Guess the attendance v Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

The woman in front of me asked what the capacity was, just before halftime. I explained what it officially was and that it probably could fit more. She then showed me here phone and she had googled Adelaide Oval and it said crowd 38,791 on the first page of the google search. I asked her to re google it late in the last quarter and it had the same figure. I didn't ask what page it was linked to but I have no idea where that figure came from and what it was related to.

Round 4 crowds:

Richmond v Collingwood - 62k
Carlton v Melbourne - 37k
Port v Brisbane - 36k
Fremantle v Essendon - 36k

Sydney v North - 25k
Geelong v West Coast - 25k
St. Kilda v Adelaide - 23k

Gold Coast v Hawthorn - 17k
GWS v Bulldogs - 8k

I can only imagine an even better crowd for the next home game against Geelong. When we played Melbourne a few seasons ago at the Oval in the final round we got almost 30k. That is 30,000 Port people that want to see us play there straight up, that was a 'good crowd' back then, the people came to the ground they wanted. Fast track to today and we have 50k members - 50k to our first game, the home Showdown, a mostly teal affair which continued to show that the people want to watch us. We obviously wont get 50k to every game but the fact that 36k came on a Saturday afternoon against 'lesser' opposition (no disrespect to them, it's just in comparison to 'bigger' teams) should mean that the people are back and in tune with the club. We can now expect a strong turnout of Port people that want to see us beat Geelong, f**king finally, at our home ground. 35k is probably the standard that's quickly been set but we have to keep aiming high - cracking or topping 40k when we host Essendon, Hawthorn or Carlton. I really hope the Adelaide Oval factor does get a few more Vics over here though, different color and cheering is welcome in the Port cauldron. We also host the likes of the Dogs and Saints but forget under 30k - the people should be coming to see us regardless at the end of the day.

Last edited:
Crows get the first true night game round 9 v Collingwood, then we're up the next week Saturday night against Hawthorn. Huge two weeks for the oval.

The woman in front of me asked what the capacity was, just before halftime. I explained what it officially was and that it probably could fit more. She then showed me here phone and she had googled Adelaide Oval and it said crowd 38,791 on the first page of the google search. I asked her to re google it late in the last quarter and it had the same figure. I didn't ask what page it was linked to but I have no idea where that figure came from and what it was related to.
It's an automated Google result from an old Wikipedia entry is my guess. It comes up after googling 'Adelaide Oval capacity'

abugery2.jpg

10-15 minutes before the game started I was really worried about the crowd but I reckon the last 10-15 thousand all took their seats in that time leading up to the start of the game.

I was the same, looked around and thought s**t .... but also in the back of my mind remembered how full the city/bridge was so wondered if they were all outside or under the stands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

10-15 minutes before the game started I was really worried about the crowd but I reckon the last 10-15 thousand all took their seats in that time leading up to the start of the game.

I got there later than I wanted to and spent about 10 minutes outside having a look at a couple of things and looked at how many people were still coming over the bridge. I heard an announcement about 1-20 to look at the sky so at about 1-18 decided to go in the southern gate and then walked from the southern gate area all the way around to the middle of the eastern stand. That corridor at the back of level 1 was packed with people buying stuff or talking to friends. I thought s**t theres probably 15,000 people not in their seats yet. And when I got to my seat I thought there is only 20,000 in their seats.

Very happy with the crowd on the weekend.

Even more impressed with how Ken and the boys commented on the size of the crowd.

It's very comforting to know what they deem a good size crowd and are not influenced by pissants and people in the media.
Not bad for a suburban football club from a 'Big country town'.

I had two young kids with me so by them time I got to our seats it was half way through the second quarter.
(Anyone with kids under 7 will know why)

The two areas that looked sparse to me were the Don Bradman stand and the corporate boxes in the Riverbank stand.
Some things will never change.

I had two young kids with me so by them time I got to our seats it was half way through the second quarter.
(Anyone with kids under 7 will know why)

The two areas that looked sparse to me were the Don Bradman stand and the corporate boxes in the Riverbank stand.
Some things will never change.

The back 1/3 of the Riverbank stand was pretty empty with virtually no one in the back 1/5 rows. That's where general admin tickets are sold and crowies sat there for the showdown.

How empty was the back 1/3 or so the eastern grand stand for those who sat in the western stand and were looking across.

The Geelong game will be the first game under lights at AO, should be spectacular.
Sunday twilight game. Ugg. Worse timeslot of all, especially with primary school age kids. Only saw a handful of Brisbane fans and no stadium member dressed out in Crows gear on Saturday so can take almost all supported Port.

For the Geelong game starting with the 36k against Brisbane I'd take off 1k for the shitty time slot, add 2k for more Geelong fans for a 37k starting point.
From there it depends how we go next week. Win and I think 40k is not unreasonable. Respectable loss 37k, bad loss 32k.

Saturday's crowd of 36,231 is the 2nd biggest home and away crowd in SA or Brisbane 2nd only to

46,439 Rd 22 2002 Saturday arvo game when both sides playing for top spot to avoid potential MCG "home" PF rule

Next biggest in SA
34,892 Rd 2 2005 Saturday night game first home game after won the 2004 flag

Biggest in Brisbane
35,221 R21 2005 Saturday night, both sides playing to make the 8 - we won that. Before the game Bris equal 6th 10 wins with 4 other sides and Port 11th with 9 wins 1 draw. Since this game the biggest crowd between these 2 sides in SA or Qld has been 26,439 at the Gabba Rd 21 2009 when Lions made the finals for the only time since 2004 GF. They haven't played in finals since 2009.

2 Finals in Brisbane
33,047 PF 2002
32,380 QF 2001

Back end of Eastern stand seemed to be pretty full probably 75% at the start but looked close to 95% full towards the end of the game

reckon a fair few people went up there to avoid the sun

Russell Ebert Handball

Remove this Banner Ad

Back