Great AFL Quotes

Remove this Banner Ad

"The most pathetic ruckman I have ever seen in my entire life in footy".

Blight on David Pittman.

I thought you were hyper-exaggerating what Blight said and hunted it up (The Joy of Six: AFL rallying cries). Turns out (sorry!) you were spot on.

Post a game v Richmond in 1997 Blight said “To start like that means you won’t win, particularly with a pathetic effort from Pittman in ruck,” said Blight. “I mean, it was the most disgraceful display I’ve ever seen from a big fella. That’s pretty hard on an individual but he’s going to have to live with that…” At the post-match press conference, Blight continued his attack, labeling Pittman “the most pathetic ruckman I have ever seen in my entire life in footy.”.

From about 24 hours after Blight said that, Pittman among a group of my footy mates was always referred to as Pittafull, even when he was assist coach at my club and helped us win the flag in 2004. :eek:

"Put on your superman capes it wharfie time" - Matthew Pavlich

“I shouldn’t say this in front of the cameras, but it’s very, very difficult to see where we’re going to lose a game,” - Mick Malthouse

“Shouldn’t you be home with your dying son?” - Will Minson

"Are you in yet?" - Julie Dal Santo*

*May not of actually been said.
Minson quote was one the most bag of dicks things ever said on a footy field. Right there with Montys crack at Rama about having cancer.

TBF to buddy he is not going to come out and say i went to Sydney for the Money, Drugs and Women now his he?
There's plenty of drugs, money and women in Melbourne. And, as an added bonus, he could have played in 2 more premierships, and not contracted depression and gone out in straight sets....

Not that I'm still bitter about Buddy leaving. Far from it. We've been better without him.

Winning 3 straight flags, over 5 years later, doesn't make up for the utter stupidity of Kennett's comment
He was talking about the 'rivalry'. Look at the actual facts before you accuse someone of blatant stupidity. Since 2008, they have beaten us in 11 regular Home and Away games and one single, non-knock out final. We've beaten them in a Grand Final, a Preliminary final, a Qualifying final and now a couple of Home and Away games that I can scarcely even remember. Which would you choose?

Not looking so stupid now, is it...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was talking about the 'rivalry'. Look at the actual facts before you accuse someone of blatant stupidity. Since 2008, they have beaten us in 11 regular Home and Away games and one single, non-knock out final. We've beaten them in a Grand Final, a Preliminary final, a Qualifying final and now a couple of Home and Away games that I can scarcely even remember. Which would you choose?

The Kennett curse was the 11 game winning streak Geelong held over hawthorn between the 2008 grand final and the 2013 preliminary final, which had no apparent correlation to the teams' formlines. It was 'blamed' on Jeff Kennett's gloating words used in the wake of Hawthorns 2008 grand final victory over Geelong.
It has got nothing to do with hawthorns string of wins over Geelong in the last few years, where they have clearly been the most powerful team in the league.

The Kennett curse was the 11 game winning streak Geelong held over hawthorn between the 2008 grand final and the 2013 preliminary final, which had no apparent correlation to the teams' formlines. It was 'blamed' on Jeff Kennett's gloating words used in the wake of Hawthorns 2008 grand final victory over Geelong.
It has got nothing to do with hawthorns string of wins over Geelong in the last few years, where they have clearly been the most powerful team in the league.
The concept of the 'Kennett curse' is nonsense. But, when you read what he actually said, it actually still rings absolutely true today. We beat them when it matters. In the greater scheme of things, 11 home and away games don't matter. What he said is absolutely accurate.

If he'd said 'they just can't beat us', you would be right and he would look a fool. But that's not what he said.

You've beaten them in a Grand Final since 2008?

Which one?

The concept of the 'Kennett curse' is nonsense. But, when you read what he actually said, it actually still rings absolutely true today. We beat them when it matters. In the greater scheme of things, 11 home and away games don't matter. What he said is absolutely accurate.

If he'd said 'they just can't beat us', you would be right and he would look a fool. But that's not what he said.

Qualifying finals don't matter?

You know you've got someone beat when they argue semantics....
Beat? I'm not arguing with you at all. This is my first post on this subject.

It was just a question coz I was curious. Weird you got so upset.

But without the emotion can you answer?

Maybe so, but you can't deny that quote and the following 5 or so years worth of entertaining clashes have been one of the most (for want of a better word) controversial topics in football history. Simply the clashing opinions here prove that it is one of footballs great/legendary quotes.

Beat? I'm not arguing with you at all. This is my first post on this subject.

It was just a question coz I was curious. Weird you got so upset.

But without the emotion can you answer?
Upset? Emotional? You have strange definitions of those words my friend. Maybe look them up for future reference.

You know, unless you are a halfwit, that Kennett was referring to the '08 GF when he made those comments. You know yourself that asking that question was just nitpicking semantics. I genuinely hope you know anyway...

Maybe so, but you can't deny that quote and the following 5 or so years worth of entertaining clashes have been one of the most (for want of a better word) controversial topics in football history. Simply the clashing opinions here prove that it is one of footballs great/legendary quotes.
I agree 100%, it's a legendary quote. I don't agree however, that it made him look stupid (and I'm no Kennett fanboy, I assure you).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back