.

I thought I had no skin in the game here, but on reflection, I want dogs to win because I think Melbourne will become like the tigers, with long suppressed arrogant supporters crawling out from under rocks to gloat and expect a dynasty.
Doggies fans, although undeniably feral, seem to have a grip on the transient nature of finals success.
Honestly feels like the PF in the media this week. All about how the NS is going to Gawn, how its Melbournes fairytale GF, 57 years, etc.

Zero humility from their supporters in the online circles I am in. Hope they lose this year and get a redemption arc next year. Riewoldt on On The Couch just about asking Jones how he will feel WHEN Melbourne win the flag without him.

Now listen here my good man....Demon supporters dont crawl out from under rocks...from their morning crumpet perhaps, or their glass of Sav Blanc and tray of brie
but certainly NOT from some rock....

Nah they're more likely to come out of the kitchen with a new cheese platter.

Dogs to bounce out early given their match hardening, and Melb had virtually no competition from Cats (unfortunately) which never bodes well going into a GF. I think after Dogs get out to a reasonable lead, the Demons rattle home and in a nail biter, Dogs just hold on.

We had a good record against the Dogs in 2016, winning by 57 points in Rd 13 and 25 points in Rd 19.
H&A and finals are different for us.
2013 we beat our QF and PF opponents (Dockers once, Hawks twice) in the H&A before losing finals to them. We'd actually won 11 straight against the Hawks prior to that game.
2014 we beat North twice before losing a final to them.
2017 we beat Tigers in the H&A before losing a final to them.
2018 we beat Melbourne in the H&A twice before losing a final to them.
2019 we beat Collingwood and Richmond in the H&A before losing finals to them.
2020 we beat Port by 60 points before losing a final to them.
2021 we beat Port before losing a final to them...

When finals come around, for us, H&A form is a non-factor. We don't handle it regardless of how we played them before.

H&A and finals are different for us.
2013 we beat our QF and PF opponents (Dockers once, Hawks twice) in the H&A before losing finals to them. We'd actually won 11 straight against the Hawks prior to that game.
2014 we beat North twice before losing a final to them.
2017 we beat Tigers in the H&A before losing a final to them.
2018 we beat Melbourne in the H&A twice before losing a final to them.
2019 we beat Collingwood and Richmond in the H&A before losing finals to them.
2020 we beat Port by 60 points before losing a final to them.
2021 we beat Port before losing a final to them...

When finals come around, for us, H&A form is a non-factor. We don't handle it regardless of how we played them before.
True but 2016 we broke the finals curse beating the Hawks. Had we then beaten Sydney, who we were their bunnies, you could argue confidence and self believe would be through the roof.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In 2016 you lost to the swans by 37 points in the prelim who lost the dogs in the final 🤔

The Bulldogs would have murdered Geelong in 2016 I reckon. Not sure why Geelong fans still think they could have won this game.

Even back then it was apparent that high pressure is the way to beat Geelong and that was a very hot grand final pressure wise.

Demons pretty comfortably. They are pretty evenly matched in midfield, but they have no match for Gawn in the ruck. Gives Melbourne big advantage in centre bounce.

Don’t think the Dogs forwards can score against the Dees defence, unless Naughton unleashes. He is a helluva mark.

Before people laud Josh Schake offering another options, worth remembering Gary Rohan was great in the prelim last year, and a bad grand final is highly likely from him and probably Gardiner and a few others at other end.

Dees get on top in the midfield early it could be a belting, really dont think that defence will hold up against the Dees forwards.
Yeah, Dees are more likely to win by a lot but if the Dogs are on it will be a close game. Melbourne's forward line is not great and there is no way Gawn will score goals like in the prelim. Petracca will not get the space he got against Geelong's banged up and aging midfield. Alex Keith and Cody Weightman are big ins for the Dogs as well and Stefan Martin will give Gawn a contest.

Big fan of both these squads but I’m finding it hard to root against the Dees in this one. Numbers suggest this should be a close one but I think Melbourne wins by double digits.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The Bulldogs would have murdered Geelong in 2016 I reckon. Not sure why Geelong fans still think they could have won this game.

Even back then it was apparent that high pressure is the way to beat Geelong and that was a very hot grand final pressure wise.

Was it ever. We would not have won that game.

Dees smashed a banged up and virus ridden bunch of old codgers, Dogs smashed a team on their home ground that had smashed Geelong in their previous game. Dogs will win the GF.

Dees smashed a banged up and virus ridden bunch of old codgers, Dogs smashed a team on their home ground that had smashed Geelong in their previous game. Dogs will win the GF.
I think the lack of games, and the lack of competitive games is going to hurt Melbourne. The only competitive game they have had was against us at Goomba in Rd 23. Thats a long time to wait to play a hard match. If the Dogs get the jump on them I wonder what happens.

This is from the amazing coincidences thread on the main board....

Interesting to know that Australia’s last notable earthquake was in 2016, the year the dogs won their second flag.

Also, one of Australia’s most damaging earthquake happened in 1954, the year the dogs won their first flag

Is yesterday’s earthquake a sign that the Doggies could be housing just their third Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back