Guys who are ready to take the next step

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, Dahlhaus will probably be playing more forward than midfield. His forward pressure is elite, which is something we lack. He'll be used for short bursts through the midfield but he doesn't have the tank to play predominantly through there.

To say he'll average over 100 is madness. I reckon he'll average around 90. And for his price that's not enough.
Couldn't agree more. Can give you some really impactful, short bursts through the middle, but does his best work as a dangerous, pressure applying, small forward. Plays a similar role to Rioli.
I'm not sure about this prevailing belief that seems to be around that all players need to become midfielders. Some players are just more damaging and valuable elsewhere. Flexibility is great, but only when it actually benefits the team.

So so so much more indicates Newnes will be a big part of our midfield. Increased PBs throughout the preseason and has been top 2 or so in them all. Has steadily increased his midfield time % over the past couple of years. Is coming into the years in the system/games played where he may break out. Personally I definitely don't see him as the backline saviour, however to mention him in the same breath as Grant is borderline ridiculous. There are a number of things that point towards him having a solid year and break out into def premium territory, I would say he should average 85-95. Consistency would be the biggest issue but with a much bigger motor I would imagine he would stay in games longer. Was also a strong tackler for us last year if I recall so may be able to score alright without the ball as well.

Don't underestimate the value (within the actual SC game itself) his DPP has as well, once the season progresses.

I.e. Mid rookie matures, trade him out $$, switch Newnes to mids, bring in Defensive premo.

Then Def rookie matures $$, switch Newnes back, Deledio/Gray/Dusty/Goddard to Mids, then bring in fallen fwd premo.

As examples.

I'm not 100% sold, but I'll probably end up picking him

we're all hoping he's the David Swallow of 2015
Im a big saints fan and a big newnes fan... but
A. newnes isn't in the same class as d swallow.

B. swallow played fulltime midfield last year, newnes won't get that even if he's doing well.

The saints have a glut of half forward and half back options that could be mids (billings savage shenton templeton wright etc etc it goes on forever).

we WILL have a different mid setup every single week. richo isn't under pressure for wins so this year will be all about experimenting.

Not good for those hoping to lock newnes in for a 90+ av.

Couldn't agree more. Can give you some really impactful, short bursts through the middle, but does his best work as a dangerous, pressure applying, small forward. Plays a similar role to Rioli.
I'm not sure about this prevailing belief that seems to be around that all players need to become midfielders. Some players are just more damaging and valuable elsewhere. Flexibility is great, but only when it actually benefits the team.

When it comes to SuperCoach players running through the midfield is more relevant than ever. Dahlhaus played through the midfield more in 2014 than 2013, recent player changers at the doggies suggest even MORE time. I'm not saying he's going to be a full blown midfielder of course not, hes a gun forward.

Hit the nail on the head.

Why would you play Breust through the midfield when he's elite as a forward? I can't be bothered listing any more examples because I'm lazy :p

But the thing is, as soon as someone becomes elite in one position, for some reason the fans always say he should move into the midfield. This is more prominent in the small forward or HBF positions. See: LeCras, Ballantyne, and many others.

Especially when the midfield is crazily stacked already, it can be far more beneficial for the team to keep an elite player in the position they're elite in.

When it comes to SuperCoach players running through the midfield is more relevant than ever. Dahlhaus played through the midfield more in 2014 than 2013, recent player changers at the doggies suggest even MORE time. I'm not saying he's going to be a full blown midfielder of course not, hes a gun forward.
Not sure I agree with either of your assertions.
Not all footballers are guaranteed to score more when running through the middle than they would playing in their preferred positions. Jack Grimes a recent example. Some will, sure, but not all.
With regards to Dahlhaus, I'm not sure the Dogs list changes suggest more midfield time for him, or anything else for that matter. I think they allow you to make assumptions about such things, but they don't suggest them all on their own. Just because there is more midfield time available, doesn't mean Dahlhaus will get it. Plenty of others that have been groomed for a midfield role also, people with less ability as a forward than Dahlhaus.

Not sure I agree with either of your assertions.
Not all footballers are guaranteed to score more when running through the middle than they would playing in their preferred positions. Jack Grimes a recent example. Some will, sure, but not all.
With regards to Dahlhaus, I'm not sure the Dogs list changes suggest more midfield time for him, or anything else for that matter. I think they allow you to make assumptions about such things, but they don't suggest them all on their own. Just because there is more midfield time available, doesn't mean Dahlhaus will get it. Plenty of others that have been groomed for a midfield role also, people with less ability as a forward than Dahlhaus.

Yeah I agree there all assumptions and speculations in what at the end of the day makes this game a great thing.

I started with Dahlhaus last year because he looked slightly underpriced at $425k. He served my team well all year and outscored some of the more expensive forwards. If he gets less midfield time and more forward time, he's too expensive at $493k IMO. I'm leaning towards T.Mitchell instead. I'm also considering Stringer and Bontempelli though it could be Bulldog bias influencing my thoughts!

I started with Dahlhaus last year because he looked slightly underpriced at $425k. He served my team well all year and outscored some of the more expensive forwards. If he gets less midfield time and more forward time, he's too expensive at $493k IMO. I'm leaning towards T.Mitchell instead. I'm also considering Stringer and Bontempelli though it could be Bulldog bias influencing my thoughts!
Bonti>>>>>>>Mitchell

203919-walker-mullet.jpg

Kicks goals when played forward and no questions over his job security
He lacks consistency as an SC scorer though.

I love the guy, and I'm sure he'll become a better player than Mitchell. But SC wise, Mitchell is ahead of him at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im a big saints fan and a big newnes fan... but
A. newnes isn't in the same class as d swallow.

B. swallow played fulltime midfield last year, newnes won't get that even if he's doing well.

The saints have a glut of half forward and half back options that could be mids (billings savage shenton templeton wright etc etc it goes on forever).

we WILL have a different mid setup every single week. richo isn't under pressure for wins so this year will be all about experimenting.

Not good for those hoping to lock newnes in for a 90+ av.

BEST POST ON NEWNES IN 2015

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

I love the guy, and I'm sure he'll become a better player than Mitchell. But SC wise, Mitchell is ahead of him at the moment.
Mitchell doesn't have the job security does he?

Bulldogs have a few brave options though that are awkwardly priced - Bonti at $422k, Stringer (killing pre-season) at $372k and Biggs at $209k who should be part of the "$200k club" discussion with Brayshaw, Acres, Van Berlo & Newton

I am going insane at actually considering a few mid-pricers this year - KK in the $300s, Wells and Rich back from injury, and Swan is almost a must-have

But will Mitchell play that s***-kicker HFF role like he did last year before he got injured? Longmire only seems to prefer 1 true inside type (JPK) and all the rest of their midfield contingent are versatile inside-out types who tackle, run and carry etc like Jack, Parker, McGlynn, Bird.

Agree on Bonti with consistency due to spending time forward (Hawthorn game for etc) but he can pump out 100s from only 20 possies, imagine when he starts averaging 25 a game. I think with looking at Bonti's scores from last year, scrap his 1st couple of games where he was getting the feel of AFL then judge him from round 13 onwards.

His best games were:

Rnd 13 22 possies 91SC vs Collingwood RS nomination
Rnd 14 24 possies 91SC vs Port (got thumped)
Rnd 15 17 possies 129SC vs Melbourne (kicked the winning miracle goal)
Rnd 16 21 possies 111SC vs Geelong
Rnd 18 13 possies 97SC vs Essendon
Rnd 20 15 possies 85SC vs St Kilda
Rnd 21 23 possies 139SC vs North
Rnd 23 19 possies 105SC vs GWS

Was ok against Gold Coast for a 68 but played mainly across HF that game, his only true poor ones were against Sydney and Hawthorn, had poor tackle counts in those games too IIRC.

Bulldogs have a few brave options though that are awkwardly priced - Bonti at $422k, Stringer (killing pre-season) at $372k and Biggs at $209k who should be part of the "$200k club" discussion with Brayshaw, Acres, Van Berlo & Newton
I was of the opinion that Mitchell will have pretty good job security this year when talking to a couple of Sydney mates. And if I'm wrong, I'll blame Tony Abbott again.

With the dogs, I don't like Stringer for SC. Even in some of his awesome games last year he only scored 90ish.

I also am not really a fan of that 200K club apart from Van Berlo, who has the job security. But Biggs should definitely be in that discussion.

I am going insane at actually considering a few mid-pricers this year - KK in the $300s, Wells and Rich back from injury, and Swan is almost a must-have
Stay away from Wells and Rich Mof, won't be keepers, yeah if no one pops up from down back then KK, Langdon etc might have to be considered

I was of the opinion that Mitchell will have pretty good job security this year when talking to a couple of Sydney mates. And if I'm wrong, I'll blame Tony Abbott again.

With the dogs, I don't like Stringer for SC. Even in some of his awesome games last year he only scored 90ish.

I also am not really a fan of that 200K club apart from Van Berlo, who has the job security. But Biggs should definitely be in that discussion.
I guess it's all risk vs reward - personally I see more rick in job security being an issue than a 5 points pw average lower than expected player.

NAB cup will be very enlightening - already tempted to sub out Mitch Clark as the first sign of a niggle with a few forward rookie options that look tempting (Daniel, Krakour & Lambert depending again on likely job security)

I guess it's all risk vs reward - personally I see more rick in job security being an issue than a 5 points pw average lower than expected player.
Agreed, same goes with players with injury histories that struggle to rack up 20 games a year (unless you're a super premium like GAJ, Rockliff or Fyfe)

Stay away from Wells and Rich Mof, won't be keepers, yeah if no one pops up from down back then KK, Langdon etc might have to be considered
Brissie board seems pretty bullish on him - they're also throwing another mid pricer in the mix (Mayes) as a backline pick.
Will change teams around 3,479 more times before round 1 anyway I guess.

Brissie board seems pretty bullish on him - they're also throwing another mid pricer in the mix (Mayes) as a backline pick.

If rich had dpp he'd be a good pick.
as a mid he's a poor pick

Mayes you can throw into the KK, Langdon, Seedsman, Ricky Henderson, Rampe basket. NAB Challenge will hopefully tell us who to pick out of these guys at D3/4/5 etc.

Rich hell no, I ain't paying that for a straight mid who won't average 105, if he were a DEF/MID then you'd consider him but not when there's better options out there like Lachie Neale.

Kicks goals when played forward and no questions over his job security

He is a second year player. Thats the key point.

A few things tend to happen to players in their second year, which is the reason second year blues is actually a thing.

First year players are given freedom from both their own clubs (for the purpose of assessment and testing) and from opposition clubs because they do not tend to pose too much of a threat in comparison to other more seasoned players.

By the second year, opposition teams tend to pay a little more attention, they have a second preseason under the belt and teams are now more aware of the damage they could do. They dont have the same freedom they had the previous year, as they are generally expected to play more of a role. Put simply, they are going to receive a lot more attention from the opposition at the same time as being expected to hold down a specific role.

People may disagree with me here, and obviously this is not a rule that applies 100% of the time, but a quality first year very rarely turns into a break out second year, regardless of the quality of the player.

Bonts will improve, most players do, but I will be impressed if he manages any higher than mid 80's. As always happy to be proven wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back